US Politics: Judge Dread

DMC

15 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Exactly.  All he needs to do is get Collins or Murkowski (preferably both) on board with saying "We can't vote yes until there's a proper investigation", and then signal to Republicans that if they want Kavanaugh, they need to clear his name, but if they want to withdraw him, he'll happily vote for a non-predator conservative.  And voila!  Flake's moral quandary is lifted.  Sure, Trump et al would hate it, but who cares, Flake isn't running for reelection, and by all accounts he hates Trump personally. 

It's not like this would compromise his principles, he'd still get his conservative Supreme Court.  Unless Flake is worried about the Republican Doomsday where somehow the Democrats delay the vote until January and retake the Senate (this is still almost vanishingly unlikely).  But maybe that's it.  Maybe he's worried about that and is willing to seat a probable sexual predator on the court just to protect all those "unborn babies".  If so, I ought to revise my opinion of him down even further, and it's already pretty damn low. 

That’s exactly what he’s afraid of. I’ve heard several experts say now that they predict turnout will be down among Republicans if there’s an empty seat on the Supreme Court on Election Day. And if that happens, and Democrats retake the Senate, they can threaten to not consider any nominee for any position that requires a Senate confirmation if Republicans seat someone during the lame duck session.

On a side note, has Heller said he is a yes? I saw some polling data the other day that indicates that it would hurt his reelection chances if he votes to confirm Kavanaugh.

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Why is it surprising that Catholics come from both sides of the political spectrum? The Catholic Register used to be quite liberal after Vatican Two, decades ago, but control of the paper moved into more conservative hands over the years. They do demand investigations into charges against priests and they have attacked Pope Francis on the topic. It is funny to me that 30 year old complaints against priests are accepted but not 30 year old complaints by women against men in power.

On the other hand, American Magazine, also an influential Catholic publication, owned by the Jesuits, called for the immediate withdrawal of Kavanaugh’s nomination yesterday.

Conservative American Catholics are just like other conservative Americans.

Garbage? I know.

3 minutes ago, Mexal said:

McConnell has control over this, not Flake or Grassley but if Flake is doing this with Collins and Murkowski, Republicans don't have the votes yet.

The WH can also just say no, they’re not authorizing the FBI to investigate Ford’s claims.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

McConnell has control over this, not Flake or Grassley but if Flake is doing this with Collins and Murkowski, Republicans don't have the votes yet.

It is up to Trump in the end, McConnel can decide to pass the reccomendation along. 

4 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Sure, they can and Flake/Collins/Murkowski can vote no and kill it.

Assuming Flake isn't just talk.  Which I'm not ready to do yet.  There's a very real chance he's bluffing, wants the FBI investigation but isn't willing to actually vote no.  That seems like the most Jeff Flake course of action at this point. 

Just now, Maithanet said:

Assuming Flake isn't just talk.  Which I'm not ready to do yet.  There's a very real chance he's bluffing, wants the FBI investigation but isn't willing to actually vote no.  That seems like the most Jeff Flake course of action at this point. 

Agreed. That's very much within Flake's wheelhouse. End of the day, Trump has to agree so we'll see.

Has this asshole really proven himself worth this much trouble to them? Even setting aside the actual sexual assault, he is a perjurer and he lied multiple times yesterday, old high school chums have said as much after the hearing, I doubt that will fit the scope of any investigation.

7 minutes ago, Mexal said:

That's very much within Flake's wheelhouse

Ya.  Flake's vote is probably irrelevant due to a Collins/Murkowski bloc.  He either just wants to save face by seeming undecided, or he'd like permission to vote with them.  Calling for the FBI investigation buys time.  

Archived