FIRE AND BLOOD EXCERPT

Moondancer

13 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

From a dynastic viewpoint there also has to be an explanation why Jaehaerys I's male heir - be he Aegon or Aemon - ended up marrying Jocelyn Baratheon and not Aerea. Yes, there was a considerable age gap, but Aerea was of the elder line and her marrying anyone but Jaehaerys' heir could be a recipe for disaster later down the road. Even if Rhaena was fine with Jaehaerys on the throne - Aerea was a young girl and would not understand what was done to her in 48 AC - and any husband or sons she may have in the future could make use of her claim (and the sons could even claim dragons).

They must have known this. Jaehaerys and Alysanne and Alyssa lived through the age of Maegor, after all.

Is there any indication of what happened to the twins.  I know Aerea was taken by Rhaena when she fled and Lord Hightower refused to kill Rhaella/Rhalla(which is it?).  As you say they seem dangerous to just have floating around whatever they may feel and their mother, who's to say what their children might want or their husbands families if they marry who may want advancement of their own.  Seems dangerous to let them marry but equally being alive is enough of a problem considering what had just happened in the years before even if they're promised to the faith or something its not impossible for them to become figures for a rebellion to move around.  Especially as they represent the senior line following the Andal succession.

Also be interesting to see how Aerea was raised in the time she was with Maegor, can't have been a pleasant place to be.  Wouldn't surprise me this gets resolved by them being dead young and maybe that's why Rhaena gets to go and have her quiet life with her Farman love.  Could Elissa Farman be her's does that work within the timeline?

We don't have any info about Aerea or Rhaella after Jaehaerys gained the throne.

There's the theory that Rhaella ended marrying into house Hightower, which would be compatible with the other theory suggesting that Hightowers have Targaryen features (aged Jaehaerys confused Alicent with his daughter Saera, and Alerie is described as silver-haired).

In any case, both sisters can be assumed to among the nine lesser claimants that were considered in the Great Council of 101 (they would be 59 at the time) . If they didn't die at childbirth, which seems to be a common feature among the Targaryen women of the era. <_<

On 11/9/2018 at 9:08 AM, Jaak said:

In 58:

Alysanne was 22

Jaehaerys was 24

Rhaena was 34

Aerea and Rhalla were 15

How old was Alysanne´s eldest child?

So far i've found that Alyssa (5th born) was born in 60 Ac. So Aegon, Daenerys, Aemon and possibly Baelon was born by 58 Ac. Alysanne would have been 16 by 52AC allowing 6 years for those 4 children to be born. 

Edit- Still unsure if this is when Jaehaerys actually brought half his court and 6 dragons though. Unless Aegon and Daenerys were riding that young

A Storm of Swords - Jon V

Across the lake, the tower was black again, a dim shape dimly seen. "A queen lived there?" asked Ygritte.
"A queen stayed there for a night." Old Nan had told him the story, but Maester Luwin had confirmed most of it. "Alysanne, the wife of King Jaehaerys the Conciliator. He's called the Old King because he reigned so long, but he was young when he first came to the Iron Throne. In those days, it was his wont to travel all over the realm. When he came to Winterfell, he brought his queen, six dragons, and half his court. The king had matters to discuss with his Warden of the North, and Alysanne grew bored, so she mounted her dragon Silverwing and flew north to see the Wall. This village was one of the places where she stopped. Afterward the smallfolk painted the top of their holdfast to look like the golden crown she'd worn when she spent the night among them."

Assuming Jon is right about any of this and it doesn't all get changed.

A harsh winter is mentioned between 59-60ac with mention of Alleric dealing with rations and people leaving home. Not sure if and when Jaehaerys actually shows up with those 6 dragons assuming they are all actually being ridden. Aegon would have been 6 roughly at the oldest, and im not sure thats a ride-able age for Targs and their dragons or not. Id imagine the dragon would grow much faster than the child would.  

Dragons of Jaehaerys's children: Caraxes, Vhagar (to Aemon & Baelon), Meleys (Alyssa, who refused Balerion because she wanted a swifter dragon)

6 hours ago, naseridrl said:

Is there any indication of what happened to the twins. 

There will be, presumably, on Tuesday. Right now we have none.

I know Aerea was taken by Rhaena when she fled and Lord Hightower refused to kill Rhaella/Rhalla(which is it?).

It is Rhaella.

19 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

They are already selling the thing?

In a local bookstore here in San Francisco, yes. I won't say the name because it might get them in trouble for selling before the 20th. I've just started it, so I haven't gotten very far.

2 minutes ago, SFDanny said:

In a local bookstore here in San Francisco, yes. I won't say the name because it might get them in trouble for selling before the 20th. I've just started it, so I haven't gotten very far.

Well, I'd send my brother to pick it up, but he is in Pittsburgh right now ;-).

My copy from Amazon UK was dispatched yesterday and arriving apparently today (19th). Just finishing Tombland, the latest Shardlake doorstopper..so timing is excellent.

As a writer of 'real' medieval history I'm looking forward to GRRM's fake stuff. Never as crazy as the real thing however, even with the dragons. ;)

11 hours ago, SFDanny said:

This has happened quite often for me in the UK with other books. Joe Abercrombie’s shattered sea trilogy for example, every instalment was stocked in Waterstones several days before the official release. Never found out why, maybe a distribution thing.

4 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

This has happened quite often for me in the UK with other books. Joe Abercrombie’s shattered sea trilogy for example, every instalment was stocked in Waterstones several days before the official release. Never found out why, maybe a distribution thing.

I can't complain. I woke up at 3:00 in the morning and now trying to complete another chapter before going to sleep!

My two volumes are supposed to arrive next week and in early December! I'll check if some local book stores will have an English copy tomorrow. Chances should be pretty good.

How do we do the spoiler thing in here? Do we use spoiler markings in brackets like we would with a proper novel? Or do we assume anyone reading/writing in here has read the book/wants information?

I'd say it would be pretty good to have a bunch of threads for the various eras - one on Aegon I, one on his sons, one on Jaehaerys/Alysanne, one on the Dance, and another one on the Regency era.

Discussing certain details is likely going to have to wait until people have read the book. Which is actually pretty big.

10 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Discussing certain details is likely going to have to wait until people have read the book. Which is actually pretty big.

Surely not the numbers though, right?

I won't be able to get it anytime soon and even if I could, I won't have time to read so I would surely appreciate if someone would give the numbers(and quotes) for the military thread.

14 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Surely not the numbers though, right?

I'll make a thread on military matters and population stuff in FaB in this forum, and then we can use that one to discuss the historical development and finally, perhaps, come to a conclusion how this helps with the numbers in the main series.

14 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

I won't be able to get it anytime soon and even if I could, I won't have time to read so I would surely appreciate if someone would give the numbers(and quotes) for the military thread.

You won't like the numbers all that much, I'm afraid. At times different sources give different numbers on the same battles/campaigns. Which also badly reflects on our guys in the novels - different guys get to different estimates watching the same armies.

Can't you buy/order an English copy where you live?

4 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

I can but would rather not as the postal service is not the most reliable one, even with tracking numbers and I doubt I'll see it in  bookstores anytime soon.

Oh, okay, that's not all that pleasant. An ebook, perhaps?

Archived