How do you handle two highborns fighting over a highborn lady?

Angel Eyes

8 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

So when two highborn lords want to marry the same lady, who should get the girl? Say if Ned had a ward at Winterfell who wanted to marry Sansa at the same time as the beginning of AGOT, how would the situation be resolved? 

Duel resolved issue between Daemon Targaryen and former betrothed of Laena Velaryon.

13 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

So when two highborn lords want to marry the same lady, who should get the girl? Say if Ned had a ward at Winterfell who wanted to marry Sansa at the same time as the beginning of AGOT, how would the situation be resolved? 

Well I think you have to take Joff out of the equation because he's in a standing all his own as the Crown Prince; no Lord is likely to refuse his daughter even if he wanted to.  

The Westeros ladies we've seen at the very top of the social scale would have no say in the matter at all.  Cersei, Cat, Lyanna, Sansa, Margaery had no say. Their fathers would weigh the land, riches, title, house, adjacency, loyalty if it were a bannerman, of the candidates and decide which most benefited him as an alliance. A ward like Littlefinger wouldn't stand a chance with someone like Cat, but wards come with all types of social status and if he'd been ranked as high as Brandon as heir to a kingdom he might have stood a chance

As mentioned the father decides, but I think the idea of the duel is that the loser is honor-bound to drop his suit. Well, that or die which settles the matter by default. 

I don't think that means that the father is in any way shape or form obliged to accept the winner as a groom. 

On 9/23/2018 at 2:52 PM, Angel Eyes said:

Trial by combat.  Joffrey's hound dog against the ward.  

Archived