Cast-o-phobia: We have a winner!!

honeyed chicken

Have you guys watched Black Sails? Zack McGowan could totally pull off book Daario, blue forked beard and all. He didn't have a blue beard as Charles Vane on Black Sails, but he had some weird pirate fashion choices, and yet he managed to be sleazy and eccentric as well sexy and charismatic at the same time.

Olenna:

1. Joanna Lumley

2. Maggie Smith

3. Angela Lansbury

48 minutes ago, honeyed chicken said:

Round Four Voting Results: Daario Naharis

1.      Travis Fimmel (RhaenysBee): 1st, 1st, 3rd, 2nd = 9 (plus 16 points brought forward)

2.      Zack McGowan (Annara Snow): 3rd, 2nd, 1st = 6 (plus 22 points brought forward)

3.      Tom Hardy (rocksniffer) 3rd, 3rd, 1st = 5 (plus 7 points brought forward)

4.      Ben Barnes (Jez Bell): 2nd, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd = 11 (plus 30 points brought forward)

5.      Johnny Depp (Raisin bran): = 0 (plus 16 points brought forward)

6.      Vincent Cassel (Dolorous Gabe): 1st, 2nd = 5 (plus 21 brought forward)

7.      Alex Pettyfer (Meera of Tarth):  = 0 (plus 6 brought forward)

Standings through round four

1. Jez Bell - 41 points

2. Annara Snow - 28 points

3. Dolorous Gabe - 26 points

4. RhaenysBee - 25 points

4. Raisin Bran - 16 points 

6. Rock Sniffer - 12 points

7. Meera of Tarth - 6 points

8. dbunting - 4 points

These scores aren't right. I didn't check the others, but I should have 7 points, because Zack had 1 first place, 1 second place, and 2 third places.

3 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Have you guys watched Black Sails? Zack McGowan could totally pull off book Daario, blue forked beard and all. He didn't have a blue beard as Charles Vane on Black Sails, but he had some weird pirate fashion choices, and yet he managed to be sleazy and eccentric as well sexy and charismatic at the same time.

i also thought this was true, which is why i voted for him...in fact he was my first choice but cause i am often a procrastinator, you beat me to him...and i like tom hardy cause i do think he could pull off the book description, though i also agree he has got the acting chops...

...and just my two cents...the premise was to recast actors to replace current or past show actors...

i watch the show, and of course i have read re-read the books...when i choose an actor or actress i am basing it on attitude and ability to pull off the character as described in the book but also as the character appears on the show (and not just physical appearance) ...for example now that i have given it more thought think Joan Collins would have made a badass Olenna or how about this beauty ..just replace the outfit and this face says it all

...i am choosing based on an idea of other characters they have played that are similar, or photos i have seen that when i look at them now i say to myself...that is Daario...that is Ned

...of course that is just this old asshole's opinion...

4 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

An honest response to this: I found that round difficult to choose and I could see most of the nominations working in some way so it came down to very little things when voting.

I love Black Sails and he is great in that role. He is very intense though and I wasn't personally sure he could pull off the eccentricity of book-Daario. I kinda felt he would be a more intense and physical version of Ed Skrein's Daario. I could be wrong but that was my reasoning. I plumped for Hardy in 3rd just because I felt he could pull off more of book-Daario's personality.

4 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

These scores aren't right. I didn't check the others, but I should have 7 points, because Zack had 1 first place, 1 second place, and 2 third places.

Yeah @honeyed chicken might be worth rechecking the scores as Vincent Cassel had a second 2nd place vote not included.

All I'll add on the previous round is this: I realise Vincent Cassel is in his 50s now but as soon as I thought of him I couldn't imagine anyone else pulling off every facet of Daario's character anywhere near so well as he could. He can commit wholly to anything and everything.

44 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

<snip>

All I'll add on the previous round is this: I realise Vincent Cassel is in his 50s now but as soon as I thought of him I couldn't imagine anyone else pulling off every facet of Daario's character anywhere near so well as he could. He can commit wholly to anything and everything.

i agree that this dude could easily be daario...book or show

just as an fyi Chick...i am perfectly satisfied with my low score...in fact i want everyone under me to get with the program! i am working hard to come in dead last...drunken and covered in assorted fluids...so you people need to knuckle down and get 'er done...

:smoking:

6 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

just as an fyi Chick...i am perfectly satisfied with my low score...in fact i want everyone under me to get with the program! i am working hard to come in dead last...drunken and covered in assorted fluids...so you people need to knuckle down and get 'er done...

i dunno, sniffer. I don't think this round is going to help you with that goal. ;)

About the two actors - they do not need to be a matched set or anything. My intention was that you consider each role separately. The fact that the descriptions of Loras & Margaery in the book have them looking similar may lead you to actors who look as though they could be related - or not. If so, that would be a happy coincidence. If not, no worries.

Points wise, you'll have two chances to score this round instead of the usual one.

10 minutes ago, honeyed chicken said:

About the two actors - they do not need to be a matched set or anything. My intention was that you consider each role separately. The fact that the descriptions of Loras & Margaery in the book have them looking similar may lead you to actors who look as though they could be related - or not. If so, that would be a happy coincidence. If not, no worries.

Points wise, you'll have two chances to score this round instead of the usual one.

So, are the actors going to be nominated together or separately?

BTW, my idea in casting Marg is always book!Marg, who looks super innocent (whether or not she is in fact a great political schemer, or just a girl used by her family).

There's also the classic disclaimer that the ages are never gonna be right (at least not for the book characters, who are teenagers), so... I guess we just embrace Dawson Casting (as the show did)?

2 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

So, are the actors going to be nominated together or separately?

BTW, my idea in casting Marg is always book!Marg, who looks super innocent (whether or not she is in fact a great political schemer, or just a girl used by her family).

There's also the classic disclaimer that the ages are never gonna be right (at least not for the book characters, who are teenagers), so... I guess we just embrace Dawson Casting (as the show did)?

Yes. Separate. When I list the nominees, there'll be the Maragery group of names and down below (or above) there will be the Loras group. It'll be as if two completely different rounds were being done at the same time - which, essentially, they are.

Interesting point about casting Marge, but wasn't Sophie Turner about the right age for Sansa and Maisie Williams for Arya? The rub with Marge is that D&D wanted to have her nude and do sex scenes (not in the book) and they could not legally do that with someone under 18, I don't think. If you wanted to go "by the book" you could cast someone of the right age and it would work great.

1 hour ago, honeyed chicken said:

Yes. Separate. When I list the nominees, there'll be the Maragery group of names and down below (or above) there will be the Loras group. It'll be as if two completely different rounds were being done at the same time - which, essentially, they are.

Interesting point about casting Marge, but wasn't Sophie Turner about the right age for Sansa and Maisie Williams for Arya? The rub with Marge is that D&D wanted to have her nude and do sex scenes (not in the book) and they could not legally do that with someone under 18, I don't think. If you wanted to go "by the book" you could cast someone of the right age and it would work great.

Well, casting age appropriately would be great, but I don't know if it's possible, without fancasting unknowns. I don't know almost any currently famous teen actors - and even most of the actors playing teenagers on TV and in movies are adults. GoT did the same - not just with Marg and Loras but also Dany, Jon, Robb and Joffrey. The only reason they had to cast child actors as Sansa, Arya and Bran, and initially as Myrcella and Tommen, was because their characters start off as prepubescent children or children just entering puberty.

1. Judi Dench

2. Maggie Smith

3. Joanna Lumley

Too many good choices.

Standings through round four

1. Jez Bell - 41 points

5. Raisin Bran - 16 points 

And my steady decline continues. I feel like l am trying here, just each subsequent round I am one rung lower in the standings.

5 hours ago, Raisin' Bran said:

And my steady decline continues. I feel like l am trying here, just each subsequent round I am one rung lower in the standings.

me too Bran...but of course that is my goal...be dead last and thrown into the dungeon of debauchery..though i expect you to rebound and win it all :commie:

Archived