US Politics: Crossing that Ford

Fragile Bird

1 hour ago, lokisnow said:

Swetnick account is shockingly similar to a memoir posted by slate two days ago regarding the same party scene, inclusive of the slang used for gang rape

https://amp.slate.com/human-interest/2018/09/kavanaugh-judge-prep-school-parties.html

TL;DR rich white kids didn’t think gang rape was rape, had never heard of consent.

I keep tellin' ya all, that's how this stuff in this class has rolled since Reagan.

57 minutes ago, Ser Reptitious said:

Fair enough, and I competely agree. I guess I was just a bit confused because Lokisnow specifically referred to Monica Lewinski.

To this day Monica Lewinski does say it was consensual. However, in light of #MeToo, has she re-evaluated the situation. But she still does not say there was any coercion. And she wasn't coerced, drunk, drugged or underage.

Anyway, whatever happened with Bill and Monica, didn't affect the rights of women to reproductive health care.  Kavanaugh's appointment does.  Anyway, whatever happened with Bill and Monica, didn't affect the rights of legal immigrants and immigrants seeking asylum.  Anyway, whatever happened with Bill and Monica didn't affect NAFTA or the Telecommunications Acts etc. -- all of which we could go after Bill about. But not this bs. Keep your sense of what these actions actually were, folks.

Everything in Kavanaugh's past actions, including constant lying under oath, does affect the future of just about everything.

49 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Thank goodness that we're responding to criticisms of current SCOTUS justices by relitigating 20 year old political issues. That'll show 'em

The Clintons still have a fair amount of influence within the Democratic Party, though.  There is no great outcry for Keith Ellison to resign, either, as far as I can tell.  

It is the point that I inadequately tried to raise in the previous thread.  Aceluby is right, IMO, the Democratic Party should turn their collective back on the Clinton’s and close that chapter.  Perhaps, though, they do not feel it is politically expedient to do so.  They seem to have learned their lesson from Franken, it is better to overlook transgressions from our side to ensure victory.  And truly, that happens on both sides, and both sides talk their way around it and call the other hypocrites.  And I guess that’s okay, but you can not call it a principle, it’s a weapon to use against your adversaries.  

2 minutes ago, King Ned Stark said:

The Clintons still have a fair amount of influence within the Democratic Party, though.  There is no great outcry for Keith Ellison to resign, either, as far as I can tell.  

Funny you should mention that. Mazie Hirono said that he should be (gasp) investigated, just like Kavanaugh. The party is also holding their own investigation into Ellison. So...basically, democrats have done precisely what they've said they want to do to Kavanaugh. 

it is better to overlook transgressions from our side to ensure victory.

Overlook what, precisely? Again, investigation and calls for further investigation. 

And truly, that happens on both sides, and both sides talk their way around it and call the other hypocrites.  And I guess that’s okay, but you can not call it a principle, it’s a weapon to use against your adversaries.  

In this case - when Franken admitted to wrongdoing and stepped down - it can be both a principle and a way to stand up later and use the principle as a weapon. 

58 minutes ago, Ormond said:

As if what's posted in the "US Politics" thread on the Miscellaneous forum of a site dedicated to "Game of Thrones" and ASOIAF was really showing much of anybody much of anything. :)

That sure showed me

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Too overt and I strongly suspect much of the US Military would refuse such an order.

Probably not, at least in the long run, but this is how it would go down.

1 hour ago, Ser Reptitious said:

Wouldn't the perfect response from the Democrats (and others) be that in that case we better make sure that each and every voting machine is completely safe from hacking and that every voting station needs to have lots of bipartisan public oversight?

In normal times? Sure, but we're not in normal times.

I've posted this before, but it feels apt for the moment. There's an old Chinese cure: "May you live in interesting times." 

9 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

It seems like Trump is side-eye alleging a Chinese plot to interfere in the midterms because of their targeted tariffs? 

Not side-eye, full stop. And notice how he specially said they are trying to help the Democrats. This is why I posted earlier about the possibility of Trump nullifying the election results if Republicans get stomped. 

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Too overt and I strongly suspect much of the US Military would refuse such an order.

Throughout all of human history the trend of the military is to almost always comply with election negating orders.  Generally, In these cases, the military is rather enthusiastic to comply.

not sure what mythical basis you have to make you think the armed forces would disobey An order like that, particularly as such an order would be one of their wildest dreams come true, like winning the lottery.

47 minutes ago, Zorral said:

To this day Monica Lewinski does say it was consensual. However, in light of #MeToo, has she re-evaluated the situation. But she still does not say there was any coercion. And she wasn't coerced, drunk, drugged or underage.

Anyway, whatever happened with Bill and Monica, didn't affect the rights of women to reproductive health care.  Kavanaugh's appointment does.  Anyway, whatever happened with Bill and Monica, didn't affect the rights of legal immigrants and immigrants seeking asylum.  Anyway, whatever happened with Bill and Monica didn't affect NAFTA or the Telecommunications Acts etc. -- all of which we could go after Bill about. But not this bs. Keep your sense of what these actions actually were, folks.

Everything in Kavanaugh's past actions, including constant lying under oath, does affect the future of just about everything.

Don't forget btw, that Kavanaugh berated her and asked her how many times she let Clinton cum in her mouth. That is the kind of sick depraved piece of shit these sick depraved pieces of shit want on the supreme court.

2 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Throughout all of human history the trend of the military is to almost always comply with election negating orders.  Generally, I. These cases, the military is rather enthusiastic to comply.

not sure what mythical basis you have to make you think the armed forces would disobey An order like that, particularly as such an order would be one of their wildest dreams come true, like winning the lottery.

Yea, these people must be ignorant of Blair Mountain and how the US army fired on civilians.

Archived