FIRE AND BLOOD EXCERPT

Moondancer

Mern is said to have brought "half again as many AS Loren".

What you're doing is creating a force of 69,000, and 41,250 of 69k is pretty much 60%.

What "half again as many" means is that one person has brought X and the other person has brought 1.5X. No matter the total size of their combined forces, the second force will always be 60% of the total.

5 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

55,000 divided by 2 equals 27,500. Going by what I think 'half again as many' means I'd multiplied that by 1.5, equaling 41,250 which also happens to be 75% of 55,000.

The total number is 55000, which is composed of two armies Reachmen(A) and Westermen(B). The number of A is 1.5 times of the number of B.

So the number of B is 55000*1/(1+1.5)=22000

It may be intuitively easier to look at it as percentages. Total force is 100%.

If people bring equal forces, it's 50% and 50%

If one force is twice as strong as the other force, it's 33.33% and 66.66%.

If one force is three times as strong as the other force, it's 25% and 75%.

If one force is half again as strong as the other force, it's 40% and 60%.

On 9/27/2018 at 9:17 PM, Lord Varys said:

One wonders whether Winterfell gets a more bookish lord further down the line. Cregan in his old age, perhaps? Alaric's library is modest, but Tyrion finds a few treasures in the library in AGoT, does he not?

@Lord Varys  I think the library from the Nightfort may have been transferred to Castle Black.  Below is an excerpt from ASOS, Bran IV, where Bran and company are exploring the Nightfort.  They find an empty library.

They spent half the day poking through the castle. Some of the towers had fallen down and others looked unsafe, but they climbed the bell tower (the bells were gone) and the rookery (the birds were gone). Beneath the brewhouse they found a vault of huge oaken casks that boomed hollowly when Hodor knocked on them. They found a library (the shelves and bins had collapsed, the books were gone, and rats were everywhere). They found a dank and dim-lit dungeon with cells enough to hold five hundred captives, but when Bran grabbed hold of one of the rusted bars it broke off in his hand. 

Yeah, I knew that I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere down the road.

Hopefully we can correct that thing. The problem crept in back when we were making TWoIaF. But, hell, I should have asked somebody about that thing.

3 minutes ago, The Hidden Dragon said:

@Lord Varys  I think the library from the Nightfort may have been transferred to Castle Black.  Below is an excerpt from ASOS, Bran IV, where Bran and company are exploring the Nightfort.  They find an empty library.

I'd rather assume that they moved those books to Castle Black. Winterfell's library is still somewhat modest in AGoT - just one tower - whereas the cellars of Castle Black seem to be full of books.

5 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Someone had to do it. :D But what happened to your subtle struggle for dominance? Wechselvoller Kampf? 

No idea ... that is not ideal. I'm not the guy doing the final things. Varys just prepares the things for the big guys. It falls to Cersei and Joffrey to seal the deal ;-).

57 minutes ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

So Robar Baratheon became now officially Rogar Baratheon? Shame, Rogar sounds much worse in my opinion and name Robar could indicate ties with house Royce where name Robar was common.

Yes. I prefer Rogar (although I was pissed that a false name was introduced into published material anyway) since that name is more unique than Robar which has been used rather often already.

It also has more of a Valyrian vibe to it than Robar (which is clearly not a Valyrian name). Rogar is Orys Baratheon's grandson and Aerion Targaryen's great-grandson. At this point in time it would make sense for the Baratheons to have (occasionally) more Valyrian names than they do in later days.

If we compare the sound of 'Rogar' to the name 'Rhaegar' then you see what I mean. And, no, not all Valyrian names do need to have the 'ae' thing in them.

6 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Yes. I prefer Rogar (although I was pissed that a false name was introduced into published material anyway) since that name is more unique than Robar which has been used rather often already.

It also has more of a Valyrian vibe to it than Robar (which is clearly not a Valyrian name). Rogar is Orys Baratheon's grandson and Aeron Targaryen's great-grandson. At this point in time it would make sense for the Baratheons to have (occasionally) more Valyrian names than they do in later days.

If compare the sound of 'Rogar' to the name 'Rhaegar' then you see what I mean. And, no, not all Valyrian names do need to have the 'ae' thing in them.

Personally I prefer recurring names in families/regions similar to Middle Ages where noble families often used interchangeably only few names ( like Louis, Philippe and Charles in France). Of course it's just my opinion so it doesn't matter anyway.

I wonder if in Westeros have some sort of name list like in some countries from which people choose names for their children or they just make up names from their heads.

More on the topic, I hope we will learn more about Rhaena and her third husband Androw Farman and whether they had any children who passed Targaryen genes to other noble houses (perhaps they had a daughter which married Lord Lannister as other have suggested). Androw possibly could also become lord of Fair Isle as his brother could die without issue. 

On 10/28/2018 at 12:02 AM, Paxter Redwyne said:

Personally I prefer recurring names in families/regions similar to Middle Ages where noble families often used interchangeably only few names ( like Louis, Philippe and Charles in France). Of course it's just my opinion so it doesn't matter anyway.

Yeah, it would good if George had stuck with that. He tried, originally, but they had him add more characters so the readers wouldn't confuse them.

I wonder if in Westeros have some sort of name list like in some countries from which people choose names for their children or they just make up names from their heads.

With the Targaryens it is clear that many are named after certain famous ancestors and relations and the like, but there doesn't seem to be a system to that, either - hello there, Valerion, Valarr, and Matarys.

More on the topic, I hope we will learn more about Rhaena and her third husband Androw Farman and whether they had any children who passed Targaryen genes to other noble houses (perhaps they had a daughter which married Lord Lannister as other have suggested). Androw possibly could also become lord of Fair Isle as his brother could die without issue. 

That is most likely going to be addressed and resolved, especially now that Androw Farman is finally part of the Targaryen family tree.

But I never liked or ascribed to the idea that the Lannisters could have had Targaryen blood. I think the whole Tyrion thing makes it very unlikely that this is the case. If Androw and Rhaena had children, I don't think it is very likely they ended up marrying into House Lannister - although I'm pretty sure the Lannisters would have very much liked that.

Table of Contents released!

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/45006865_1865556450226933_8822564073884352512_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=a7f4a94fc0648c42b074efbf26cadbef&oe=5C3CB2A4

Analysis:

Aegon’s Conquest (23 pages)

Reign of the Dragon-The Wars of King Aegon I (12 pages)

Three Heads Had the Dragon-Governnance Under King Aegon I (10 pages)

(That adds up to 45 pages, 100 if you include The Sons of the Dragon, either way it is disappointing that the largest section on just Aegon I is about the Conquest, which we already got the full account of in TWOIAF)

The Sons of the Dragon (55 pages, the version in Book of Swords is 42 pages long so that means we’re getting an additional 13 pages!)

Prince into King-The Ascension of Jaehaerys I (16 pages, shouldn’t it be Prince to King?)

The Year of the Three Brides-49 AC (21 pages, NOT the year Jaehaerys I wed Alysanne, which is 50 AC)

A Surfeit of Rulers (31 pages)

A Time of Testing-The Realm Remade (18 pages)

Birth, Death, and Betrayal Under King Jaehaerys I (33 pages)

Jaehaerys and Alysanne-Their Triumphs and Tragedies (42 pages)

The Long Reign-Jaehaerys and Alysanne: Policy, Progeny, and Pain (64 pages)

(That adds up to 225 pages, 276 if you include Heirs of the Dragon! Either way that means Jaehaerys I and Alysanne are the biggest part of the book! And GRRM said he had “worked some on just fleshing out a bit” the long reign of Jaehaerys I! Talk about an understatement! 

Heirs of the Dragon-A Question of Succession (51 pages, which is more than was in The Rogue Prince!)

The Dying of the Dragons-The Blacks and the Greens (20 pages) 

The Dying of the Dragons-A Son for a Son (14 pages)

The Dying of the Dragons-The Red Dragon and the Gold (30 pages)

The Dying of the Dragons-Rhaenyra Triumphant (45 pages)

The Dying of the Dragons-Rhaenyra Overthrown (44 pages)

The Dying of the Dragons-The Short, Sad Reign of Aegon II (19 pages)

(That adds up to 172 pages, which is little more than twice the size of TPATQ!)

Aftermath-The Hour of the Wolf (21 pages)

Under the Regents-The Hooded Hand (28 pages, the Hooded Hand is probably Tyland Lannister)

Under the Regents-War and Peace and Cattle Shows (29 pages, cattle shows probably refers to the ball where Aegon III chose Daenaera to be his new wife)

Under the Regents-The Voyage of Alyn Oakenfist (17 pages)

The Lyseni Spring and the End of Regency (41 pages, isn’t it missing a “the” before the word Regency?)

(That adds up to 115 pages, 136 if you include Aftermath!)

Lineages and Family Tree (1 page, lineages is plural but what does that mean if it isn’t a typo?)

P.S. I wonder how the artwork fits with these page counts.

As for the table of contents:

I'd have preferred it if had gotten sections and chapters - 'The Dragon Had Three Heads', 'The Conciliator/Old King and the Good Queen', 'The Dying of the Dragons' and 'Under the Regents', say, and then have chapter titles don't always repeat the section title.

3 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

No, the Black Brides take place in 47 AC during the reign of Maegor. I think one can assume that one of them is Alyssa Velaryon and another one might be Rhaena Targaryen. 

Can't be Alyssa. She married half a year after stepping down as regent in 50 or 51 AC.

49 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf said:

Can't be Alyssa. She married half a year after stepping down as regent in 50 or 51 AC

I remember the Worldbook was a bit ambiguous about it, but I think Sons of the Dragon was rather clear that the wedding took place half a year after Jaehaerys's coronation.

18 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

I remember the Worldbook was a bit ambiguous about it, but I think Sons of the Dragon was rather clear that the wedding took place half a year after Jaehaerys's coronation.

Can you find me the quote please? I don't have access to the text anymore.

19 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf said:

Can you find me the quote please? I don't have access to the text anymore.

His mother Alyssa would act as his regent during the remaining years of the king's minority, whilst Lord Robar Baratheon was named Protector of the Realm and Hand of the King. (Half a year later, the two of them would wed.)

Archived