US Politics: Crossing that Ford

Fragile Bird

22 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

This might set a new personal record for you being over the top.  

Loki and Bonnot do create one hell of an over the top feedback loop.

I agree with you two on much, maybe most of what you say, but it doesn’t stop me from cringing fairly often when I read your posts.

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Trump supporters now have another catch-phrase to use! But his calendar!

What?!!  You mean to tell me there's a "Ben Ghazi and the Buttery Males" calendar* now?!  How did I not know about this and where do I get one?!!:P

*I'd like to say the whole "Kavanaugh's calendar" thing is completely absurd...but it's really par for the course in this incredibly absurd travesty.

16 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Loki and Bonnot do create one hell of an over the top feedback loop.

I agree with you two on much, maybe most of what you say, but it doesn’t stop me from cringing fairly often when I read your posts.

Problem is, a conservative poster made a valid point last week. There can be a double standard here at times, and I can understand how frustrating that would make one feel. Another problem is most of the moderate conservatives are gone, either because they’ve moved to the middle/left as their party moves right or because they can’t defend what’s happening anymore in good faith. I’m a firm believer that it’s better to have a broader spectrum of debate rather than have just a liberal feedback loop. I wish there were more moderate Republicans here that resembled the Rick Wilsons and Steve Schmidts of the world.   

This is something I’ve feared for a while:   

United Nations (CNN)President Donald Trump claimed on Wednesday that China is working to interfere in November's midterm elections with the aim of damaging him politically.

"Regrettably, we found that China has been attempting to interfere in our upcoming 2018 election coming up in November against my administration," Trump said during remarks at the UN Security Council.

The President offered scant details or evidence, which came during a session meant to focus on issues of nonproliferation. He suggested the meddling attempts came as retribution for the budding trade war he has waged with Beijing.

"They do not want me or us to win because I am the first president ever to challenge China on trade," Trump said. "We are winning on trade. We are winning at every level. We don't want them to meddle or interfere in our upcoming election."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/26/politics/china-midterms-donald-trump/index.html

I’ve theorized for a while now that Trump might try and make a claim like this if Republicans get mollywhopped in the midterms. He’s the only elected official I’ve ever feared might call for an invalidation of an election cycle.

2 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Problem is, a conservative poster made a valid point last week.

HOLY SHIT REALLY?

2 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

I wish there were more moderate Republicans here that resembled the Rick Wilsons and Steve Schmidts of the world.   

Well, to be fair we've lost a lot of, well, everyone in this thread and in misc in general. I miss more centrists, I miss Jeff to a certain extent, I miss others - but ultimately it's just been reduced, moving off to horrible facebook algorithms and being buried in parental duties. 

Just saw Brett Kavanaugh’s lawyer on MSNBC, she comes across like a real dirtbag. When asked why Her client is not demanding an investigation to clear his name - “He knows he did’t do it”. That is wonderful for him, but some of us need more than the word of a know liar and perjurer.

31 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Problem is, a conservative poster made a valid point last week. There can be a double standard here at times, and I can understand how frustrating that would make one feel. Another problem is most of the moderate conservatives are gone, either because they’ve moved to the middle/left as their party moves right or because they can’t defend what’s happening anymore in good faith. I’m a firm believer that it’s better to have a broader spectrum of debate rather than have just a liberal feedback loop. I wish there were more moderate Republicans here that resembled the Rick Wilsons and Steve Schmidts of the world.   

Rick Wilson is a piece of shit lol. So is Schmidt. They just seem decent now given how shit repbulicans have become, but they are still trash. 

35 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

It is indeed sad that there are fewer conservatives that make one feel good about oneself whilst participating in the furthering of oppression.

Regarding background check investigations -- I will bet millions of dollars (that I don't have!) that the rethugs have dug and dug and dug, down to China, into the life, background and past of Dr. Blasey.  IOWs, they did about her what they sure as shinola did not do with Kavanaugh.

14 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Regarding background check investigations -- I will bet millions of dollars (that I don't have!) that the rethugs have dug and dug and dug, down to China, into the life, background and past of Dr. Blasey.  IOWs, they did about her what they sure as shinola did not do with Kavanaugh.

FBI background checks really are a joke. A former friend of mine had one done when he was getting a high level security clearance. All that happened was I recieved a phone call, was asked a few questions, and that was it. 

Just now, Paladin of Ice said:

Schumer is calling on Kavanaugh to withdraw from the nomination.

yeah, well, since dems want it that'll mean Republicans will just nominate bill cosby to stick it to the libs

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/26/michael-avenatti-identifies-kavanaugh-accuser-as-julie-swetnick.html

New Kavanaugh accuser Julie Swetnick details parties where girls allegedly were drugged and raped

• Julie Swetnick, a third accuser of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh publicly identified herself Wednesday.
  • Swetnick alleged that Kavanaugh and others in the early 1980s spiked the drinks of girls at high school parties with intoxicants to make it easier for them to be gang raped.
  • Kavanaugh called Swetnick's claims "ridiculous and from the Twilight Zone."

20 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Schumer is calling on Kavanaugh to withdraw from the nomination.

Schumer is fucking useless. He is so old and out of touch. He needs to be replaced. 

He is completely unequiped to fight republicans. 

He still thinks you can go by the book and that these fucking scumbags are gonna just do the right thing. 

39 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

FBI background checks really are a joke. A former friend of mine had one done when he was getting a high level security clearance. All that happened was I recieved a phone call, was asked a few questions, and that was it. 

A lot of it depends on the scope of the investigation, is it a first time clearance or an update. 

At the initial/first time investigation, birth records are checked, but juvenile records and associates are rarely addressed unless someone brings up something from that time. They generally try to get 2-3 people from each location the subject has lived/worked/gone to school since the age of 18*.  If derogatory information is uncovered, the scope can be expanded.

Every 5 years when the updates are done, they generally focus primarily on the time from the investigation to the present.

You can see how easy it would be to miss finding a person with the information (or willingness to divulge it) might be.

*there are "have you ever"/ has he/she ever" questions, but few supply information prior to age 18

2 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

This is something I’ve feared for a while:   

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/26/politics/china-midterms-donald-trump/index.html

I’ve theorized for a while now that Trump might try and make a claim like this if Republicans get mollywhopped in the midterms. He’s the only elected official I’ve ever feared might call for an invalidation of an election cycle.

There is no legal way to invalidate an election once it takes place and it is finalized.  He will have to go extra-Constitutional if he wants to make such an attempt.  I don’t believe that would go well for Trump.

Archived