US Politics: Crossing that Ford

Fragile Bird

25 minutes ago, Suttree said:

Dude...come on. All the background that has come out shows she is competent and well respected on both sides of the aisle.

Maricopa County was not exactly a beacon of competence in sex crimes prosecution.

https://jezebel.com/forgive-me-if-i-dont-trust-the-woman-prosecutor-intervi-1829355701

In 2011, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office was the subject of a federal civil rights investigation for discriminatory police practices and, specifically in the case of sex crimes, a failure to investigate or charge incidents reported by immigrants. In the three years leading up to 2007, Arpaio’s office received 400 reports of sex crimes that were either inadequately investigated or not worked at all. “If established, this may constitute a failure to provide police services in a manner that constitutes gender and/or national origin discrimination in violation of the Equal Protection guarantee,” wrote the Department of Civil Rightsin its 22-page letter to Bill Montgomery.

Recently, supporters have said that Mitchell was partially responsible for cleaning up this particular mess, going through the cases and deciding which to prosecute. At the end of the re-investigation process, 115 of those cases were determined to be “unfounded;” 221 were cleared without arrest, and only 19 went to the court.

Mitchell and her office did not respond to a request for comment by press time. Though Maricopa County isn’t publishing its clearance rate for sexual assault cases these days, the state of Arizona at large saw a clearance rate of about 10% of sexual assault reports. The nation average is around 34%.

29 minutes ago, Suttree said:

Dude...come on. All the background that has come out shows she is competent and well respected on both sides of the aisle.

https://jezebel.com/forgive-me-if-i-dont-trust-the-woman-prosecutor-intervi-1829355701

In 2011, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office was the subject of a federal civil rights investigation for discriminatory police practices and, specifically in the case of sex crimes, a failure to investigate or charge incidents reported by immigrants. In the three years leading up to 2007, Arpaio’s office received 400 reports of sex crimes that were either inadequately investigated or not worked at all. “If established, this may constitute a failure to provide police services in a manner that constitutes gender and/or national origin discrimination in violation of the Equal Protection guarantee,” wrote the Department of Civil Rights in its 22-page letter to Bill Montgomery.

Recently, supporters have said that Mitchell was partially responsible for cleaning up this particular mess, going through the cases and deciding which to prosecute. At the end of the re-investigation process, 115 of those cases were determined to be “unfounded;” 221 were cleared without arrest, and only 19 went to the court.

Mitchell and her office did not respond to a request for comment by press time. Though Maricopa County isn’t publishing its clearance rate for sexual assault cases these days, the state of Arizona at large saw a clearance rate of about 10% of sexual assault reports. The nation average is around 34%.

Meh, 

lol @DanteGabriel :ninja:

21 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

Yea. He's enraging me to no end today. He also tried to paint himself as a victim with his getting ambushed by dems bs. He desrves to get confronted non stop now.

He was “ambushed”, almost as if they pushed him into a room and held a hand over his mouth. Poor, poor Linds.

8 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Snip

Given the assholes on the committee that appointed her, it could have been much much worse. Again, almost every thing I've read says she is well respected(and yes I understand it's frickin Maricopa county). 

10 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

He was “ambushed”, almost as if they pushed him into a room and held a hand over his mouth. Poor, poor Linds.

LOL.  It must have been tough for him to wait for the gaggle to question him immediately after they "ambushed" Cornyn.

9 minutes ago, Suttree said:

Given the assholes on the committee that appointed her, it could have been much much worse. Again, almost every thing I've read says she is well respected(and yes I understand it's frickin Maricopa county). 

I'm sure she's a competent lawyer. They wouldn't have picked someone obviously terrible.

I think of her like Natalie Portman in the Star Wars prequels: a competent actor given a shitty script and a terrible director.

Archived