Robert Arryn is LF's bastard, obviously. Some secrets you don't share even to close family.

honorable men

Nope. Lysa is explicitly clear that she "would have given" Petyr a son, "but they murdered him."

"NO!" Lysa gave Sansa's head another wrench. Snow eddied around them, making their skirts snap noisily. "You can't want her. You can't. She's a stupid empty-headed little girl. She doesn't love you the way I have. I've always loved you. I've proved it, haven't I?" Tears ran down her aunt's puffy red face. "I gave you my maiden's gift. I would have given you a son too, but they murdered him with moon tea, with tansy and mint and wormwood, a spoon of honey and a drop of pennyroyal. It wasn't me, I never knew, I only drank what Father gave me . . ." (ASOS: Sansa VII)

She wants to make a child with Petyr, but she has no living child with Petyr.

II'll put money on the fact that Little rob is actually Jon's son. He's just sick because either he was born on pretty bad conditions (a bad womb or poor sanitary conditions, as we're in medieval times this wouldn't be that uncommon) or he's being poisoned for some reason. The fact the Lysa already said that one of her child with petyr was killed in her womb and never gave any hint that rob is petyr's son I make me believe he is simply Jon's.

Jon Arryn was not shooting blanks. His first wife, Jeyne Royce, died after delivering a stillborn daughter. We don't know how long he was married to his second wife before she died. And Lysa had a grand total of eight pregnancies. 

Sweetrobin doesn't look like Littlefinger. If it's a hair color thing, then Hoster Tully did not have auburn hair, he had brown hair too. 

Not everyone in the story has secret parents. 

We really need the next book.

Aside from Lysa's explicitly statement that she would have given Petyr a son, but they murdered him, there are her explicit statement that Robert is Jon's seed.

Lysa seated herself near the fire and said, "Come to Mother, my sweet one." She straightened his bedclothes and fussed with his fine brown hair. "Isn't he beautiful? And strong too, don't you believe the things you hear. Jon knew. The seed is strong, he told me. His last words. He kept saying Robert's name, and he grabbed my arm so hard he left marks. Tell them, the seed is strong. His seed. He wanted everyone to know what a good strong boy my baby was going to be." (AGOT: Catelyn VI)

14 hours ago, Pukisbaisals said:

This is interesting. But in this case I would expect Robin's health to improve after his mother died.

Not really.  Severe lead poisoning leads to mental retardation and behavioral disorders (along with a host of other disorders).  Shoot, even low levels of exposure can have horrible effects.  It's neurological and behavioral effects are irreversible. If SR was being poisoned by lead in such a manner, it's likely that nothing is going to help him get significantly better.

I'm on the fence as to who I think is actual biological father is, but since the world thinks it's Jon that's pretty much what matters.  Seeing as I think he's going to die soon anyway, I'm not sure it matters all that much. 

8 minutes ago, LyrnaSnowBunnyAvenger said:

Not really.  Severe lead poisoning leads to mental retardation and behavioral disorders (along with a host of other disorders).  Shoot, even low levels of exposure can have horrible effects.  It's neurological and behavioral effects are irreversible. If SR was being poisoned by lead in such a manner, it's likely that nothing is going to help him get significantly better.

I'm on the fence as to who I think is actual biological father is, but since the world thinks it's Jon that's pretty much what matters.  Seeing as I think he's going to die soon anyway, I'm not sure it matters all that much. 

I have a theory that Lysa and Sweetrobin had lead poisoning. Can be found Here.

27 minutes ago, Pukisbaisals said:

Hair color. Lysa had auburn hair, Jon Arryn was blond, Robin has brown hair. Now I refuse to believe Robin is Jon's.

Hoster Tully had brown hair.

Hoster Tully had always been a big man; tall and broad in his youth, portly as he grew older. Now he seemed shrunken, the muscle and meat melted off his bones. Even his face sagged. The last time Catelyn had seen him, his hair and beard had been brown, well streaked with grey. Now they had gone white as snow. (AGOT: Catelyn XI)

Robert has brown hair, like his maternal grandfather Hoster Tully. Lysa is explicitly clear that her only child with Petyr was killed. She has no living child from Petyr. Nor is Petyr ever actually stated to have brown hair.

1 hour ago, Bael's Bastard said:

there are her explicit statement that Robert is Jon's seed.

This is another overwhelming "clue" that SURPRISE!!! Lysa and Jon Arryn's son IS their son! (Who would have thought?) Quibbling over the hair color - especially over shades of brown!! the most common Anglo hair color in the world! - is, in my opinion, a fool's errand. I can see distinguishing between black hair which dominates, generation after generation, regardless of who was crossbred, and generations of golden hair which don't always breed true, but splitting hairs over brown v auburn brown v reddish brown v mousy brown v ... well, you get the picture. It's a nearly meaningless "distinction."

Regarding a "secret affair":  if Lysa typically screams like one of Baelish's 'hos in bed, then if Lysa and Petyr had gotten it on (1) It would have been noticed in the Red Keep, and (2) Baelish probably wouldn't have done it more than once. But he's not stupid enough to set himself up to be potentially revealed by gabby, braggy Lysa, is he?

Gabby, braggy, and somewhat deranged Lysa, who would stop at nothing to shame her horrid father Hoster and to get her soft white hands on Petyr's dear body again. She didn't - not until they rendesvoused in the Baelish Castlette in the Fingers.

10 minutes ago, Bael's Bastard said:

Robert has brown hair, like his maternal grandfather Hoster Tully. Lysa is explicitly clear that her only child with Petyr was killed. She has no living child from Petyr. Nor is Petyr ever actually stated to have brown hair.

Dark hair parents can have blond children, not other way around.  Here I am simplifying things a bit, but in general dark-haired child born to auburn-haired and blond parents is seven hell suspicious.

I think Littlefinger has dark hair.  I not insist Littlefinger is Robin's father. Lysa enjoyed company of her suitors in Eyrie, maybe she enjoyed company of men in KL as well.

Also, she herself could sincerely believe child is Jon's :

17 hours ago, LadyOlenna said:

That said, I'm not sure if LF , and even Lysa herself, know about Robert's parentage. It could well be that she had sex with both Petyr and her husband in the same week, or even day. Even if that didn't happen Robert could have been born premature, and that could trick even Lysa into thinking he was Jon's son.

3 minutes ago, Pukisbaisals said:

Dark hair parents can have blond children, not other way around.  Here I am simplifying things a bit, but in general dark-haired child born to auburn-haired and blond parents is seven hell suspicious.

It's not suspicious for Robert to have brown hair when his mother's father Hoster Tully had brown hair. It's not as though he came out with some out of left field hair color that none of his recent ancestors had. There is one generation between him and his brown haired grandfather. His brown haired grandfather that had a brother with auburn hair, and children with auburn hair. There's nothing unusual about that. And we are missing information about the hair color of Lysa's mother Minisa Whent, and Jon's father Jasper, and Jon's unknown mother. For that matter, the closest thing to a description of Jon's hair color is in a description of Harrold Hardyng, where it isn't explicitly clear that he shares the same hair color as Jon, and whose hair is described as "sandy blonde" anyways: "Men old enough to have known Jon Arryn in his youth said Ser Harrold had his look, she knew. He had a mop of sandy blond hair, pale blue eyes, an aquiline nose."

8 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

It's not suspicious for Robert to have brown hair when his mother's father Hoster Tully had brown hair. It's not as though he came out with some out of left field hair color that none of his recent ancestors had. There is one generation between him and his brown haired grandfather. His brown haired grandfather that had a brother with auburn hair, and children with auburn hair. There's nothing unusual about that.

I am not so sure about it.

“Come to Mother, my sweet one.” She straightened his bedclothes and fussed with his fine brown hair. “Isn’t he beautiful? And strong too, don’t you believe the things you hear. Jon knew. The seed is strong, he told me. His last words. He kept saying Robert’s name, and he grabbed my arm so hard he left marks. Tell them, the seed is strong.

(AGoT, Ch.34 Catelyn VI)

It's not really a secret. SweetRobin has the fine brown hair of House Strong of Harrenhal. What isn't clear to me (but probably would be clear to King Robert, or to Eddard, if either of them bothered to read the right part of Malleon) is why this information is so vitally important to Jon Arryn, who, with his excellent knowledge of breeding, and his long history of failing to, very probably knew already that he was not the biological father of Lysa's child.

That would explain, by the by, why everyone we know who looked into Malleon except Lord Baelish has died a sudden death shortly afterward. Two (Jon Arryn, Eddard Stark) we know Petyr Baelish had direct involvement in. One (Pycelle) Varys claims but we notice that Maester Pycelle was struck, hard, over the back of the head with a reading candle, when the fire was still burning bright and the candles were fresh lit, before the children (or at least, the girl) who showed Kevan Lannister in, had need of furs for warmth. [ETA: Just re-read it and actually, Varys doesn't claim to have participated in or to have witnessed Pycelle's death, he only observes that "The Grand Maester befouled himself in dying, and the stink was so abominable that I thought I might choke." - Kevan might have gathered quite as much himself, if he had a more sensitive nose... or was not distracted by the arrow through his own bowels.]

Pycelle was not shot with a crossbow (note Varys' powdered hands, and the powdered cheeks of the Myrish bowmen - powder from the rosin of their bowstrings), nor was he stabbed to death with daggers (like Rhaenys, just saying - although not unlike Aegon/pisswater prince, now I think on it).  He was killed earlier, anyway. That much we can be sure of.

Tyrion noted Petyr Baelish's reaction when he offered to make him lord of Harrenhal

“Harrenhal.”
It was interesting to watch his face... Tyrion had seen the flash of hunger in those sly cat’s eyes. I have him, he knew. “Harrenhal is cursed,” Lord Petyr said after a moment, trying to sound bored.

(ACoK,Ch.17 Tyrion IV)

House Strong is associated with bastards and bastardry. We know that Petyr's great-grandfather was born in Braavos, and took the Titan as his sigil, but we don't know who his father was, or where he was born.

It strikes me as possible that Petyr's great-great-grandfather was a Strong from Westeros, and Malleon had documented the birth of his son on Braavos. It seems natural that a Westerosi emmigrant's son would harbour a desire to return to his father's land and regain a foothold there, even if of necessity under a less legendary name.

My guess is that this has a significance that King Robert, Jon Arryn, and Eddard were all aware of (although unaware of Petyr Baelish's heritage). And King Aerys, and Tywin. I'm guessing it was some kind of prophecy and that it gave King Aerys so much disquiet he was willing to kill a whole lot of bastard children from a whole lot of ancient houses for the sake of maintaining his crown.

Robert Baratheon might have started his rebellion to fight for the children (as Ned claimed once) , but once the crown was on his head, both he and Jon Arryn seemed to find a sense of relief in the slaughter Rhaegar's disenfranchised heirs, and Robert doesn't seem to have given up hope of hunting down the surviving children of Aerys either. I'm guessing the prophecy was something about bastards taking the throne (as Joffrey and Tommen have done). 

Re-reading Catelyn's first chapter, it strikes me that we take her word for how Ned feels about things, when Catelyn really isn't as certain of how her husband feels and where his affections lie, as she would like to be.  Catelyn is never certain about anything, really - it is a part of her character that she is always second guessing herself, but that seems to stem from the nagging awareness that if Eddard had been free to follow his heart, she would not have been his wife. 

Anyway, I get the impression that, when she sees Eddard's stricken look, she interprets it as grief that Jon has died, because as far as she knows, Jon was like a father and a brother both to Eddard. What she doesn't know is that Jon and Eddard had parted in bitter disagreement, the bitterness being at least on Eddard's side, and such intense bitterness that, when Eddard learns Jon Arryn passed suddenly, his first concern is with Lysa and SweetRobin, with ensuring that neither King Robert nor Lord Tywin have attempted to abduct, possibly to kill, and/or disenfranchise the child that is now the Lord of the Eyrie.

That Catelyn assumes the lifting of this darkness from his eyes is the news that King Robert is coming to see him at Winterfell - when it could be relief from realising that Robert is not marching out to the Vale of Arryn, and he does not have to risk the lives of his Stark/Tully children by using them as human shields in order to protect SweetRobin's birthright.

Although, of course, Eddard doesn't understand the significance of 'the seed is Strong' just by being told it. It doesn't occur to him that SweetRobin is other than Jon Arryn's son and heir.  But I'm guessing whatever the prophecy Aerys was killing Starks and Royces and Arryns and Baratheons and their heirs over, was to do with a child that was Warden of the East and Defender of the Vale, an honour Robert firmly denied SweetRobin, but Tywin restored on the condition that Petyr Baelish married Lysa. (Tywin might not have known the prophecy, or perhaps it was only something that Targaryens, Arryns, Baratheons, Starks, Royces, Lords of the Vale ought fear, and him and his being Lannisters of the Rock, he figures such a curse will only work in his favour.)  Whichever, Baelish seems perfectly happy to close his eyes and get it on with Lysa, for the sake of having the unenviable but much contested position of Lord Protector of the Eyrie (and, especially, SweetRobin) . Or maybe those catlike green eyes were wide open, and only squinting the better to see what we at the moment cannot.

ETA: Obvs, Lysa knew SweetRobin was Baelish's child. But she wanted her son to inherit the Eyrie, not the Drearfort. So she does her best to twist Jon's last words into a claim for her child. We know of her lies and inconstancy from her letter to Catelyn, and the way she greeted her sister to the Eyrie. Petyr warned her about telling Sansa too much, and Lysa might have had enough underhand guile to listen, when her child's safety and privileges were at stake. She is sly enough and bold enough, when her child is concerned,  to give King Robert, Tywin, Stannis (Note: Jon Arryn wanted SweetRobin on Dragonstone, not at the Eyrie, not even so near the Eyrie as the Twins)  , and Lord Frey the slip, and run to the impregnable Eyrie, knowing possession is nine tenths of the law.

On 9/24/2018 at 5:17 PM, Pukisbaisals said:

Lysa persuaded Jon  summon Petyr to his service in King's Landing, so they probably had opportunity to spend some time together.

The timeline would be really tight. Robert Arryn was born in 292 AC, so he would have to be conceived very early in 292 or, more likely, in 291. And Littlefinger came to King's Landing at some point in 292.

But anyway, I'm sure he is Jon's son. When Lysa is mad with rage (and about to be murdered by Littlefinger), she confesses:

“I gave you my maiden’s gift. I would have given you a son too, but they murdered him with moon tea, with tansy and mint and wormwood, a spoon of honey and a drop of pennyroyal. It wasn’t me, I never knew, I only drank what Father gave me. . .

Emphasis mine. If Little Robert had been Littlefinger's son, that wouldn't make any sense.

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:32 AM, honorable men said:

Mocking birds eats other birds eggs and then lay their own eggs in the original nest and the original birds ends up adopting and raising the mocking bird's kids.

Mockingbirds don't do that. You may be thinking of cuckoos.

They mimic other birds' songs, which is why they are called "mocking...". Littlefinger quips and plays people false.

3 hours ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Mockingbirds don't do that. You may be thinking of cuckoos.

They mimic other birds' songs, which is why they are called "mocking...". Littlefinger quips and plays people false.

Interesting. I went to look it up on wikipedia.

Probably just a fun fact, but mocking birds themselves are parasitised in cuckoo-fashion by the cow bird. By forum logic, that would mean Petyr himself has been taken advantage of - maybe Lysa hinted that SR was his? And that's why he was so keen to get over to the Vale and take control of the situation. Anyway, for a bonus, in AGOT, Lysa was described as a frightened cow.

3 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

Probably just a fun fact, but mocking birds themselves are parasitised in cuckoo-fashion by the cow bird. By forum logic, that would mean Petyr himself has been taken advantage of - maybe Lysa hinted that SR was his? And that's why he was so keen to get over to the Vale and take control of the situation. Anyway, for a bonus, in AGOT, Lysa was described as a frightened cow.

I think you're stretching a bit :-)

Archived