US Politics: Crossing that Ford

Fragile Bird

5 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Are you talking about the dude that drowned that woman then stuffed her in a a barrel? Guess that guy was about as innocent as our current President.

He was convicted in part due to the testimony of his then-girlfriend Tory Bush, who admitted to the crime then fingered Clark - even though there was no physical evidence connecting him to the murder.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Tyler-man-slated-to-be-1st-of-two-Texas-death-row-13256654.php

8 hours ago, lokisnow said:

Elected Democrats have never cared about Kavanaugh and they will not impeach him because he is their bro. 99.99% of elected Democrats are of the same caste as Kavanaugh. 

17 of the 49 Dem Senators (counting King and Sanders) are women - that's about 34 percent.  The House Dem Caucus is around 32% women (62 out of 193).  So, I think that 99.99% statement needs to be edited.

29 minutes ago, Triskjavikson said:

That's the thing:  I keep seeing "need to get Kavanaugh or risk losing the base" talk without factoring what it might be like in terms of losses and extra motivation for the other side.  Seems like it's much less clear what the least bad move is for the GOP of electoral success in November is their only goal.  

Evangelicals. They only care about getting the scotus. They don't care about losing spots because who cares about Congress? It can't do anything, anyway. 

Scotus is where power can be utilized for the next 25 years and they know it. 

22 minutes ago, Triskjavikson said:

That's the thing:  I keep seeing "need to get Kavanaugh or risk losing the base" talk without factoring what it might be like in terms of losses and extra motivation for the other side.  Seems like it's much less clear what the least bad move is for the GOP of electoral success in November is their only goal.  

Yeah, one theory I read is that the goal of shutting down #MeToo and silencing women is more important than any electoral goals. Not sure I buy this, but it does seem at least plausible.

I'm somewhat puzzled by the GOP's behavior. This should be an easy task, appoint a conservative SC justice while you hold absolute political power in the land. The Republicans lightning themselves on fire right before the midterms should not have entered the picture. If you get a dud like that you, you pull him, rather than announce to the world that the GOP is now the party of rapists, especially when you have the orange groper in there.

My guess is Trump is driving this train. He kind of pointed to this in his press conference. As he put it, he has been "falsely accused." All accusations of sexual assault look false to Trump apparently, unless they involve male Democrats.

Another possibility, Trump believes he needs Kavanagh and his expanssive view of executive power in there.

31 minutes ago, Triskjavikson said:

His public support is bleeding.  That will likely continue, which is why I wonder whether McConnell really wants to schedule a floor vote any time soon.

21 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Yeah, one theory I read is that the goal of shutting down #MeToo and silencing women is more important than any electoral goals. Not sure I buy this, but it does seem at least plausible.

I don't buy that even the GOP is loony enough to think this will shut down #MeToo. Supercharge it, more like. 

About McConnell: Nate Silver is of the opinion he's speeding through this to get to the point where Murkowski and Collins kill the nom, and he can move on to the next candidate, while claiming he did everything he could. I can kind of see that. The only issue is, Trump is a major wildcard here. Now that he's married his bran to Kavanaugh's, I don't see him easily severing it.

The Russian blackmail material is probably better for rapist Brett. Any other candidate would have to get some kompromat manufactured in useful time to derail the sinking of Trump  cause the position is lifetime or retirement and i bet every single 'intellectual' traitor is getting all self-righteous about being 'forced' to betray and expose their amorality to keep their despicable party relevant.

Which naturally means the Fanta fuhrer will double down on fascism to protect his (questionable) liberty when and if this part of the 'plan' doesn't work - declaration of martial law before or during elections is probably inevitable as well as false flags.

16 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

About McConnell: Nate Silver is of the opinion he's speeding through this to get to the point where Murkowski and Collins kill the nom, and he can move on to the next candidate, while claiming he did everything he could. I can kind of see that.

The problem with any Nate Silver political analysis is he assumes politicians would act rationally, or like he would.  That's rarely the case.

Archived