US Politics: Crossing that Ford

Fragile Bird

Just saw a hilarious part of a press conference, where Trump says everything the Democrats are doing against Kavanaugh is a con game, a big con game. And then he goes on to say, 'they really play the con game well, even better than Republicans'. 

Holy WTF! With friends like that, why do the Republicans need enemies? The President of the United States just said the Republicans play a con game?  :lol:

Excellent thread title choice.

Again, as iterated here several times, the 1980's began this kind of culture.  Such events among the students in schools all over the country that cater to the progeny were commonly in the news. The perpetrators and victims (the victims who were worthy of news coverage) were usually legacy progeny.  They were groomed for the Ivys, such as Yale, where went more of these women assaulted by these male white elite over-privileged ilks

The posh and wealthy elite were not infrequently in the newspapers and magazines such as Vanity Fair fairly regularly for behaving very badly.  A woman describes in Slate what it was like for the girls of one these prep for the Ivys schools having to deal with the boys of these prep for the Ivys schools in the 80's:

https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/09/kavanaugh-judge-prep-school-parties.html

There have been many other stories like this in the media -- all describing these behaviors.

We are suffering nearly FORTY years of this ever escalating behavior, to which everyone turned a blind eye, and which has been increasingly covered up and ignored.

Right down to sometimes pretending murder didn't happen, when it did.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2000/10/dominick-dunne-martha-moxley-murder-greenwich

3 hours ago, Frog Eater said:

If he really had sex with anyone before "several years after high school" they will be coming forward today or tomorrow, and being proven a liar will torpedo his candidacy. 

Buckle up.

Perhaps Brett Kavanaugh was a virgin for many years after high school. But he claimed otherwise in a conversation with me during our freshman year in Lawrance Hall at Yale, in the living room of my suite.

— Steve Kantrowitz (@skantrow) September 25, 2018

I know when it happened, I was being a bit glib about the right’s idea that time is a solvent for sex crimes.

I would like to think his health could decline in 3 years, but they clearlly play up his poor health, so he may sadly serve the minimum and get out.

I am really quite astonished that Kavanaugh is sticking it out.

I thought Sunday night, he'd be withdrawing because it is not possible for Trump to lose face and to withdraw, him being Trump, and the best outcome for the GOP is him withdrawing now so they can seat the next SC justice ASAP.

so him sticking it out, it is just about a demonstration of power, not optimal party outcome. 

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Excellent thread title choice.

Again, as iterated here several times, the 1980's began this kind of culture.  Such events among the students in schools all over the country that cater to the progeny were commonly in the news. The perpetrators and victims (the victims who were worthy of news coverage) were usually legacy progeny.  They were groomed for the Ivys, such as Yale, where went more of these women assaulted by these male white elite over-privileged ilks

The posh and wealthy elite were not infrequently in the newspapers and magazines such as Vanity Fair fairly regularly for behaving very badly.  A woman describes in Slate what it was like for the girls of one these prep for the Ivys schools having to deal with the boys of these prep for the Ivys schools in the 80's:

https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/09/kavanaugh-judge-prep-school-parties.html

There have been many other stories like this in the media -- all describing these behaviors.

We are suffering nearly FORTY years of this ever escalating behavior, to which everyone turned a blind eye, and which has been increasingly covered up and ignored.

Right down to sometimes pretending murder didn't happen, when it did.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2000/10/dominick-dunne-martha-moxley-murder-greenwich

I would think this behavior and suffering was rampant far further back than only 40 years, maybe as far back as Yale, Harvard, Princeton existed. It probably wasn't even thought of as behavior that needed to be covered up until the 20th century. The 80's maybe was the point it that the boys network cover up began to show cracks in it cracking more bit by bit  up until today when it's been partially exposed but still intact as much as obviously seen by the goings on with Kavanaugh among others today.

1 minute ago, lokisnow said:

I am really quite astonished that Kavanaugh is sticking it out.

I thought Sunday night, he'd be withdrawing because it is not possible for Trump to lose face and to withdraw, him being Trump, and the best outcome for the GOP is him withdrawing now so they can seat the next SC justice ASAP.

so him sticking it out, it is just about a demonstration of power, not optimal party outcome. 

They'll hold the hearings on Thursday, and McConnell will call for a vote afterwards

I don't think its a linear narrative. For a while over this weekend, it did seem like he'd withdraw. And then the Newyorker article came out, and perversely, it contributed to the GOP narrative that this is all a slime job.

I'm still not sure he gets confirmed, though. Murkowski and Collins are both being pretty upfront about needing to hear the victims. And there's the Avenatti stuff to come. If that proves to be more than mere bombast, then it can be pretty consequential. 

4 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

I don't think its a linear narrative. For a while over this weekend, it did seem like he'd withdraw. And then the Newyorker article came out, and perversely, it contributed to the GOP narrative that this is all a slime job.

I'm still not sure he gets confirmed, though. Murkowski and Collins are both being pretty upfront about needing to hear the victims. And there's the Avenatti stuff to come. If that proves to be more than mere bombast, then it can be pretty consequential. 

Collins speaks out of both sides of her mouth, it looks like she believes they should have a hearing as due process, but she still obviously really wants to vote for him. She still defends every other shitty thing which should make her a “no”, like the perjury, or his views on abortion- she is in using the flimsiest cover there, his mealy mouthed speil about precedent in the hearing which is contradicted by his long history of comments about precedent elsewhere. 

6 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

Rumor mill is saying that the Avenatti stuff isnt coming. That he got trolled on the phone and went all in. He's locked his twitter account. 

yeah it really doesn't matter, Murkowski is no, Collins is a yes, Kyl is a yes. and it's pretty probable that brain dead democrat senators from Indiana or North Dakota think that the best way to motivate their base is to stab the base in the back and vote yes too.

So, should voters in Indiana and North Dakota withhold their votes if their senators betray them and betray the country by voting yes? Their senate seats are obviously valubable, but it is also risky to give a known traitor a knife and have them stand behind you, probably better to have an armed enemy in front of you.

I know I personally would refuse to vote for a worthless scumbag that voted yes to Kavanaugh, regardless of party. I'd rather have my armed enemy in front of me, than an armed traitor behind me.

Archived