US Politics: Crossing that Ford

Fragile Bird

Long, worth reading.  Remember this?  We mostly forgot in the endless tsunami of incompetence and unfittness:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/sep/27/this-guy-doesnt-know-anything-the-inside-story-of-trumps-shambolic-transition-team

So unprepared, so ignorant, so incapable were / are the orange nazi system to work in government, that a significant source for this report by Michael Lewis (author of Money Ball and The Big Short), Chris Christie, looks like the intelligent, mature adult in the room.

How can we have allowed our nation to be handed over these incompetent fools?

25 minutes ago, Suttree said:

Anecdotal fallacy? Funny how that works.

Yes, it really is funny. When a black kid mowing the lawn gets the cops called on him, that is evidence of a nation-wide epidemic of racism and oppression of minorities.  When a white man is executed based on the testimony of a woman, that is an anecdote. How could it be otherwise? This is a patriarchal, misogynist country after all, where white privilige is keeping the damned white people alive for too long.

7 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

Yes, it really is funny. When a black kid mowing the lawn gets the cops called on him, that is evidence of a nation-wide epidemic of racism and oppression of minorities.  When a white man is executed based on the testimony of a woman, that is an anecdote. How could it be otherwise? This is a patriarchal, misogynist country after all, where white privilige is keeping the damned white people alive for too long.

I mean I guess instead we could look at relative percentages in the criminal justice system instead? Hell, we can focus on death row. Now percentages of white folks executed is higher at 55.6% compared to black folks at 34.5%. However, black folks make up a significantly larger percentage of death row inmates executed when compared to the percentage of the US population, 12.6% of total US population for black folks and 62% for white folks. Now this by itself shows that non-white, specifically black, folks are over represented on death row.

citations: https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/race-death-row-inmates-executed-1976 and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_States

5 minutes ago, Lord Dracarys said:

I mean I guess instead we could look at relative percentages in the criminal justice system instead? Hell, we can focus on death row. Now percentages of white folks executed is higher at 55.6% compared to black folks at 34.5%. However, black folks make up a significantly larger percentage of death row inmates executed when compared to the percentage of the US population, 12.6% of total US population for black folks and 62% for white folks. Now this by itself shows that non-white, specifically black, folks are over represented on death row.

citations: https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/race-death-row-inmates-executed-1976 and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_States

Yes. Now the next question is, why are black people over represented on death row? Is it systemic racism? Or are there other reasons?

Edit: I have to leave, so I don't really want to get into this discussion right now, especially with the Kavanaugh thing going on, I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy.

5 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

Yes. Now the next question is, why are black people over represented on death row? Is it systemic racism? Or are there other reasons?

Edit: I have to leave, so I don't really want to get into this discussion right now, especially with the Kavanaugh thing going on, I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy.

I think the key question is why do you think that is? Because normal people would say institutional racism, poverty and over policing minority communities.

2 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

I mean systemic racism is a large part of the calculus here (there's data on convictions) and denying it is like denying that water is wet.

35 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Early predication:  Don’t be surprised if Democratic senators yield a fair bit of their time to Harris when Kavanaugh is up.

I would never expect any politician elected to the US Senate to yield any of their time that's being aired on all cable news networks.

14 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

I think the key question is why do you think that is? Because normal people would say institutional racism, poverty and over policing minority communities.

Informed people would say this. It is unfortunately completely normal in the USA to be uninformed about these issues. Neither ignorance nor racism are mental illnesses. 

1 hour ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Not term limits, but age limits.

Both, and I used to think we shouldn't have term limits, because I was worried about lobbyist becoming more powerful as a result. Now, I think that's a risk we should take because the benefits are particular and powerful and the potential risks are amorphous and vague.

a constitutional amendment establishing the following, surely congress would be willing to limit themselves for the good fo the country, right?

2 term limit in the senate

3 term limit in the house

1 term limit on the courts (14 years)

age restrictions of: 

60 for the house

65 for the senate

70 for the presidency

65 for judges (minimum age of 40 for judges)

the age restriction meaning you can't be eligible for an additional election or appointment if you are over those limits, just as you're not eligible if you're under those limits. So a judge could be appointed at 64 and serve until 78 and that'd be fine, but they couldn't be appointed at 66 and serve to 80.

and while we are at it, exempting incumbants running for reelection, a party may not nominate a person identifying as the same gender as the gender identification of the person they last ran for that seat. 

So democrats would not be allowed to nominate a woman for president in 2020, and republicans would not be allowed to nominate a man for president in 2024. And this would hold true on all senate and house seats in congress.

25 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yes, even the old white men have acknowledged they can't grandstand with righteous indignation towards a sexual assault victim.  Progress!

In all serious though, it would be smart for a male senator to yield all of his time to her or each senator who wants to to yield a minute of their time. She is the best prepared for the moment and the contrast will stand out. Republicans are afraid of men interrogating a woman. Democrats should embrace the opposite and let Harris tear him apart.

Archived