FIRE AND BLOOD EXCERPT

Moondancer

I think it's interesting that Aegon was preparing against the Others by uniting the realm. I hope we hear more in the books about what his plan was. I find it weird that Aegon would prepare against it, yet not go north beyond the wall to root it out and strike the first blow. 

I assume you mean it'd be interesting _if_ Aegon was preparing, etc. Again, George was referring to fan speculation. There's nothing like it anywhere in F&B, and frankly I consider that fairly telling about how far one can go with the speculation.

9 minutes ago, Ran said:

I assume you mean it'd be interesting _if_ Aegon was preparing, etc. Again, George was referring to fan speculation. There's nothing like it anywhere in F&B, and frankly I consider that fairly telling about how far one can go with the speculation.

Ha, yea i saw that other thread and your comment there after posting this comment. So yes lol 

And i dont know if i would go that far in speculating against it though either. Fire and Blood is written from a Maester living during the reign of Aegon V. So he is pretty far separated from the facts and possibly intimate details that would reveal any knowledge Aegon may have had on that matter. I assume we will be given a general blow by blow of things and would have to piece it together as best we can from his noted actions. 

And i imagine much information has been lost between Aegon To Aegon V. Else wise Jaehaerys wouldn't have had Barth searching so hard for answers

3 hours ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

Tywin was innocent. I knew it.

A secret tunnel into a brothel is not exactly the kind of place one uses to hide from dragonfire. But who knows? Perhaps Varys was leading Tyrion around at the nose. It wouldn't be the first time.

4 hours ago, zionius said:

Nothing much new in the EW preview. We can now tell apart the 4 story tellers of the Dance of Dragons, though.

There may be more. We also have Maester Norren and the chronicles of Maidenpool, and possibly others for certain regional events.

What about the excerpt from times UK? https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/game-of-thrones-an-extract-from-george-rr-martins-new-book-fire-and-blood-2jdrhqwjf

1. A little bit of fleshing out for Marilda of Hull - she had her own ships, and was the same age as Rhaenyra (16 in 114 and 18 in 115 means she was born in 97 AC). Addam was born in 114 (the year Laenor and Rhaenyra wed and had Jace) and Alyn in 115 (the year Lucerys was born).
  2. Silver Denys is said to be descended from a bastard of King Maegor, rather than being his son, which makes more sense, since Maegor had been dead for 81 years in 129 AC.
  3. Alyn trying to tame Sheepstealer but being set afire kinda reminds me of Quent's little adventure, though Alyn obviously survived.
  4. Apparently Jacaerys's death takes place in early 130. I thought it was in late 129.
  5. Poor little Aegon.
  6. Nettles was terrified after the Gullet battle, when Ulf and Hugh Hammer drank to celebrate their victory. Really highlights their differences. Addam sought out Corlys, but we're not told what they discussed.

32 minutes ago, Alyssa of House Arryn said:

What about the excerpt from times UK? https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/game-of-thrones-an-extract-from-george-rr-martins-new-book-fire-and-blood-2jdrhqwjf

1. Apparently Jacaerys's death takes place in early 130. I thought it was in late 129.x

George settled on a date, since it was either side of the new year, and went with just after the new year. Should be corrected in the next TWoIaF edition. I don't think the date is ever given in TPatQ, but that's less likely to be amended anyways.

18 minutes ago, Ran said:

George settled on a date, since it was either side of the new year, and went with just after the new year. Should be corrected in the next TWoIaF edition. I don't think the date is ever given in TPatQ, but that's less likely to be amended anyways.

I guess FaB now supersedes the novellas now, anyways, in relation to canon and stuff, right? Any contradictions, discrepancies between TSotD, TRP, TPatQ, TWoIaF (until you get out a new and hopefully final edition), and FaB will take their lead from FaB?

53 minutes ago, Alyssa of House Arryn said:

A little bit of fleshing out for Marilda of Hull - she had her own ships, and was the same age as Rhaenyra (16 in 114 and 18 in 115 means she was born in 97 AC). Addam was born in 114 (the year Laenor and Rhaenyra wed and had Jace) and Alyn in 115 (the year Lucerys was born).

Hihi, that makes it not unlikely that Laenor is the father of Addam and Alyn after all, no? Considering we know he lived on Driftmark both prior to and after his wedding...

1. Silver Denys is said to be descended from a bastard of King Maegor, rather than being his son, which makes more sense, since Maegor had been dead for 81 years in 129 AC.

A apt correction. The other thing sounded ridiculous - and looked even more ridiculous if one tried to imagine it. A lot like Erik Ironmaker at the Kingsmoot ... with dragons, that is.

1. Apparently Jacaerys's death takes place in early 130. I thought it was in late 129.

That is good to know. The plan for the attack on KL was supposed to be the first full moon of the new year, which could have been early in January 130 AC, or close to the end of the month, so it wasn't really clear when exactly the Battle of the Gullet took place to postpone that.

One also hopes the dates of the whole Half-Year Queen thing do add up. Rhaenyra should sit the Iron Throne for about half a year (with a leeway of 1-2 months, give or take) to warrant that particular nickname. The woman fleeing KL and hanging out on the road or at Duskendale was no longer a queen as such. She was a refuge searching for a way to return home.

1. Nettles was terrified after the Gullet battle, when Ulf and Hugh Hammer drank to celebrate their victory. Really highlights their differences. Addam sought out Corlys, but we're not told what they discussed.

That shows how rotten the latter were, or how sensible Nettles was. But then - watching hundreds or thousands of people burn and drown must get to pretty much any normal human being. We don't need to know what Addam and Corlys talked about to assume the boy searched for comfort and guidance with his (grand-)father. Corlys was a veteran of many battles, presumably, and must have seen an awful lot of cruel and strange things.

As for this Aegon/Conquest thing:

George could have given us a reason why Aegon conquered Westeros - he could have been hungry for battle and glory like the Young Dragon or Maegor the Cruel. He could have had petty motivations due to imagined or real slights, he could have been provoked and/or attacked by Argilac and/or Harren.

Instead the reason why he invaded Westeros is a mystery. That causes people to speculate in a certain direction.

A really noteworthy thing is that Aegon (aside from the whole Dornish War thing) really tried to keep his conquered lands intact and not destroy their resources. Especially the Field of Fire seems to be masterpiece from a tactical viewpoint. He did not only defeat the largest host in Westerosi history at that point, he also did it with pretty few casualties (and most of the men who burned were lords and knights, part of Mern's 'iron fist'). His dealings with the Arryns and Starks are very mild as well, even with the Ironborn later on.

One can speculate whether this was done, at least in part, because he thought he needed the lands he conquered intact. And the Dornish War later only escalates because the Dornishmen (especially those Wyls) really takes things very far - and then Rhaenys dies.

Because we haven't had enough excerpts already, I found something in Danish and a kindly redditor translated it. https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/9xqs27/spoilers_extended_anyone_know_any_danish_another/

It concerns Jaehaerys finding out his daughter slept with three separate men (Jonah Mooton, Roy Connington, and Braxton Beesbury) and how he promptly went all Bryan Mills on them.  Other details include what I think is the tourney that Ryam Redwyne and Clement Crabb drew in, the aftermath of Maegor's reign (Benifer seems to remain Grand Maester), and the Aegon's Conquest/First Dornish War excerpts we've already gotten. I can make out references to some new characters- the oddly named Prentys Tully, Alaric Stark's heir Walton (named after the Moon King), and (I think) a new Kingsguard who served alongside Lucamore Strong called Lorence Roxton. 

I'd just like to advise anyone who really wants to enjoy the thing to stay away from any such leaks. Translations done this way are often garbled and those google doc searches are confuse things (we also did them back for TPatQ ;-)).

It is just a few days now.

Even all those official excerpts are getting a little much now.

One really hopes they won't do that for TWoW.

Tidbits from the Danish preview:

Seems like Jaehaerys had some battle with the Faith Militant.

The mad Prince Morion Martell had a crazy the plan to invade the Stormland by sea. Building the first fleet in thousands of years since Nymeria, Jaehaerys knew his assault plan half a year before Morion sailed. And Morion three dragons waited his fleet at sea. One after another the ships went up in flames. They were still burning when the sun went down, "like a hundred lightning spikes fleeing on the water." There were burned bodies on the Cape Wrath coasts for half a year thereafter, but no living Dornishmen ever set foot on the shores of Stormland. Even Aegon the Conqueror had never won a war without losing a single man.

The dragons of Jaehaerys's children: Caraxes, Vhagar, Meleys.

Daella's death plants the seed for the First Quarrel.

Saera smuggled cats into Daella's bedroom, filled Daella's night pot with bees, stole all the white cloaks she could find and colored them shining. At 13 she told the king that she was planning to marry the prince of Dorne, or perhaps the King of the Wall, so she could be queen like her mother. At 15 she turned her eyes: why the dreams of fiery monarchs, when she could have as many great armed men and knights as she wanted? After got caught in the whorehouse and questioned before her parents, she said, "I'd like to get married, why did not I? You were already married when you were my age. But with whom? Jonah and Roy both love me so I could take either of them, but they are the pure puppies. The Wasp does not love me, but he makes me smile, and sometimes he makes me scream. I could marry them all three, why not? Why are you just having a single husband? Aegon had two wives, and Maegor had six or eight." She had gone too far. Jaehaerys got up and stepped down from the Iron throne, face trembling with anger. "Do you compare yourself with Maegor? Is that what you aim for? Get her back to her sleep comfort," he commanded his guards. "And let her stay there until I send her a message."

Jonah and Roy were exiled, and Jaehaerys told Braxten Beesbury, "I could have you castrate and sent to the wall, that was what I did to Sir Lucamore, and he was a better man than you. I could take your father's land, but there would be no justice. He had no part in what you did. But we also can not let you go and spread rumors about my daughter so we intend to take your tongue. And your nose as well, I think, so you get a little harder to contemplate young ladies. You are too proud of your skills with swords and lances, so we will also take that away from you. We're going to break your arms and legs, and my maesters will make sure they are twisted back together." So Braxten chose trial by combat. 

After that Jaehaerys became the "Old King". He had become thinner, almost skinny, and there was more grey than gold in his brow and hair now. He told Septon Barth and his two sons, "If there should be another war, it's you who must fight it, I have my roads to finish." Grand Maester Elysar remarks: "He had a better way with roads than daughters."

Viserra proved to be yet another trouble. Once she took six boys up to the Dragonpit and told them that she would give her virginity to the one who dared to put his head into the mouth of a dragon. Later she hopes to marry Baelon, (Alyssa had died of stillbirth by then) but not because she loves him. She just wants to be queen.  "He married one sister, so why not another? I am much more beautiful than Alyssa ever was - you saw her herself. She had a crooked nose." After Alysanne arranged her betrothal to Theomore Manderly, the princess was not convinced. "If you like him, you can marry him, mother," she said.

In five years, Alysanne lost three of her daughters: Daella in 82, Alyssa in 84 and Viserra in 87. She was in great sorrow. Her other two daughters, Maegelle and Gael became the queen's constant companion and support. The queen found power in their presence, but nevertheless her thoughts more often and often went to the daughter who was not with her. Although Jaehaerys had banned it, Alysanne had committed himself to his disclosure and hired people to keep an eye on her own child on the other side of the Narrow Sea. She therefore knew that Saera was still in Lys and still in the pleasure house. She had Septon Barth to talk about how forgiveness is a virtue, and time heals all sores. When Barth was finished, she pleaded with the king to bring Saera home.

3 hours ago, zionius said:

The dragons of Jaehaerys's children: Caraxes, Vhagar, Meleys.

Probably Daenerys aka Aegon was Vhagar's rider? I mean, I suppose Meleys was Aemon's dragon (and went to his daughter after his death), Caraxes was Baelon's, and as for daughters - I doubt Daella was a dragonrider, and other ladies except Alyssa were not dragonriders for sure. So, it means either Alyssa or this new Daenerys had dragons, and as this Daenerys is new figure - she was third dragonriders. 

9 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Hihi, that makes it not unlikely that Laenor is the father of Addam and Alyn after all, no? Considering we know he lived on Driftmark both prior to and after his wedding...

The excerpt mentions that althought Laenor visited Hull, he rarely did so, whereas it was like a second home for Corlys. If anything, it reinforces the idea that Corlys was the dad, and many of Rhaenyra's court thought the same, but didn't say anything aloud. Btw, both boys had the Valyrian looks. Marilda grew up in the shipyards, and when her father died, she sold the yards and bought a cog. In the end, she commanded seven ships. I think that's why Corlys was attracted to her.

I don't remember if it's already in TPatQ, but Mushroom tried to mount Silverwing and his pants caught fire.

Archived