Robert Arryn is LF's bastard, obviously. Some secrets you don't share even to close family.

honorable men

As we know from R+L=J, There's certain secrets you need to keep secret and take to your grave, even from your own trusted family in order to protect them.(I hope I got that wording right) If you ever read GRRM's other works or viewed Preston Jacobs' videos, you'll know the author is kinda into genetics and auburn hair a little too much because his first two loves in his life has auburn hair. 4 out of 5 stark kids are more Tully looking than Stark. And Jon Snow looks like Ned despite heavy inbreeding from his real father's side, go figure.

Now in this paragraph I could further details about Lysa & Jon's loveless marriage, and Jon's history of stillborns and miscarriages. All of Lysa's comments about Jon. But you already know this. No need to explain Lysa & Jon's "relationship".

I don't know how fantasy world's Moon Tea works. But I'm guessing Lysa wasn't the only one who ever used it and since she and LF were banging a lot, should could've used again and again. And probably used the correct dosage or something and learned how to handle the side effects etc. Again I don't know, its fantasy world abortion. Not Medical Science. The Red Comet could've made the Moon Tea easily. Who Knows. Or the Hooded Man could brew up a perfect cup but he was too late to give it to the miller kids' mom.

But what I'm suggesting is that Robert Arryn could be the result of a failed abortion. Its pretty much a GRRM's thing to do.

As for LF. LF lacks empathy, is a complete sociopath, doesn't care about people in general, could never bring himself to attempt to love or bond with the kid. The Name Robert Arryn suits him more than Robert Baelish or Robert Stone.

Lastly, LF purposely changed his sigil to a mocking bird from a Braavosi's Titan's head. Not even remotely close or related. If you don't know. Mocking birds eats other birds eggs and then lay their own eggs in the original nest and the original birds ends up adopting and raising the mocking bird's kids.

We're being smacked over with subtle hints.

I think it's possible. Lysa persuaded Jon  summon Petyr to his service in King's Landing, so they probably had opportunity to spend some time together. Robin took after Lysa, not Jon Arryn.

But I disagree on abortion issue. Lysa loved Petyr, she wanted his child. She never forgave her father for making her get rid of her first child. She had no reason to get rid of Jon's child either, she needed him to strengthen her position as lady Arryn. Finally, she became ruling lady of Vale as mother of Arryn's heir.

Robin is weak because first use of moon tea had complications which affected Lysa's fertility.

Or maybe he just was born like this because of some special heredity, which made him sickly but also gifted in some way.

Or maybe all fertility problems came not from Lysa, but from Jon Arryn, who had no children with his two wives before Lysa, so  Robin could be his trueborn son.

15 hours ago, honorable men said:

Lastly, LF purposely changed his sigil to a mocking bird from a Braavosi's Titan's head. Not even remotely close or related. If you don't know. Mocking birds eats other birds eggs and then lay their own eggs in the original nest and the original birds ends up adopting and raising the mocking bird's kids.

Perhaps more birds do this, but so far as I know it's the cuckoo that leaves their eggs on other birds' nests and lets them raise them.

Don't know if this works translation-wise but there is a swedish expression "gök-unge" (~Cuckoo's-kid) for children that does not look like its father and/or have questionable parentage.

14 hours ago, honorable men said:

But what I'm suggesting is that Robert Arryn could be the result of a failed abortion. Its pretty much a GRRM's thing to do.

you are dead wrong. Jon Arryn needed an heir. Lysa was known to be fertile. He was old and had trouble fathering a kid. 

16 hours ago, honorable men said:

As we know from R+L=J, There's certain secrets you need to keep secret and take to your grave, even from your own trusted family in order to protect them.(I hope I got that wording right) If you ever read GRRM's other works or viewed Preston Jacobs' videos, you'll know the author is kinda into genetics and auburn hair a little too much because his first two loves in his life has auburn hair. 4 out of 5 stark kids are more Tully looking than Stark. And Jon Snow looks like Ned despite heavy inbreeding from his real father's side, go figure.

Now in this paragraph I could further details about Lysa & Jon's loveless marriage, and Jon's history of stillborns and miscarriages. All of Lysa's comments about Jon. But you already know this. No need to explain Lysa & Jon's "relationship".

I don't know how fantasy world's Moon Tea works. But I'm guessing Lysa wasn't the only one who ever used it and since she and LF were banging a lot, should could've used again and again. And probably used the correct dosage or something and learned how to handle the side effects etc. Again I don't know, its fantasy world abortion. Not Medical Science. The Red Comet could've made the Moon Tea easily. Who Knows. Or the Hooded Man could brew up a perfect cup but he was too late to give it to the miller kids' mom.

As for LF. LF lacks empathy, is a complete sociopath, doesn't care about people in general, could never bring himself to attempt to love or bond with the kid. The Name Robert Arryn suits him more than Robert Baelish or Robert Stone.

We're being smacked over with subtle hints.

I think it's possible that Sweetrobin could be LF's child, but he's not the result of a Moon Tea failure. If Lysa failed to abort, they would have just given her another dose.

Of course, there are multiple possibilities for Robert Arryn:

-- he is truly Jon Arryn's son and is just a naturally sickly child, either because of JA's age or Lysa's previous abortion;

-- he is Jon Arryn's but is being poisoned to make him sickly;

-- he is Littlefinger's and is naturally sickly;

-- he is Littlefinger's and he is being poisoned.

In all of these cases, however, Lysa needs a son who is recognized as the next Lord of the Vale, regardless of whether he is truly the son of Jon Arryn, because he is the means through which Lysa, and ultimately Littlefinger, exert power in the Vale.

It is very possible, even likely, that Robin is LF's bastard.  Based on the fact that Jon Arryn had no other children by his other 2 wives suggests that he might have been sterile.  The fact that Robin is small and sickly could be because he is takes after his father, Littlefinger who was also a small child. 

17 hours ago, honorable men said:

As we know from R+L=J, There's certain secrets you need to keep secret and take to your grave, even from your own trusted family in order to protect them.(I hope I got that wording right) If you ever read GRRM's other works or viewed Preston Jacobs' videos, you'll know the author is kinda into genetics and auburn hair a little too much because his first two loves in his life has auburn hair.

That's a weird argument. Even in the stories where the hero, a humble ecological engineer, repeatedly saves the day thanks to genetic engineering, GRRM doesn't care much about genetics, he just creates schools of laser sharks without going into any details. So I would say that he's very much not into genetics.

(And Preston Jacobs is habitually full of shit. Deliberately. Don't call Preston for expert witness.)

If Petyr Baelish actually sired little "Sweetrobin", he sure doesn't act like it. If this kid is his one true heir (as far as we know), Robert deserves protection and help. Instead, Petyr may be systematically poisoning him (a popular conspiracy theory), and doesn't seem big on providing extraordinary medical help to enable him to improve.

Of course, if Baelish were to even acknowledge, let alone legitimize little Robert, he'd instantly lose all claim to the Vale of Arryn. And, as far as we know, Lysa Tully Arryn doesn't have claim or right to any land or title by herself. Petyr married her to establish guardianship and wardenship over the Vale - er, over "Sweetrobin." Their marriage would have lasted longer if she hadn't been such a psycho.

Lysa had several miscarriages under (heh) Jon Arryn, so she was by no means barren. The miscarriages suggest the problem may have been with Jon Arryn, not Lysa. We are told of no case where frequent use of contraceptive teas leads to either sterility or sickly offspring, and there are plenty of discussions of 'hos and their (normal) babies. (Who would take moon tea more frequently? not counting Cersei)

Another reason I dispute the Littlefinger as dad theory is that there would be no way to stop Lysa from crowing about her physical relationship with him and the culmination of having his baby. She's had plenty of opportunities since fleeing King's Landing and hunkering down safe in her Eyrie, yet not a word about how Robert was Petyr's son. Not even to Petyr. On the other hand, Lysa's frequently lamented "Petyr's sweet little babe" that was murdered in the womb by good ol' Hoster. This implies it was the ONLY little Baelish.

I don't think Robin is likely to be Littflefinger's. Lysa at least doesn't seem to think he is.

"We'll send her away, then. Back to King's Landing, if you like." He took a step toward them. "Let her up, now. Let her away from the door."

"NO!" Lysa gave Sansa's head another wrench. Snow eddied around them, making their skirts snap noisily. "You can't want her. You can't. She's a stupid empty-headed little girl. She doesn't love you the way I have. I've always loved you. I've proved it, haven't I?" Tears ran down her aunt's puffy red face. "I gave you my maiden's gift. I would have given you a son too, but they murdered him with moon tea, with tansy and mint and wormwood, a spoon of honey and a drop of pennyroyal. It wasn't me, I never knew, I only drank what Father gave me . . ."

"That's past and done, Lysa. Lord Hoster's dead, and his old maester as well." Littlefinger moved closer. "Have you been at the wine again? You ought not to talk so much. We don't want Alayne to know more than she should, do we? Or Marillion?"

51 minutes ago, zandru said:

If Petyr Baelish actually sired little "Sweetrobin", he sure doesn't act like it. If this kid is his one true heir (as far as we know), Robert deserves protection and help. Instead, Petyr may be systematically poisoning him (a popular conspiracy theory), and doesn't seem big on providing extraordinary medical help to enable him to improve.

Of course, if Baelish were to even acknowledge, let alone legitimize little Robert, he'd instantly lose all claim to the Vale of Arryn. And, as far as we know, Lysa Tully Arryn doesn't have claim or right to any land or title by herself. Petyr married her to establish guardianship and wardenship over the Vale - er, over "Sweetrobin." Their marriage would have lasted longer if she hadn't been such a psycho.

Lysa had several miscarriages under (heh) Jon Arryn, so she was by no means barren. The miscarriages suggest the problem may have been with Jon Arryn, not Lysa. We are told of no case where frequent use of contraceptive teas leads to either sterility or sickly offspring, and there are plenty of discussions of 'hos and their (normal) babies. (Who would take moon tea more frequently? not counting Cersei)

Another reason I dispute the Littlefinger as dad theory is that there would be no way to stop Lysa from crowing about her physical relationship with him and the culmination of having his baby. She's had plenty of opportunities since fleeing King's Landing and hunkering down safe in her Eyrie, yet not a word about how Robert was Petyr's son. Not even to Petyr. On the other hand, Lysa's frequently lamented "Petyr's sweet little babe" that was murdered in the womb by good ol' Hoster. This implies it was the ONLY little Baelish.

Sorry, but I can easily see Littlefinger fathering a child on Lysa and then just using it as just another piece in his Game of Thrones. He is that callous.

I'm not sure how miscarriages would be Jon's fault. If they are his, then he is obviously not sterile and Lysa is obviously not barren. The problem would lie in Lysa's ability to carry a fetus to term -- again, assuming that these were normal miscarriages, not induced ones.

Lysa would also have a vested interest in keeping Sweetrobin's true father a secret. Not only would she be slut-shamed in the eyes of the court, but it would also pretty much destroy her ability to rule as Lady of the Vale considering the boy she is presenting as the Lord of the Vale is no such thing. So she would most definitely keep silent about it.

And, for @Makk too, even the talk about Petyr's murdered son is inconclusive because Littlefinger cuts her off before she says any more:

"I gave you my maiden's gift. I would have given you a son too, but they murdered him with moon tea, with tansy and mint and wormwood, a spoon of honey and a drop of pennyroyal. It wasn't me, I never knew, I only drank what Father gave me . . ."

"That's past and done, Lysa. Lord Hoster's dead, and his old maester as well." Littlefinger moved closer. "Have you been at the wine again? You ought not to talk so much. We don't want Alayne to know more than she should, do we? Or Marillion?"

The implication, of course, is that there is more to their relationship than Lysa has just revealed.

If there were even the possibility Lysa would have been all over it claiming it as fact. And I see no angle from which it could serve the story.

The mockingbird doesn't eat other bird's eggs and lay their own in other's nests as the OP proclaims. The symbolic reason LF is the mockingbird is because to kill a mockingbird is to destroy innocence. LF's primary role in the story is teaching Sansa the game of thrones, he is destroying her innocence.

Should Sansa kill LF it will be something of a graduation into the game of thrones, and she will have killed a mockingbird in more than one way.

I, too, am pretty much convinced that Sweetrobin is Littlefinger's son. He looks like Petyr, and on the day of their wedding Lysa says:

"I want you now, this very night. And I must warn you, after all these years of silence and whisperings, I mean to scream when you love me. I am going to scream so loud they'll hear me in the Eyrie!"

This implies that there was something going on in King's Landing between Lysa and LF. I don't know if Jon Arryn was sterile or not, but two marriages without issue are a big hint that he was.

That said, I'm not sure if LF , and even Lysa herself, know about Robert's parentage. It could well be that she had sex with both Petyr and her husband in the same week, or even day. Even if that didn't happen Robert could have been born premature, and that could trick even Lysa into thinking he was Jon's son.

Regarding the fact that Robert is sickly, I agree with an idea I read (most probably here in the forum) some time ago: Lysa is one of the few characters who wear make up. In medieval times, lead was used as a white pigment, so probably Lysa was indirectly poisoning her son through her milk.

1 hour ago, LadyOlenna said:

That said, I'm not sure if LF , and even Lysa herself, know about Robert's parentage. It could well be that she had sex with both Petyr and her husband in the same week, or even day. Even if that didn't happen Robert could have been born premature, and that could trick even Lysa into thinking he was Jon's son.

Good point. This explains why Lysa never told Littlefinger.

1 hour ago, LadyOlenna said:

Regarding the fact that Robert is sickly, I agree with an idea I read (most probably here in the forum) some time ago: Lysa is one of the few characters who wear make up. In medieval times, lead was used as a white pigment, so probably Lysa was indirectly poisoning her son through her milk.

This is interesting. But in this case I would expect Robin's health to improve after his mother died.

Archived