Jump to content
Angel Eyes

Why didn't Littlefinger try the Bronn approach in dueling?

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, TheMiddleHero said:

Sorry if I am reviving a thread that should die (though I do love joining in a discussion where people doggedly fight against the obvious answer,) but the answer is fairly simple. Peter was incapable of doing so. His opponent was faster, stronger, more experienced, more skilled, more physically capable. End of story.

 

Watch an Average Joe try to hit a major league pitcher, or an Average Joe try to stop a pro soccer player from scoring, or an Average Joe try to tackle an NFL running back and you have your answer. Quite simply he lacked the physical ability to do so.

Watch Connor McGregor get his ass beat last week , does that mean he had no skills or did he just run up against a better fighter ? And there is no doubt that Brandon was more experienced , bigger , faster etc then Petyr but does that mean Petyr was an untrained fighter? 99% of the men in Westeros would have had no chance against Brandon if he is as good as we are led to believe so just because Petyr lost badly to him shows us very little about Petyr skills .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Blackfish Tully said:

Watch Connor McGregor get his ass beat last week , does that mean he had no skills or did he just run up against a better fighter ? And there is no doubt that Brandon was more experienced , bigger , faster etc then Petyr but does that mean Petyr was an untrained fighter? 99% of the men in Westeros would have had no chance against Brandon if he is as good as we are led to believe so just because Petyr lost badly to him shows us very little about Petyr skills .  

No, it doesn't mean Petyr was untrained, but that is not the point of the thread. Read the thread title.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TheMiddleHero said:

No, it doesn't mean Petyr was untrained, but that is not the point of the thread. Read the thread title.

I understand that’s not the  point of the thread ( these discussion often go on tangents that are far from the thread title) but the thread has gone to a place where we are questioning if Petyr had any sword training at all and my responses from the beginning have always been in reference to the posters who claim that Petyr has no skills and/or training in swordsmanship and their argument usually centers around Petyr’s lack  of success against Brandon . I have never stated whether or not Petyr was any good at sword fighting ( we really have no proof either way ) but I do believe that as the son of a Vale Lord and the ward of Riverrun he would have trained for years with Riverrun’s Master of Arms and would at the least be a competent swordsman and in underestimating Brandon would hope that he has a puncher’s chance to beat him .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Blackfish Tully said:

I understand that’s not the  point of the thread ( these discussion often go on tangents that are far from the thread title) but the thread has gone to a place where we are questioning if Petyr had any sword training at all and my responses from the beginning have always been in reference to the posters who claim that Petyr has no skills and/or training in swordsmanship and their argument usually centers around Petyr’s lack  of success against Brandon . I have never stated whether or not Petyr was any good at sword fighting ( we really have no proof either way ) but I do believe that as the son of a Vale Lord and the ward of Riverrun he would have trained for years with Riverrun’s Master of Arms and would at the least be a competent swordsman and in underestimating Brandon would hope that he has a puncher’s chance to beat him .

Yet, you are debating points I never made.  Here's a simple way to settle it. Go train MMA for a while, hell, give it a few years. Go fight Conner McGregor.  See how it works out and you have your answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blackfish Tully said:

I understand that’s not the  point of the thread ( these discussion often go on tangents that are far from the thread title) but the thread has gone to a place where we are questioning if Petyr had any sword training at all and my responses from the beginning have always been in reference to the posters who claim that Petyr has no skills and/or training in swordsmanship and their argument usually centers around Petyr’s lack  of success against Brandon . I have never stated whether or not Petyr was any good at sword fighting ( we really have no proof either way ) but I do believe that as the son of a Vale Lord and the ward of Riverrun he would have trained for years with Riverrun’s Master of Arms and would at the least be a competent swordsman and in underestimating Brandon would hope that he has a puncher’s chance to beat him .

I have to say I agree with you-it seems really unlikely Hoster would not have LF training such a thiHoster’s  dear friend(LF’s father) would hope Hoster would turn LF into a proper lord and man-if Petyr is allowed to waste all his tome  playing  with girls and being sassy, I would think he’d see at as a disservice to his friend. And if he hadn’t been it’d a major  reason to mock him and make note of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheMiddleHero said:

Yet, you are debating points I never made.  Here's a simple way to settle it. Go train MMA for a while, hell, give it a few years. Go fight Conner McGregor.  See how it works out and you have your answer.

what answer is that ? i could have trained every day for the last 10 years and still get knocked out by Conner Mcgregor in the first minute or I could just train for a couple of months and also  get knocked out in the first minute . Same result but totally different amount of training . The point being that the fact that Petyr got his ass handed to him by Brandon shows us nothing on how well trained Petyr is .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Blackfish Tully said:

what answer is that ? i could have trained every day for the last 10 years and still get knocked out by Conner Mcgregor in the first minute or I could just train for a couple of months and also  get knocked out in the first minute . Same result but totally different amount of training . The point being that the fact that Petyr got his ass handed to him by Brandon shows us nothing on how well trained Petyr is .

OK..........does it matter how much LF was trained? He was unable to pull off the Bronn tactic because he lacked the ability.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×