Dark Phoenix -- the FoX-Men finale

Bastard of Boston

57 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

The post credits scene from Apocalypse is supposed to be a tie in to Logan.

From what I've read this is(was?) supposed to be the first part of a trilogy but who knows what's happening now. If it makes big bucks I imagine they will squeeze at least one more out, since the Fox deal doesn't even go through til next year and allegedly allows for things in production to be finished.

56 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Oh and Lillandra / Shi'ar aren't in this.

Well I'm just on a roll :P. I guess that saves Sinister and Lillandra for an MCU X-Men run then. 

After Apocalypse, I'm not too excited for this... I might go see it in the movies, depending on what else is out that week, or if there's a sale at Penny's... but maybe my lack of enthusiasm is because I know that it's a dead end... I realize that most movies are not part of a larger narrative ... but one of things I liked about these flicks is the connection to the x-men universe, and building to the next movie... 

8 hours ago, WarGalley said:

This trailer leaves out Mr. Sinister so there's at least one extra storyline floating around in this movie.

I think putting Mr. Sinister on screen, which they clearly were planning to do, is a really fun idea.  Then again, I thought Apocalypse would be really cool too, and that didn't work out too great.  Maybe Feige can fix it, I don't know.  Assault accusations aside, I wouldn't discount Singer, nor Simon Kinberg - who, to be perfectly clear, hasn't been accused of anything and is directing this movie.  Anyway, I suppose my point is I don't think X Men - which is certainly my favorite Marvel property - will inherently be better upon change of ownership.  They can easily fuck it up. 

Heard on a review video for trailer that Chastain's character could be a Mrs Sinister. Also, how the hell are they gonna explain what she did at the end of Apocalypse if in this film she is exposed to the Phoenix force? 

Being the last Fox X-Men film, I hope they at least tell a coherent story. The trailer sure as shit doesn't look like it though.

2 hours ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

Also, how the hell are they gonna explain what she did at the end of Apocalypse if in this film she is exposed to the Phoenix force? 

Presumably the same way they explained Charles coming back to life in his original body, nobody aging from 1962 to the 90's, there being two Emma Frosts, and Wolverine and Sabertooth not realizing they were brothers there being two versions of Caliban, and Mystique taking Stryker's place at the end of Days of Future Past. 

As someone who grew up loving X-Men comics and not caring about Avengers at all, it's really amazing how stoked I am for Capt Marvel and how meh I am for Dark Phoenix...

The trailer looks fine, I just don't believe it'll fulfill the promise. Hope I'm wrong.

8 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Although i doubt Disney will keep any of Fox's X-cast ... I would imagine that they'd have a difficult time justifying re-casting Ryan Reynolds 

Given Deadpool's self-awareness, he can be the only one in the movie who realizes he hasn't been recast.

"Wait a minute... You're not Hugh Jackman!"
"Who Jackbub?" Snikt!

7 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

And Gambit, which is still obviously being made...

So it's moved to June. This will move it much closer to New Mutants (August)

Assuming new mutants isn't delayed again. It's hilarious how Gambit keeps being mentioned. Tatum could have had a trilogy out if they'd actually come up with a story and made the film from the get go. I guess the faltering point will continue to be that Gambit really isn't a solo character and would work better in a team setting, probably x-force given the film version of the X-Men are currently quite young.

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I always liked him. He and Rogue were a fun couple. 

Again it worked in the cartoon but the on/off, on/off cycle of 30 years of comics wore thin for many long term readers. 

A film with Gambit and Rogue could work and they recently suggested the film might be a romance so who knows? I just think they'd need s clean slate with the film rogue for that to work. At its core someone who genuinely can't be touched lends itself well to a romance.

Archived