AncalagonTheBlack

Raymond E. Feist’s The Riftwar Saga

Didn't he also get into a bit of an argument with Steve Abrams over the whole thing? I might be totally making that up but I seem to remember reading it somewhere.

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Didn't he also get into a bit of an argument with Steve Abrams over the whole thing? I might be totally making that up but I seem to remember reading it somewhere.

Not that I recall. They collaborated on the (godawful) companion book a few years ago, so it must have been either since then or they patched things up.

42 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Not that I recall. They collaborated on the (godawful) companion book a few years ago, so it must have been either since then or they patched things up.

Is that the big brown one that's the Feist version of the big white World of the Wheel of Time? Hardcover? About 100 or so pages? With maps and the like? 

On 10/5/2018 at 1:07 AM, IlyaP said:

Is that the big brown one that's the Feist version of the big white World of the Wheel of Time? Hardcover? About 100 or so pages? With maps and the like? 

Yes. Midkemia: The Chronicles of Pug or something. It's awful. The art is mostly digitally-reproduced photographs and the cartography is shocking.

On 9/26/2018 at 1:02 AM, ljkeane said:

A bit of an aside but am I the only one who doesn't really care about books being made into tv series/films? I've already read the books, if I liked them they're almost always superior to the on screen version and if I didn't why would I want to watch a tv series about them?

On 9/26/2018 at 7:27 AM, williamjm said:

The Empire trilogy might make the most interesting adaptation.

The Empire trilogy is the one I'd get quite excited for an adaptation of. As others have said much of the appeal of the Riftwar has been diminished by the change in the fantasy 'meta' over the decades since then, although Magician itself is still quite enjoyable I don't think it lends itself to adaptation as The Empire series would. The latter would actually hit quite a similar note to the good aspects of the GoT show in terms of being a more adult story, while Kelewan is a much more alien setting and seeing the Cho Ja (its been years, is it 2 words or 1?) realised would be fantastic. The night before the 'election' in the middle book in particular could be a really tense episode of television. I've talked myself into this, I really want an adaptation of that now.

On 9/27/2018 at 4:24 AM, Werthead said:

Yup. Magician is good (overcoming the relative lack of writing polish with a huge amount of infectious enthusiasm), The Empire Trilogy is excellent (although the best thing Feist has written or co-written, it's not the best thing Wurts has written; The Master of Whitestorm, at least, is stronger) and the stand-alone novel Honoured Enemy is great, although that was actually written by William Forstchen with Feist getting a story credit.

Bolded - yeah that's a great self contained shorter story, and another example of being ahead of the industry trends. I really enjoyed her Wars of Light and Shadow books when I was younger, but they're another one that got dragged out longer than they should have and I stopped reading. There's another trilogy I'm blanking on the name of that's much shorter that was also pretty enjoyable - I looked it up and apparently it was her first work and all she'd done prior to The Empire trilogy, The Cycle of Fire.

To OPs original question - agreed with the others, Magician and The Empire trilogy are absolutely worth reading, the rest of the trilogy and the 2 follow up books are also worthwhile if you really enjoyed Magician.

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

... it was her first work and all she'd done prior to The Empire trilogy, The Cycle of Fire.

After reading the Empire Trilogy, I went looking for and read the Cycle of Fire books by Janny Wurts.  My impressions of that set of books was much less positive, so much so that it was hard for my callow, youthful self to believe that this was one of the same authors of the Empire Trilogy.  They had nice cover art, though.

Just now, Wilbur said:

After reading the Empire Trilogy, I went looking for and read the Cycle of Fire books by Janny Wurts.  My impressions of that set of books was much less positive, so much so that it was hard for my callow, youthful self to believe that this was one of the same authors of the Empire Trilogy.  They had nice cover art, though.

I was pretty easy to please as a kid lol, the nostalgia glasses may be making that seem better in hindsight.

16 hours ago, karaddin said:

The Empire trilogy is the one I'd get quite excited for an adaptation of. As others have said much of the appeal of the Riftwar has been diminished by the change in the fantasy 'meta' over the decades since then, although Magician itself is still quite enjoyable I don't think it lends itself to adaptation as The Empire series would. The latter would actually hit quite a similar note to the good aspects of the GoT show in terms of being a more adult story, while Kelewan is a much more alien setting and seeing the Cho Ja (its been years, is it 2 words or 1?) realised would be fantastic. The night before the 'election' in the middle book in particular could be a really tense episode of television. I've talked myself into this, I really want an adaptation of that now.

The run-up to the election is perhaps the closest it gets to ASOIAF, it was one of the highlights of the series. The earlier scene in the arena (which we see from Pug's perspective in Magician) could be spectacular as well.

I think the Cho-ja were hyphenated and they could be another interesting aspect, something that would distinguish it from GoT.

I might have to give the Empire Trilogy a reread, it’s been a while. I’m not sure my copy of Servant of the Empire is in a readable condition anymore though.

Edited by ljkeane

7 hours ago, williamjm said:

The run-up to the election is perhaps the closest it gets to ASOIAF, it was one of the highlights of the series. The earlier scene in the arena (which we see from Pug's perspective in Magician) could be spectacular as well.

I think the Cho-ja were hyphenated and they could be another interesting aspect, something that would distinguish it from GoT.

The arena is absolutely a stand out, getting the see it from the perspective of onlookers completely reframed that encounter and left me far more in awe of Pug than anything from his own perspective