Why LF and Tyrells didn't include Varys to poisoning Joffrey?

Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn

He likely didn't. It would be foolish of them to hold these conversations in the Red Keep, after all, because that's where Varys has all the secret passages to hide his little birds. Any conversations would most likely take place in the wheelhouse as it carted Lady O here and there around the city.

I don't think Varys knew about the murder attempt. If he had known, he would have tried to prevent it.

Varys's goal is that when the Targaryen invasion begins, the seven kingdoms are disunited and with a king that's widely hated. Joffrey was perfect for that.

If Varys had revealed the plot, that would have meant the execution of Littlefinger and all the Tyrells at court. That would have left the Lannisters with no supports (they'll lose the Reach and the Vale) and more people that'd be eager to join any claimant that came from across the Narrow Sea.

You have to ask yourself, what exactly does Varys have to gain from Joffrey's untimely demise that would make him privy to such a dangerous conspiracy? Did Littlefinger or Olenna think Varys wanted his king dead and can be trusted with this secret? Not to mention what use was there in telling him, because did they even need Varys to pull off the assassination? No they didn't, so there was absolutely no reason Varys needed to know this and for all they knew he might have ratted on them.

19 hours ago, Giant Ice Spider said:

To be honest, a scheme involving LF, Dontos, Oswell Kettleblack, Lothor Brune, and the Tyrells already seems quite large - too large, even.

I think Littlefinger didn't need Sansa and Tyrells for poisoning Joffrey at all. He could do it on his own without leaving loosy ends.   His real goal was not to kill Joffrey, but to involve Tyrells and Sansa in assassination and thus get perfect  leverage over them. It is why assassination plot was so complex and included unnecessary conspirators. Joffrey's death  probably  even wasn't LF's purpose, only a mean to achieve his purpose.

Because Littlefinger and Varys are rivals. If Varys was brought into the plot he would have used it for his own ends, which don't necessarily align with Littlefinger's. They clearly didn't need Littlefinger to pull it off, so why risk bringing him in?

Depends if you think joffrey was the target or if the Tyrell’s were even involved. Why would the queen of thorns even need little finger if she was going to try and pull it off. It makes far more sense for Tyrion to be assassinated by Baelish so that Sansa could be widowed. Joffreys a loose cannon perfect for whatever chaotic game little finger is playing and I would not put it past Baelish for him to know Tywins days were numbered, though this is also debatable wether he knew if Tywin was going to die or not. And let us be frank, no one would weep for Tyrion’s death - Joffrey probably would have laughed and everyone would cautiously join in to appease/obey the king indirectly. 

9 hours ago, Ser Maverick said:

The entire thing was almost assuredly his plan, and I imagine Olenna was the only Tyrell involved.

Maybe, I don't know but certainly Olenna was not the only Tyrell involved. Remember, you have to make certain that Margaery doesn't drink of the chalice after some signal. Also, the potential political fallout is so big that there is no way that Mace didn't know. Olenna is not that irresponsible.

Archived