FIRE AND BLOOD EXCERPT

Moondancer

28 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Surely not the numbers though, right?

I won't be able to get it anytime soon and even if I could, I won't have time to read so I would surely appreciate if someone would give the numbers(and quotes) for the military thread.

As soon as the book is officially released, discussion is allowed as far as I am aware. I know that the spoiler period for the wiki lasts a month, so I assume that on the forum a one month spoiler period is the minimum. During that time, I guess that discussion is either held in spoiler brackets, or in topics that have stated in the title to be about material that can be considered a spoiler (like this for example: [SPOILERS]).

That has been the policy in the past, as far as I know.

9 minutes ago, zionius said:

The British version doesn't have an appendix listing all the characters. IIRC, Ran said the US version has that. 

Whoever compiled that would have done a great work. There are a lot of characters mentioned in that book.

Oh, and just jump into the Aegon reign stuff. You know the Conquest already, but TSotD and TDotD should be read with care, considering there is new stuff at many a place - especially in the Dance material - where you would simply not expect to be.

2 hours ago, zionius said:

The British version doesn't have an appendix listing all the characters. IIRC, Ran said the US version has that. 

Seems like the audiobook on amazon.com.au is still in pre-order status. Should be downloadable in a few hours.

Now I feel better. I've ordered American version, but I hate its cover so much, I really don't like this three-head thingy. British version's cover is so much better. But it's content that's what counts. 

Oh, finally, payment was processed.

4 minutes ago, DanaKz said:

Ugh... Amazon says my payment was declined, I've updated payment method and waiting for ours for shipping confirmation - nada.

I pre-ordered it in July!:frown5: 

Me in April. And they tried to pull that thing with the payment method with me, too, when I changed the address. I paid it with a giftcard then, that made it work. For the time being at least.

But go out and look for a copy in your local bookstores and cancel the order if they don't have it shipped in time. Or send it back.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Cheers, LV. Although the thought of an ASoIaF audiobook read by anyone other than Roy Dotrice is quite depressing to me. 

You can listen to this excerpt over at the Hollywood Reporter to get a taste of Simon Vance.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-george-rr-martins-fire-blood-book-excerpt-1160897

9 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

I'm just going to Strand tomorrow to pick up my copy because eff Amazon. 

I’ll take effin’ Amazon over iTunes any day of the week and twice on Sundays! :P

2 hours ago, zionius said:

Seems like the audiobook on amazon.com.au is still in pre-order status. Should be downloadable in a few hours.

My US version has no such appendix.

3 minutes ago, zionius said:

So it's not 736 pages, as stated by amazon.com? Only ~710 pages?

Last chapter ends on 706, followed by a short section (4 pages) on lineages and a Targaryen family tree, and lastly a one page "about the author" text. No index or appendix.

32 minutes ago, SFDanny said:

Last chapter ends on 706, followed by a short section (4 pages) on lineages and a Targaryen family tree, and lastly a one page "about the author" text. No index or appendix.

So the contents of the US/UK versions should be almost the same, good to learn that. 

I found two nontrivial changes in the Conquest section:

The king himself marched northeast, to the Gods Eye and Harrenhal, the gargantuan fortress that was the pride and obsession of King Harren the Black and which he had completed and occupied on the very day Aegon landed in what would one day become King’s Landing. -TWOIAF

The king himself marched northwest, to the Gods Eye and Harrenhal, the gargantuan fortress that was the pride and obsession of King Harren the Black. -FaB

Thrice Argilac the Arrogant led his knights against the Baratheon positions...and the third and final charge of the Storm King and his knights broke through the Baratheon center … only to come upon Queen Rhaenys and Meraxes. -TWOIAF

Thrice Argilac the Arrogant led his knights against the Baratheon positions...and the fourth and final charge of the Storm King and his knights broke through the Baratheon center … only to come upon Queen Rhaenys and Meraxes. -FaB

Two apparent errors are corrected. But I've no idea why the completion date of Harrenhal has to be changed.

Archived