Bran could have been used a better way.

Angel Eyes

I must criticize the handling of Bran in Season 7. He's supposed to know everything, and could have told

• Sansa and Arya about Jon's parentage when he got back to Winterfell, 
  • How Littlefinger screwed Ned over
  • Not been a dick to Meera
  • How to beat the White Walkers
  • Figured how to warg a wight

But nooo, he has to tell Sansa how nice she looks the night she was wedded and raped. 

I saw the Bran Sansa scene differently. Bran was trying to explain to her what it means to be the three eyed raven and why he couldn't be the lord of WF. By telling Sansa about how she looked on the day she got married, Bran was proving to her he can indeed see things happening far away.

And he said he was sorry about what happened to her in their home. I think that showed that Bran was still capable of feeling emotions. He was expressing how sad he was to see the contrast between her looking beautiful that day and what happened to her next.

A part of me thinks they have no idea what to do with Bran and for some reason, went with him being this "robot" that doesn't always make sense. Some of his lines that people get upset with, are not THAT bad, but it's just the way they are delivered that makes no sense. 

I really, really hope he is more than just an exposition device for the show. That would be awful if that's what his character came to.

• 1 month later...

It is difficult to have an all-powerful or all-seeing character.  After all look at Superman, during WW2 he could have wiped out the Nazis and been home for lunch.  So Bran has to become "detached" or the plot is done in an hour.  The overall explanation is that a God or Godlike creature has bigger and different fish to fry.

On 10/1/2018 at 4:54 PM, btfu806 said:

A part of me thinks they have no idea what to do with Bran and for some reason, went with him being this "robot" that doesn't always make sense. Some of his lines that people get upset with, are not THAT bad, but it's just the way they are delivered that makes no sense. 

I really, really hope he is more than just an exposition device for the show. That would be awful if that's what his character came to.

Let's hope so.

On 9/28/2018 at 6:24 PM, Angel Eyes said:

I must criticize the handling of Bran in Season 7. He's supposed to know everything, and could have told

But nooo, he has to tell Sansa how nice she looks the night she was wedded and raped. 

Because they are horrible writers. What they did with Bran is pure horseshit.

Not to mention that this doesn't even make sense with how a 3ER should behave (oh wait! we saw an emotionally normal behaving 3ER before!!).

Where is the drama if one of the main Starks has no emotions (or barely) anymore? Why should we care about him if something happens?

So...most likely is that everything we saw was for shock. S8 shock if anything changes.

14 hours ago, Byfort of Corfe said:

It is difficult to have an all-powerful or all-seeing character.  After all look at Superman, during WW2 he could have wiped out the Nazis and been home for lunch.  So Bran has to become "detached" or the plot is done in an hour.  The overall explanation is that a God or Godlike creature has bigger and different fish to fry.

Pretty much this. That is the Doyalist explanation. 

• 1 month later...

It does seem like a pretty stupid choice. Bloodraven didn't seem emotionless. My best guess would be that since Bran was so young, maybe he just couldn't take all that knowledge without loosing himself. Or maybe it's a side affect of all that knowledge being given to him all at once. 

He's not Neo, this isn't The Matrix, and all the knowledge from the known universe wasn't instantly downloaded into his brain from Deep Thought.

Brain is still learning, otherwise he'd be able to tell humanity how to survive and we would have a season 8, or likely so many books.

I don't see him as emotion-free.

He told Sansa something only she and Theon knows at this point to prove he wasn't insane. 

What are you going to do when GRRM gets to the same ending as the show?

• 5 weeks later...

The show made it clear that Bran has to learn to use his abilties.

Bran does not know everything, but he can zoom into any past event. Only when Sam tells Bran about the marriage, Bran ist able to zoom into the event and confirm it. It's like having an encylopaedia at hand, but having to find the suitable word to look up.

Bran has some emotions left, but the new powers overwhelm him. He is not anymore Bran, the brother, son, cousin, he is Bran the three-eyed raven. Familiar not only with his family but with everyone. Bran has a burden to carry and lost part of his humanness.

On 9/28/2018 at 5:24 PM, Angel Eyes said:

No he isn't.  He can only know what he sees in his visions.  He isn't omnipotent and doesn't automatically know everything.  Point in case being he didn't know Jon was legitimate.

6 hours ago, Ser Gareth said:

No he isn't.  He can only know what he sees in his visions.  He isn't omnipotent and doesn't automatically know everything.  Point in case being he didn't know Jon was legitimate.

Absolutely, that certainly seemed obvious to me. A case of "bad reading"/"bad viewing" rather than "bad writing", methinks. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think the problems with bran's storyline started a long time ago.  The show used up his book material way faster than any other character to the point they sat him out of season 5.  Then they hit fast forward hard in season 6 to the point they had to slow down his plot development again in season 7.  It will be interesting to see how the Jon bran reunion goes and how the conversation will set up season 8.   Winter is coming.

Archived