Dark Phoenix -- the FoX-Men finale

Bastard of Boston

1 hour ago, All Souls Bass said:

That's a good sign if it got moved to summer, right? That's prime big movie season. 

The supposed rational is China, apparently the trailer did well there, and studios are now bending over backwards to exploit the Chinese market. More time to negotiate means more theaters in China. Fox moved their film Alita to the previous Dark Phoenix slot to capitalise on the Chinese New Year.

So yeah, the good news is it appears to be entirely about making more money, and not reshoots, or problems with the edit.

Gambit was never really my guy, but I always liked him as part of a team. He's often quite tied up with Rogue, and she's one of my favourites.

6 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

The supposed rational is China, apparently the trailer did well there, and studios are now bending over backwards to exploit the Chinese market. More time to negotiate means more theaters in China. Fox moved their film Alita to the previous Dark Phoenix slot to capitalise on the Chinese New Year.

So yeah, the good news is it appears to be entirely about making more money, and not reshoots, or problems with the edit.

Gambit was never really my guy, but I always liked him as part of a team. He's often quite tied up with Rogue, and she's one of my favourites.

China seems to make or break films these days and with the budgets for blockbusters I guess they can't be ignored. 

It's just a shame they took Rogue in such a different direction in the films (probably due to budget at the time) as the comic version was confident, a power house yet still troubled by her powers. The film version just went with the angst. But the flirting between her and Gambit was fun.

22 hours ago, red snow said:

China seems to make or break films these days and with the budgets for blockbusters I guess they can't be ignored. 

It's just a shame they took Rogue in such a different direction in the films (probably due to budget at the time) as the comic version was confident, a power house yet still troubled by her powers. The film version just went with the angst. But the flirting between her and Gambit was fun.

Maybe having Captain Marvel now in the MCU gives this as a good intro to the X-Men. The Brotherhood attack CM, Rogue steals her powers, loses control, and goes to the Xavier for help. Basically issue #171.

Yes, I keep pushing for the story that the X-Men have been operating incognito for sometime in the MCU. A new version, mind you. Hell, Fury probably knows about them, but Charles refuses to let his X-Men get involved. This will be my head canon until Feige proves me otherwise. :)

RE: remaining fox X-Men movies, they're apparently still planning to do Multiple Man.

Kinberg also told IGN, with a potential Disney acquisition pending, Fox is continuing to work on upcoming superhero projects. "Gambit has a great script and we’re looking to start that movie early next year. Multiple Man, that script’s being worked on right now," Kinberg said. As for X-Force, "we’re just waiting for Drew Goddard to be done with releasing his film that comes out in a few weeks, and then he’ll get started on that script to direct."

Gambit Movie Will be A Romantic Comedy

Notably missing from that list is Noah Hawley's Doom movie :( I hope Disney meets with him about doing something cause Legion is my kinda crazy. 

Edit: so the actual quote from Kinberg is that Gambit will have a "romantic or sex comedy vibe." I don't think I'm ready for an X-Men sex comedy. 

On 10/1/2018 at 12:08 PM, RumHam said:

they're apparently still planning to do Multiple Man.

Yikes.

On 10/1/2018 at 12:08 PM, RumHam said:

Gambit Movie Will be A Romantic Comedy

Double yikes.

Wasn't Multiple Man being thrown around years ago when studios thought they could just throw every costume character on the screen and milk that sweet sweet Marvel profit?

Yeah, Justice League killed that cow.

• 4 months later...

As much as I appreciate McAvoy and Fassbender -- and Stewart and McKellen before them -- I'm just ready for this version of the IP to die. I have such a complicated relationship with the FoX-Men franchise. I love it just about as much as I hate it. I want to see this movie. I'm interested in seeing this movie. But I also want to see it so it so I can put this thing to bed.

1 hour ago, Bastard of Boston said:

As much as I appreciate McAvoy and Fassbender -- and Stewart and McKellen before them -- I'm just ready for this version of the IP to die. I have such a complicated relationship with the FoX-Men franchise. I love it just about as much as I hate it. I want to see this movie. I'm interested in seeing this movie. But I also want to see it so it so I can put this thing to bed.

Well it looks like we are never going to get a good version of the Dark Phoenix story, one of my favourites from the comics. This looks pretty dire, in much the same way that the last X-Men movie was.

My main issue here is Jean and Sophie Turner. I really don't think Turner is a great actress by any standard, but also I think it feels too soon to be jumping into this storyline, Jean hasn't been developed enough IMO and if she is going to have all these things happen to her then you need to be invested in her, her relationship with Scott etc. 

There seems to be such a hurry with the X-Men to just pump out their best stories from the comics, regardless of whether the timing is right or if they can do it at all.

Just now, Heartofice said:

Well it looks like we are never going to get a good version of the Dark Phoenix story, one of my favourites from the comics. This looks pretty dire, in much the same way that the last X-Men movie was.

My main issue here is Jean and Sophie Turner. I really don't think Turner is a great actress by any standard, but also I think it feels too soon to be jumping into this storyline, Jean hasn't been developed enough IMO and if she is going to have all these things happen to her then you need to be invested in her, her relationship with Scott etc. 

There seems to be such a hurry with the X-Men to just pump out their best stories from the comics, regardless of whether the timing is right or if they can do it at all.

The 90s cartoon did a decent job (at least my tween brain remembers it as such)

Maybe marvel will develop phoenix over 20 movies like they did with Thanos? Again, as much as i like dark phoenix i feel there are much better stories and villains that are suitable fir adaptation. Magneto and the brotherhood and Apocalypse and the horsemen. 

Marvel will be in uncharted territory with a sudden overabundance of good villains to play with once they have the FF and x-men. It seems like sony has a deal where they keep their villains to themselves which is a shame as there's a ton of cross universe villains there too.

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Ooooooggghh. I thought the first trailer looked decent, but that looks TERRIBLE.

Definitely don't have high expectations, or even medium expectations, but I thought that trailer was fine.  Didn't see anything glaring.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I think it feels too soon to be jumping into this storyline, Jean hasn't been developed enough IMO

This is true, but this is probably the only way they could sell it as being a bankable sequel.  Or at least the easiest way.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Maybe marvel will develop phoenix over 20 movies like they did with Thanos?

This would've been a such great sucker punch to most movie viewers. Follow a young heroine for years and then BAM, she turns. 

Unfortunately, that pay off would be twice denuded given X3 and now X3(2). Of course, even without those movies, the news sites (or trailer...)  would've spoiled the plot twist and the tension would've been removed, making it much like the Prequel Trilogy.

But you're right, red snow. There are tons of villains they can mine from the comics. They've done a good job pulling out minor characters and adapting them. Leave DP alone. Go for something else.

On 10/3/2018 at 3:34 AM, The BlackBear said:

Is it just straight Multiple Man or X Factor? Because the former doesn't interest me, the latter might.

For a while there X-Factor was the best X book.  I doubt it would pull in the crowds at the theater, though. 

2 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

For a while there X-Factor was the best X book.  I doubt it would pull in the crowds at the theater, though. 

Depends which volume of x-factor. The most recent one was pretty popular as a mutant detectve agency but that span out directly from the madrox multiple man limited series so the film could have done the same.

I thought this was cancelled though? Isn't any x-men film not currently filming not happening now? At least until disney decides what to do post acqusition of Fox 

Why let one of the people responsible for Last Stand have another crack at Dark Phoenix? Sure Brett Ratner is awful, but it isn’t like there was a decent movie in that script without his sweaty, gropey paws.

According to Rob Liefeld, the X-Force movie was killed by the merger. Aside from whatever will happen with the New Mutants mess, there are no X things in development, Dark Phoenix will Old Yeller this shit real good.

Archived