Dark Phoenix -- the FoX-Men finale

Bastard of Boston

1 hour ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Gotta say, it's cool to finally see the Phoenix avatar after so long.

That should make for a fun valentine's movie.

I wonder if this will be the end of the current era of x-films? I'm surprised they keep managing to get j-law to return.

The trailer makes it appear they are weirdly retreading elements of X3. Why does magneto have to be the one who tries to corrupt the phoenix to his own end again? Hopefully it's a lot better in execution. Happy to hear it is still getting released. Fingers crossed we get a new, new mutants trailer soon too.

It looks pretty bad sadly, not exactly a fitting swansong for the franchise. It just looks very uninspired, like we're gonna get the same song and dance with Magneto and Xavier that they've had in the last couple of movies. Plus my dislike of Jean Grey just makes another movie centred around her a very boring prospect for me.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

I wonder if this will be the end of the current era of x-films? I'm surprised they keep managing to get j-law to return.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/x-men/news/a837415/jennifer-lawrence-x-men-dark-phoenix-mystique-return/

"My contract was up, I didn't have to do another one, but if I didn't do another one, what would her story be?" she told Digital Spy.

"I felt like I owed it to the fans, and I owed it to the character to follow her journey, to be fair to the movies, and not be like, 'I don't want to do another X-Men!' And then I just never show up and everyone's very confused about the Mystique they've been following for the last three films."

Not too sure anyone would have cared, but that's what she had to say on the matter. I suspect the pay cheque didn't hurt.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

The trailer makes it appear they are weirdly retreading elements of X3. Why does magneto have to be the one who tries to corrupt the phoenix to his own end again? Hopefully it's a lot better in execution. Happy to hear it is still getting released. Fingers crossed we get a new, new mutants trailer soon too.

X3 was particularly hampered by attempting too many plot lines, in that respect this should hopefully be a lot more streamlined, and focused where it counts. In comparison to X3 it does actually look like Xavier's getting called out on his bullshit. At the end of Apocalypse Magneto appeared to be growing into his more heroic persona (although he has done this before,) Jean goes to him here, he doesn't seek her out to corrupt, so maybe just maybe they aren't going there again.

I'm hoping the Phoenix force is actually an entity, not just Jeans Id. I guess Shi'ar are too much to hope for?

I'll keep an open mind, I've always either loved the X-Men films or utterly loathed them.

I watched the trailer a few times. Overall, it was meh. Feels somewhat like a retread of The Last Stand minus the mutant cure storyline. I'll be honest, ever since the advent of the MCU, the X-Men films have felt increasingly irrelevant, and it makes me glad that they're getting bought by Disney.

I do like the Grant Morrison era costumes though.

43 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Feels somewhat like a retread of The Last Stand minus the mutant cure storyline.

I mean, yeah, that's what it is. Last Stand mangled this plotline from the comics (in part by mixing it in with the mutant cure bit) and this is an attempt to do it justice.

First X-Men film not to have Singer involved in any capacity, right?

I'm expecting this to be a 'meh' movie like the last few. Can't wait for Feige to take over.. but Dark Pheonix needs to take a break for a few years. Possibly even Magneto too however iconic he is.

This trailer leaves out Mr. Sinister so there's at least one extra storyline floating around in this movie.

37 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

This trailer leaves out Mr. Sinister so there's at least one extra storyline floating around in this movie.

Is he supposed to be in this? 

Trailer was alright but it gives too much away. Think about it for more than a minute and it's awfully clear whose funeral that is. 

11 hours ago, Nictarion said:

*Sophie

Eh.

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Trailer was alright but it gives too much away. Think about it for more than a minute and it's awfully clear whose funeral that is. 

Cyclops? ;) 

Just now, RedEyedGhost said:

Eh.

Cyclops? ;) 

No, thankfully. If Fox even remotely cared about continuity we know most of them can't die cause they're alive in the end of Days of Future Past (and Deadpool 2 but I view that as just a gag as the ages don't make sense) 

We've got beast being super sad in his funeral suit blaming Charles, and another short clip of him crying and pressing his face against Mystique, and a shot of her apparently about to be enveloped in flames. Plus she's not seen in at the funeral or the scenes that look like they're from the climax.

Supposedly from the synopsis:

Spoiler

The scenes we have of them going up into space is where she merges with the Phoenix, and then becomes more and more out of control. And we will have some alien race attempting to use her as a weapon - sort of a cross of the Hellfire Club and Shi'ar plot. 

That said, every Bryan Singer X movie is almost functionally identical:

• Start with big action sequence as backstory (White house, attack on future, apocalypse attack)
  • Have woman sneaking around in a place and spying on things (Mystique in X2, Mystique in DoFP, Moira in Apoc)
  • Team up with Magneto, only for Magneto to actually be the real problem all along 
  • Some cool sequence of mutant powers in flashy way (Wolvie sequence in X2, Quicksilver in DoFP and Apoc)
  • Big philosophy-off with Xavier and his Dream
  • Final battle that kind of sucks

I'm not expecting much from this one given Magneto is actually in it. 

Just now, RumHam said:

Moira also did the sneaky investigative thing in early in First Class, sneaking into that club.

Ooh yeah, she did, though that wasn't Singer exactly, that was Vaughn (though I think Singer had a credit on it). 

21 minutes ago, RumHam said:

The post-credits scene in Apocalypse alludes to Sinister so unless they just throw that scene away, he should play a role in the movie. Given that particular trailer, it may be in a smaller, Trask-like role though. I had hoped he would be a much more major villain, but with Dark Phoenix and Lillandra / Shi'ar storylines, not sure they'll have enough screentime for that. 

And yeah, the funeral should be

Spoiler

Jean's instead of Scott's.

Guessing it's at the halfway to 3/4 of the movie mark right before the climax. It makes me wonder again why they bothered to re-do this storyline after rebooting the franchise. It's rather dull thinking no matter how bad The Last Stand was.

ETA: Nevermind, completely wrong it seems. Although, I find this even more disappointing.

The post credits scene from Apocalypse is supposed to be a tie in to Logan.

From what I've read this is(was?) supposed to be the first part of a trilogy but who knows what's happening now. If it makes big bucks I imagine they will squeeze at least one more out, since the Fox deal doesn't even go through til next year and allegedly allows for things in production to be finished.

Archived