Cast-o-phobia: We have a winner!!

honeyed chicken

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

I was certainly thinking of yara - that is what the round description stated, that is the show character and my understanding is that we are recasting show characters, not casting book characters. @honeyed chicken Can you please help with this question? 

Well, in that case, I've been doing this game all wrong. A game where we try to cast the book characters accurately would be interesting. Finding "more of the same" for the show characters sounds pretty boring to me.

My pick for Asha was for someone of her description and her book personality. If thought it had to be someone who could pull sexy and charismatic and roguish, not the rather boring Yara.

But if we're doing SHOW characters, can I then have an explanation - which Daario Naharis are we supposed to be recasting? Because he changed his personality completely between season 3 and season 4. My picks that I sent to @honeyed chicken were for book Daario. Daario no 2 mostly didn't even have a personality and could be played by any good-looking guy. Book Daario, on the other hand (who is more similar to season 3 Daario, but more extreme) - it's pretty interesting to look for an actor who could actually pull that off.

5 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

I think we are casting Asha, not Yara. 
I was certainly thinking of Asha, nor Yara, with my pick, and my votes.

5 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I was certainly thinking of yara - that is what the round description stated, that is the show character and my understanding is that we are recasting show characters, not casting book characters. @honeyed chicken Can you please help with this question? 

We are recasting Yara Greyjoy played by Gemma Whelan in the HBO show, Game of Thrones.

On 10/6/2018 at 12:39 PM, RhaenysBee said:

and I think the safest strategy is that you keep picking the characters.  

Sorry, I did not read this comment until just now. 

I do have a rough idea which characters I will be picking in order to keep this fun.

3 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Well, in that case, I've been doing this game all wrong. A game where we try to cast the book characters accurately would be interesting. Finding "more of the same" for the show characters sounds pretty boring to me.

My pick for Asha was for someone of her description and her book personality. If thought it had to be someone who could pull sexy and charismatic and roguish, not the rather boring Yara.

But if we're doing SHOW characters, can I then have an explanation - which Daario Naharis are we supposed to be recasting? Because he changed his personality completely between season 3 and season 4. My picks that I sent to @honeyed chicken were for book Daario. Daario no 2 mostly didn't even have a personality and could be played by any good-looking guy. Book Daario, on the other hand (who is more similar to season 3 Daario, but more extreme) - it's pretty interesting to look for an actor who could actually pull that off.

Its the show - that's why I've been giving you the actors from the show all along and asking you to recast them. I would assume most of us (certainly I'm one) would like the show characters to resemble the book characters as closely as possible, but others may wish to pick a new actor for other reasons.

As for Daario, pretend both the previous actors are off the show and you get to start with a clean slate as if the other two never existed. Or if you prefer, pretend you are the casting director, Skrein and Huisman have done their auditions, but you're not satisfied with either one - and you have the whole world of actors to pick from. Whom do you choose instead? This is not a test, you get to please yourself, Annara Snow. Who do you want to see on the screen in that role? I do completely agree the current Daario is flavorless - the exact opposite of the guy with the forked purple beard. That's one reason I picked Daario - both versions of him on the show were a huge disappointment.

And btw, I completely agree that Whelan's Yara is rather boring. Roguish, charismatic & sexy is exactly what I would be looking for as well. I do kind of like Gemma Whelan, she seems like a nice down to earth person - but her Yara Greyjoy pales next to the book Asha Greyjoy in my imagination. Again, show Yara/Asha was a big disappointment to me and the reason I picked her to recast.

And though I say "please yourself" you are still trying to get votes from the other players. It's a bit of trying to guess what will appeal to them - as with the real Acrophobia.

I don't think there's anything wrong with choosing someone we think would be closer to the book character. That is what I've been trying to do. The show's recasting of Daario reveals just how different a casting choice can be. It would be boring if we just tried to think of like-for-like nominations.

1st: Lily Allen

2nd: Natalie Dormer

3rd: Rebecca Hall

Don't really see any of these working that well though to be honest.

I've thought of another option just now. Even though I personally think mine was the best nomination of the bunch, if I could pick again I'd go for Josefin Asplund.

13 minutes ago, honeyed chicken said:

Its the show - that's why I've been giving you the actors from the show all along and asking you to recast them. I would assume most of us (certainly I'm one) would like the show characters to resemble the book characters as closely as possible, but others may wish to pick a new actor for other reasons.

As for Daario, pretend both the previous actors are off the show and you get to start with a clean slate as if the other two never existed. Or if you prefer, pretend you are the casting director, Skrein and Huisman have done their auditions, but you're not satisfied with either one - and you have the whole world of actors to pick from. Whom do you choose instead? This is not a test, you get to please yourself, Annara Snow. Who do you want to see on the screen in that role? I do completely agree the current Daario is flavorless - the exact opposite of the guy with the forked purple beard. That's one reason I picked Daario - both versions of him on the show were a huge disappointment.

And btw, I completely agree that Whelan's Yara is rather boring. Roguish, charismatic & sexy is exactly what I would be looking for as well. I do kind of like Gemma Whelan, she seems like a nice down to earth person - but her Yara Greyjoy pales next to the book Asha Greyjoy in my imagination. Again, show Yara/Asha was a big disappointment to me and the reason I picked her to recast.

And though I say "please yourself" you are still trying to get votes from the other players. It's a bit of trying to guess what will appeal to them - as with the real Acrophobia.

But then that's pretty much what I thought? We're not looking for someone necessarily similar to the show version of the characters, but someone we may see working better in that role?

In other words - it doesn't matter if we use the name "Yara" or "Asha" - it is still who we would prefer in the role as a different option.

It's just that I have sort of started to think of Yara and Asha as two different characters - kind of like Talisa ans Jeyne Westerling - so when I see Yara, I think strictly of the show version.

1 hour ago, Annara Snow said:

But then that's pretty much what I thought? We're not looking for someone necessarily similar to the show version of the characters, but someone we may see working better in that role?

In other words - it doesn't matter if we use the name "Yara" or "Asha" - it is still who we would prefer in the role as a different option.

It's just that I have sort of started to think of Yara and Asha as two different characters - kind of like Talisa ans Jeyne Westerling - so when I see Yara, I think strictly of the show version.

At its heart this game is about picking someone who will appeal to the voters. I would vote based on who would I rather see in the role among the choices offered.

I do see the show, HBO's Game of Thrones, as a different story than the books of A Song of Ice and Fire. Still I want to see the show stay as close to the books as possible in its plot and its characters, but that's me. Others may make their choices based on other factors.

7 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

that was my assumption.  I'm sorry if I confused things by saying Yara, but Asha is who I considered with my choices/votes.    

Hoping to get one or two more nominations for a new Daario. I have the results nearly done otherwise.

I am going to post the results for the round three voting along with the standings today, and hold the round four nominations for a day.

Round Three Voting Results: Yara Greyjoy

1. Lily James (Meera of Tarth): 2nd, 2nd, 2nd = 6 pt.s
  2. Summer Glau (Raisin Bran): 1st = 3 pt.s (plus 13 from r.2)
  3. Rebecca Hall (Jez Bell): 1st, 1st, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd = 10 pt.s (plus 20 from r.2)
  4. Emily Blunt (Dolorous Gabe): 2nd, 1st, 1st = 7 pt.s (plus 13 from r.2)
  5. Kelly MacDonald (Annara Snow): 3rd, 3rd, 3rd = 3 pt.s (plus 19 from r.2)
  6. Lily Allen (RhaenysBee): 3rd, 1st, 1st = 7 pt.s (plus 9 from r.2)
  7. Natalie Dormer (Rock Sniffer): 2nd = 2 pt.s (plus 5 from r.2)

Standings through round three

1. Jez Bell - 30 points

2. Annara Snow - 22 points

3. Dolorous Gabe - 21 points

4. Raisin Bran - 16 points

4. RhaenysBee - 16 points 

6. Rock Sniffer - 7 points

7. Meera of Tarth - 6 points

8. dbunting - 4 points

Round four nominations for  a new actor to play Daario Naharis (replacing Michiel Huisman and Ed Skrein).

I will post these no later than tomorrow morning. I'm waiting on one more nomination.

Round five: recast Olenna Tyrell (Diana Rigg)

Diana Rigg seems a very popular Queen of Thorns from what I can tell. Her casting in that role invites a fun trip down memory lane to the Avengers of 60's TV fame. On the other hand, even if you like Rigg, Olenna is an amusing character to recast - small part admittedly, but with a big impact on the story.

Send me a private message with your nomination - 1st choice plus an alternate in case someone has already nominated your 1st choice to replace Rigg as the new Olenna Tyrell in the Game of Thrones.

Deadline for round four voting and round four nomination submissions: Sunday, Oct. 14,  10 am-ish east coast time, USA. Due are nominations for Olenna and votes on the new Daario.

Round six & beyond:

I have made a list of GOT characters for the last five rounds, but it is hardly written in stone and I'm still open to suggestion.

34 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

WOW thanks! I won round 3!:commie:

Love Lily James.

Next choices already submitted

I'm pretty sure Jez Bell won this round, with 10 points (though the score is missing from the post), because Rebecca Hall got most points, followed by Emily Blunt and Lily Allen (7 points each).

2 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

I'm pretty sure Jez Bell won this round, with 10 points (though the score is missing from the post), because Rebecca Hall got most points, followed by Emily Blunt and Lily Allen (7 points each).

Ah yes! They were not in order, my fault!

11 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Thanks, yes, fixed it.

Archived