US Politics: Crossing that Ford

Fragile Bird

1 minute ago, lokisnow said:

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the shouty-loud-tearful-denials approach like a telltale sign of guilt?

[swipes Privilege Card]

DENIED.

I got this off 538's blog, but I thought it was quite interesting,  from @chrishayes

The possibility hangs over all of this, one I return to over and over, that Blasey Ford’s account is absolutely true and that Kavanaugh has absolutely no memory of it and thinks he has been falsely accused.

Now, I think that might be too charitable to Kavanaugh, since he definitely may remember it, or may remember other incidents like it.  But it's possible, and it would certainly make this whole series of events more disorienting (and enraging) for him. 

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Now, I think that might be too charitable to Kavanaugh, since he definitely may remember it, or may remember other incidents like it.  But it's possible, and it would certainly make this whole series of events more disorienting (and enraging) for him. 

It is entirely possible he doesn't remember.  That doesn't matter.  As an alcoholic and someone that has blacked out hundreds of times, it's almost a worse excuse.  If I think my behavior hurt others after I blackout I immediately try to make amends.  And deeply regret my behavior.  Hell, I've apologized to people on this board after acting like an asshole. 

Except, he hasn't demonstrated any of such compunction.  He hasn't acknowledged the Senate should await nor investigate themselves any type of substantial investigation.  Based simply upon his and the GOP's response, there is no credible reason to believe his denial.

The rethugs also are too nervous to question BK themselves, which seems weird.  Ya, got the optics thing about them going at Dr. Blasey, but the optics shouldn't be hurting them for BK direct questions instead of having the hired gun ask from a list of questions they wrote up.

And boy is BK outraged by the Dem members' questions!

Weeping and snuffing, yelling and scolding, this isn't an example of the sort of personal self-control to be a lawyer, much less a judge.

O -- Mark Judge's book is a novel!

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

Ya, got the optics thing about them going at Dr. Blasey, but the optics shouldn't be hurting them for BK direct questions instead of having the hired gun ask from a list of questions they wrote up.

Agreed, I think it's weird they're not questioning Kavanaugh themselves.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

It is entirely possible he doesn't remember.  That doesn't matter. 

It doesn't matter in terms of his guilt or fitness for office.  But it (may) provide some insight into why he is reacting the way that he is to this scandal.  Which is why I found it interesting.

50 minutes ago, DMC said:

Why is it always beer?  Is it not socially acceptable to admit you got fucked up on liquor yet?

This, and how about underage drinking too. Every time he pivots to “it was legal to buy beer when you were 18.” Bro, Ford said you were 17.

Just now, Maithanet said:

It doesn't matter in terms of his guilt or fitness for office.  But it (may) provide some insight into why he is reacting the way that he is to this scandal.  Which is why I found it interesting.

This seems to imply you're saying his lack of memory of the specific event means he doesn't remember behaving in such a way.  If so, I strongly disagree.  He would have been told by his dude-bros the next morning.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Agreed, I think it's weird they're not questioning Kavanaugh themselves.

And he refuses to answer direct questions such as "Are you willing to have Mark Judge testify here?"  He just word salads about football and church and blahblahblah.  He pretends the year book was highjacked.

He's reminded he's under oath and has to answer.

And gddmed Grassley, now he comes in as sword and shield between the Dem questions and BK.  

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

And he refuses to answer direct questions such as "Are you willing to have Mark Judge testify here?"  He just word salads about football and church and blahblahblah.  He pretends the year book was highjacked.

He's reminded he's under oath and has to answer.

And gddmed Grassley, now he comes in as sword and shield between the Dem questions and BK.  

This is the most annoying shit. He's filibustering and has answered zero questions.

Interview techniques 101: (from my intelligence training)

When you want to know information, ask open ended questions that require thought to answer. Avoid yes/no questions. 

Unless of course you don't want to risk someone saying the wrong thing:

Mitchell: "Dr. Ford described an incident when she was alone in a room with you and Mark Judge. Have you ever been alone in a room with Dr. Ford and Mark Judge?"
Kavanaugh: "No."
Mitchell: "Dr. Ford described an incident when you were grinding your genitals on her. Have you ever ground or rubbed your genitals against Dr. Ford?"
Mitchell: "Dr. Ford describes an incident when you covered her mouth with your hand. Have you ever covered Dr. Ford's mouth with your hand?"
Mitchell: "Dr. Ford described an incident where you tried to remove her clothes. Have you ever tried to remove her clothes?"
Kavnaugh: "No."
Mitchell: "Referring back to the definition of sexual behavior that I have given you, have you ever at any time engaged in sexual behavior with Dr. Ford?"
Mitchell: "Have you ever engaged in sexual behavior with Dr. Ford even if it was consensual?"

eta:  I can't see it live, just the CNN updates

Archived