US Politics: Crossing that Ford

Fragile Bird

9 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I got this off 538's blog, but I thought it was quite interesting,  from @chrishayes

Now, I think that might be too charitable to Kavanaugh, since he definitely may remember it, or may remember other incidents like it.  But it's possible, and it would certainly make this whole series of events more disorienting (and enraging) for him. 

Considering how blatantly and implausibly Kavanaugh has lied about certain subjects (see his drinking at school, which he claimed was never to excess despite his own past words and multiple classmates contradicting him and saying he was a mean and sloppy drunk, or his claims to know nothing about Bush torture and Guantanamo memos that he helped draft) I’m not inclined to believe a single word he has to say.

Maybe on this specific occasion he was too drunk to remember, but he almost certainly did this plenty of other times, and I doubt he had a blackout every time.

In short, fuck that guy.

Once again, I say - if the Republicans push through Kavanaugh, a very reasonable play is for the Democrats - whenever they can - to push for impeachment of Kavanaugh based on these things - and now, his absurdly emotional, tainted testimony in front of the world. 

I'd almost be for that at this point. 

"Beer" and "I like beer" win the words most often spoken today.

Also throws up a lot of beer.  And even flatulated beer (is that a word?).  All his friends sitting behind him know this.  Also that he's got a weak stomach.

This is -- this beyond shameful and embarrassing.  He blathers and blathers about beer but refused to say whether he's be willing there be an FBI investigation.

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

Once again, I say - if the Republicans push through Kavanaugh, a very reasonable play is for the Democrats - whenever they can - to push for impeachment of Kavanaugh based on these things - and now, his absurdly emotional, tainted testimony in front of the world. 

I'd almost be for that at this point. 

They can make the play, but I’m pretty sure judges still need a 2/3 majority of the Senate for impeachment. Republicans will never vote to impeach one of their own, and Democrats are pretty damn unlikely to get those numbers.

So... yeah.

1 minute ago, Paladin of Ice said:

They can make the play, but I’m pretty sure judges still need a 2/3 majority of the Senate for impeachment. Republicans will never vote to impeach one of their own, and Democrats are pretty damn unlikely to get those numbers.

So... yeah.

Depends a lot on what a FBI investigation shows, or if more information comes out. There's a big difference between he said, she said and demonstrating that someone lied under oath while trying to get the job they have. 

11 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

So... yeah.

Constitutionally it's not clear the 2/3 majority is required for anyone but the president.  Article I Section 3:

The Senate shall have the sole power to try all impeachments. When sitting for that purpose, they shall be on oath or affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no person shall be convicted without the concurrence of two thirds of the members present.

Judgment in cases of impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust or profit under the United States: but the party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to indictment, trial, judgment and punishment, according to law.

The Senate is capable of changing the traditional impeachment proceedings without an amendment.  Would I want them to?  No.  Well, maybe put it at 60 instead of 67.  Thought it was useful to point out though.

12 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Depends a lot on what a FBI investigation shows, or if more information comes out. There's a big difference between he said, she said and demonstrating that someone lied under oath while trying to get the job they have. 

I highly doubt anything in the world could get Republican Senators to impeach a Conservative Supreme Court Justice, with the possible exceptions of murder and serial child sexual abuse. Otherwise they’ll make excuses to the mainstream while defending it to their base.

*hearing comments interruption*

The SEC is suing Elon Musk personally and asking he be banned from holding any position with a public company, on account of fraud. Musk earlier this year sent out a tweet (he has 22M followers) claiming funding had been secured to take Tesla private at $420 per share. Because that's the marijuana number, and would amuse his girlfriend.

Musk is a big Trump supporter. Wait and see how quickly Trump attacks the SEC.

*hearing comments continue*

Archived