FIRE AND BLOOD EXCERPT

Moondancer

10 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf said:

@Ran

I checked the SSM and in it GRRM says "divorce simply isn't common", not that it doesn't exist.

Source: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Asshai.com_Interview_in_Barcelona/

My recollection is that the interview was published in Spanish (Asshai.com was a Spanish language website) and re-translated to English, so don't focus too much on wording. See ASoS:

"Do I need to remind you that a marriage that has not been consummated can be set aside?"

"By the High Septon or a Council of Faith. Our present High Septon is a trained seal who barks prettily on command. Moon Boy is more like to annul my marriage than he is."

5 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf said:

If you say so. Given Valyria's Roman influences I wouldn't be surprised if the Freehold allowed it but in that case the Targs would have discarded divorce along with slavery when they first converted to the Faith of the Seven.

As I said above - it seems clear that a king doesn't have to go through a council of Faith or the High Septon or any official procedure to get rid of a wife. Else there would have been no chance that Robert could have rid himself of Cersei. She could out buy her bankrupt husband at any time, and she had given the king three healthy children he acknowledged as his seed. The marriage had been clearly consummated.

Valyria as a cosmopolitan place with many different religion and, most likely, a more civilized legal system, would have had an equivalent to civil marriage, one assumes, allowing people to marry and divorce at will. One also assumes that stuff like that exists in (some of) the Free Cities.

Westeros is the only place where one religion holds sway over marriage the way the Catholic Church did in the middle ages. At least in the Andal kingdoms.

Over all, one assumes the Targaryens first started to really adapt to Westerosi laws and customs after the Conquest (to the degree they did). Aegon and his sisters may have even actively tried to present themselves as married the way their subjects are - to sugarcoat the fact that they were his sisters and his wives.

4 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

The location of this second wedding thing has been magically changed from Dragonstone to KL. Make of that what you will.

Go read the previous page. I noted the change and explained why.

5 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

In all seriousness they probably married again after the First Quarrel.

Yep, this was my immediate thought on hearing of a second wedding. Something symbolic to demonstrate they were presenting a united front again.

18 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

If it's a divorce, then the implication is a very interesting one.

I think it's pretty simple. Either Alysanne became too presumptuous in her actions and ambitions. Having closed the Night Fort, gave the New Gift to the Watch, ban First Night, a woman's court, and who knows what else.

Or there is something more to do with Queen's Crown. 

Considering Jaehaerys supposedly later sent men to build the new castle at the Wall funded by the Queen's own jewels. He seems to be backing her plays. So im still going for Alysanne cheating at Queen's Crown. 

Infidelity would be grounds for an annulment. As far as a second wedding and why? I would imagine pressure from the Faith and the pressure of uniting the realm after Aenys and Maegor.

Imagine the Faith should let Jaehaerys and Alysanne separate. The realm descends into further chaos and the remainder of House Targaryen is extinguished. Sounds good, but what then?

Who should rule the Riverlands? Tully's? Blackwoods? Brackens? 

What about the Reach? Should House Tyrell who was installed by House Targaryen? Or does this all become undone. Almost like the problem once Caesar was killed. If he was a tyrant, his laws and decrees void, then his death was murder, and the murderers guilty of a crime.

Should you undo House Targaryen in this time, the realms would bleed. 

Reach, Riverlands, Iron Islands, and Storm Lands would descend into anarchy. As each's ruling Lord was installed by House Targaryen.

I should mention Jaehaerys denying Rhaenys the throne as a possible action taken by Jaehaerys against Alysanne for what ever happened in the North. 

Though, we don't know the time separation between the first and 2nd quarrel of which Rhaenys being passed over, was the cause of. This is rather late into their reign and i am assuming long after this 2nd marriage and reconciliation of the 1st quarrel.

Since the first quarrel was already settled with the end result being no annulment in sight. The only out come of a 2nd quarrel, is an estrangement. Imo

Though i am very curious about Jaehaerys and Essos. As while Alysanne is in the North, Jaehaerys is dealing with the Free Cities. With his son Aemon dying in battle off the step stones around 92AC.  

I wonder if these are separate matters through out all these years (The North and issue with Free Cities) , or if they over lapped at all any wheres. I can't really see how or why they would over lap though.

Also, you could indeed try to just install a new king from a different house as king of all of Westeros. Though i would think this would be equally problematic. Robert really got lucky that the Grey Joy rebellion was all he really had to deal with. Could House Baratheon have done it then? The River lords were still not that long freed from the Iron born and before that, the Storm Kings. I dont see any other house having a chance of becoming king of all of Westeros with out having to conquer Westeros, and with out the dragons, meh. 

Archived