FIRE AND BLOOD EXCERPT

Moondancer

2 hours ago, zionius said:

Later she hopes to marry Baelon, (Alyssa had died of stillbirth by then) but not because she loves him. She just wants to be queen.  "He married one sister, so why not another? I am much more beautiful than Alyssa ever was - you saw her herself. She had a crooked nose." After Alysanne arranged her betrothal to Theomore Manderly, the princess was not convinced. "If you like him, you can marry him, mother," she said.

In five years, Alysanne lost three of her daughters: Daella in 82, Alyssa in 84 and Viserra in 87.

Wait a minute, if Viserra died in 87, why did she want to marry Baelon and become queen when Baelon became heir in 92, five years after Viserra's death? In 87, Aemon was the heir!

In 84 AC Alyssa gave birth to a third son, a boy, whom they gave the name of Aegon after the Conqueror. "They call me Baelon the Brave," said the prince to his wife while sitting at her bed. But you are far braver than me. I'd rather take half a hundred blows than to go through what you just did. "Alyssa laughed at him. "You are created for battle, and I'm created for this. Viserys and Daemon and Aegon, it's three. we'll make another one as soon as I'm back again. I'd like to give you twenty. Our very own army!" It should never happen. Alyssa Targaryen had the heart of a warrior in a woman's body, but her strength let her down. She never got on the feet of Aegon and died the same year at the age of twenty-four. Little Prince Aegon did not survive his mother for a long time: he left six months later.

4 minutes ago, Alyssa of House Arryn said:

if Viserra died in 87, why did she want to marry Baelon and become queen when Baelon became heir in 92, five years after Viserra's death? In 87, Aemon was the heir!

Got no idea, didn't note the death of Aemon mentioned in the preview. I'll check again. Could just be a translation error.

I dug something new (might be inaccurate due to double translation):

Daella was to marry a Blackwood till she was horrified to found they believed in the Old Gods.

Princess Rhaenys was a big and fragrant child with the black hair of her Baratheon mother and her Targaryen father's violet eyelid. As she was the Prince of Dragonstone's firstborn, many regarded her as the next legitimate heir to the Iron Throne after her father. When Queen Alysanne held her for the first time, she call the little girl "our future queen".

Viserra went to Baelon to rescue her from the betrothal. She slipped past the prince's bodyguard and into his sleeping room where she undressed (?) and took care of his wine while waiting for his coming. When Baelon finally showed up, he found her drunk and naked (?) in her bed, and threw her out. The princess was so insecure of the legs that she had to have two maids and a knight of the Kingsguard to help her back to her own room.

Aemon and his wife were both alive by 87 AC. But the preview did say Viserra wanted to marry Baelon and become queen.

41 minutes ago, zionius said:

I dug something new (might be inaccurate due to double translation):

Daella was to marry a Blackwood till she was horrified to found they believed in the Old Gods.

Princess Rhaenys was a big and fragrant child with the black hair of her Baratheon mother and her Targaryen father's violet eyelid. As she was the Prince of Dragonstone's firstborn, many regarded her as the next legitimate heir to the Iron Throne after her father. When Queen Alysanne held her for the first time, she call the little girl "our future queen".

Viserra went to Baelon to rescue her from the betrothal. She slipped past the prince's bodyguard and into his sleeping room where she undressed (?) and took care of his wine while waiting for his coming. When Baelon finally showed up, he found her drunk and naked (?) in her bed, and threw her out. The princess was so insecure of the legs that she had to have two maids and a knight of the Kingsguard to help her back to her own room.

Aemon and his wife were both alive by 87 AC. But the preview did say Viserra wanted to marry Baelon and become queen.

Maybe its just the Maester taking a liberty with her motives after the fact considering what happened after to Aemon?  They're not always the most reliable narrators.   She clearly didn't want the Manderly match whereas her brother was younger, more attractive, available, she'd get to stay at home etc.  The queen stuff was maybe tacked on after the fact given what did actually happen with Aemon/Rhaenys/Baelon.

Interesting that Rhaenys did have black hair though, so her hair later in life was hair that had greyed to white and more Targ rather than starting out that way.  I can also see why the quarrel over Rhaenys was so great if Alysanne had always viewed her as future queen.

I wonder about the relationship between Braxten Beesbury "the Wasp", and Lyman Beesbury (Jaehaerys' master of coin).

Lyman was a man of eighty when he was murdered in 129 AC, so he would have been around 34 in 83 AC (when Jaehaerys killed Braxten).

It's a good job this book is so long, otherwise all these previews would be cover most of the book.  It's certainly fun reading all the stuff though, wetting my appetite quite a lot.  But I am disappointed by Alyssa being dead, just another absent woman to add to the pile. 

4 hours ago, Alyssa of House Arryn said:

The excerpt mentions that althought Laenor visited Hull, he rarely did so, whereas it was like a second home for Corlys. If anything, it reinforces the idea that Corlys was the dad, and many of Rhaenyra's court thought the same, but didn't say anything aloud. Btw, both boys had the Valyrian looks. Marilda grew up in the shipyards, and when her father died, she sold the yards and bought a cog. In the end, she commanded seven ships. I think that's why Corlys was attracted to her.

Oh, I know, I just like to keep things even. And who knows what drunken youths do when they play ;-).

I don't remember if it's already in TPatQ, but Mushroom tried to mount Silverwing and his pants caught fire.

That wasn't in TPatQ but it makes for a nice picture and may be a hint to another dwarf trying to mount a dragon...

6 hours ago, zionius said:

Saera smuggled cats into Daella's bedroom, filled Daella's night pot with bees, stole all the white cloaks she could find and colored them shining. At 13 she told the king that she was planning to marry the prince of Dorne, or perhaps the King of the Wall, so she could be queen like her mother. At 15 she turned her eyes: why the dreams of fiery monarchs, when she could have as many great armed men and knights as she wanted? After got caught in the whorehouse and questioned before her parents, she said, "I'd like to get married, why did not I? You were already married when you were my age. But with whom? Jonah and Roy both love me so I could take either of them, but they are the pure puppies. The Wasp does not love me, but he makes me smile, and sometimes he makes me scream. I could marry them all three, why not? Why are you just having a single husband? Aegon had two wives, and Maegor had six or eight." She had gone too far. Jaehaerys got up and stepped down from the Iron throne, face trembling with anger. "Do you compare yourself with Maegor? Is that what you aim for? Get her back to her sleep comfort," he commanded his guards. "And let her stay there until I send her a message."

From what my Danish tells me, this whole thing is rather botched in translation insofar as certain events and situations are concerned.

Morion is probably the greatest fool in Westerosi history.

I was afraid she'd be just another one who dies in childbed after she's given birth to her important kids (like Daena). I'm 100% certain we'll eventually learn that Daenaera Velaryon died giving birth to Elaena.

Hopefully not. There is no reason to kill her, too. She could be around during the reigns of her sons, joining her daughters in the Maidenvault, less her surpassing beauty not tempt her son and king.

Wait a minute, if Viserra died in 87, why did she want to marry Baelon and become queen when Baelon became heir in 92, five years after Viserra's death? In 87, Aemon was the heir!

That makes indeed little to less sense, unless Viserra Targaryen could see the future. But then - marrying Baelon would have gotten her closer to the throne than marrying some old Northman who could have been her grandfather.

@Ran Does the thing about Baelon/Viserra remain in the final text, is this some intentional glitch (Gyldayn with hindsight ascribing goals to Viserra she could not possibly have accomplished by marrying Baelon at the time), or is this just an error everybody overlooked?

1 hour ago, The hairy bear said:

I wonder about the relationship between Braxten Beesbury "the Wasp", and Lyman Beesbury (Jaehaerys' master of coin).

Lyman was a man of eighty when he was murdered in 129 AC, so he would have been around 34 in 83 AC (when Jaehaerys killed Braxten).

Saera's Beesbury fellow is the heir of Honeyholt back then. Brothers are mentioned, so this is a conundrum, considering Lyman would be older than Saera's guy. One could imagine Lyman to be an uncle who inherited Honeyholt after Saera's guy's brothers died of some other causes. The fact that Jaehaerys I made Lyman Beesbury part of his council indicates he did get along pretty well with the Beesburys in later years.

Come to think of it, if we want to imagine strangeness, Lyman could actually be the father of Saera's guy. If Viserys II can father his sons early, then other men could be doing that, too. Would be a more fun way to resolve this than the cadet branch thing.

1 hour ago, zionius said:

Spanish preview: https://lossietereinos.com/nuevo-fragmento-exclusivo-fuego-sangre/

Two ships sailed westwards from Old Town in search of a new continent. One returned three years later, with 9/10 crews turned to black or brown. And the other...you'll never guess where they found her :)

Yeah, George's Magellan is female. All hail the Great One! And good to know that Ran was right recently and Corlys Velaryon got as far as Asshai. If Marwyn got there, then the second greatest explorer of Westeros should have gotten there, too. Hopefully the thing about Corlys not getting to Asshai in TWoIaF will be corrected.

7 hours ago, Alyssa of House Arryn said:

Because at this point it was understood implicitly that Baelon was Aemon's successor, despite Aemon's daughter, and she was calculating that Aemon was unlikely to remarry. 

Archived