Why was LF a ward of the Tullys?

Varysblackfyre321

3 minutes ago, hodorisfaclessman said:

His dad befriended hoster in the ninepennykings wars if i recall

So he did. Thanks for the answer. Still it’s odd Tully(a man who nearly killed his own daughter to spare his family embarrassment), would give a privilege that would/should be offered to a house of great rank no? I’m sorry minor quibble you’ve already answered my question and thus I’m finished with this thread.

Just now, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Still it’s odd Tully(a man who nearly killed his own daughter to spare his family embarrassment), would give a privilege that would/should be offered to a house of great rank no?

The relative cost of being nice to his friend Ser Baelish by warding his son was very low.

Letting his second daughter birth a bastard to the son of one of the poorest knights in the Vale on the other hand...

7 minutes ago, Ylath's Snout said:

The relative cost of being nice to his friend Ser Baelish by warding his son was very low.

Letting his second daughter birth a bastard to the son of one of the poorest knights in the Vale on the other hand...

Fair. That was a foolish question I asked. LF’s warship It could possibly  at worst be viewed as purely an act of charity. I would ask why Hoster did not take on more wards of proper rank as well but I think I can guess the response being because Martin wrote it that way(undoubtedly true). So now I’m done with this thread. 

1 minute ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

That was a foolish question I asked.

IMHO asking a question you legit want an answer to is just fine IMHO, "foolish" or otherwise. Trying to piss people off by posting intentionally offensive worded or formulating the question to blatantly favor your own assumptions is much worse than asking a "obvious" question. Clearly you wanted a answer at least.

54 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I would ask why Hoster did not take on more wards of proper rank as well

Well, that seems to have been part of Hosters personality. The marriages he fixed for his daughters and his disdain for the Freys makes me think that he more than any other Lord Paramount of his time aside from Tywin had ambitions outside his own realm.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

but I think I can guess the response being because Martin wrote it that way(undoubtedly true).

Sometimes that is true but I feel like it can just shut down any and all decisions if it dumped into the conversation out of the gate.

4 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It seems such a privilege should be reserved for one one from a house of much higher rank than House Baelish.

3 hours ago, hodorisfaclessman said:

His dad befriended hoster in the ninepennykings wars if i recall

This.  Personal favor.  

6 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

So he did. Thanks for the answer. Still it’s odd Tully(a man who nearly killed his own daughter to spare his family embarrassment), would give a privilege that would/should be offered to a house of great rank no? I’m sorry minor quibble you’ve already answered my question and thus I’m finished with this thread.

Well hosting wards is pretty normal and sometimes its not all political a great lord can do it as a mark of genuine friendship

Also bear in mind hoster hasnt the same pressure as lesser lords to forge alliances for security etc ,hes got an unmarried son  and  has his 2 daughters  married  to 2 of the other 7 regions leaders , his son in law is the kings bestie and the king owes his crown to him!

7 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Fair. That was a foolish question I asked. LF’s warship It could possibly  at worst be viewed as purely an act of charity. I would ask why Hoster did not take on more wards of proper rank as well but I think I can guess the response being because Martin wrote it that way(undoubtedly true). So now I’m done with this thread. 

I’d ask the same thing of Ned, about why he didn’t have more wards at Winterfell.

27 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

I’d ask the same thing of Ned, about why he didn’t have more wards at Winterfell.

Isn't there a quote about how GRRM admits that the lack of wards in Winterfell is a screw-up on his part?

As for in-universe: Maybe he felt that he couldn't ask for wards if he was unwilling to send his own children away. It is a common interpretation that he is very unwilling to let go of his children.

17 minutes ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Isn't there a quote about how GRRM admits that the lack of wards in Winterfell is a screw-up on his part?

As for in-universe: Maybe he felt that he couldn't ask for wards if he was unwilling to send his own children away. It is a common interpretation that he is very unwilling to let go of his children.

At least he wouldn't poison someone because they wanted to foster his children elsewhere (read: Lysa). Robb definitely should have been fostered or even betrothed (Brandon was betrothed at 14), but Bran and Rickon get a pass because they were probably too young. For all we know, Bran might have been on the list for fostering, since Ned was a little older than Bran when he started his fostering with Jon Arryn. Or was Bran going to foster with someone when he was supposed to be going south with Ned?...

In a way there’s a certain logic to fostering a child of relative low status than of higher one.

While fostering a child of a powerful lord may bring your house closer to theirs (r.e. Arryn fostering Robert and Ned), it may not do, as they will have their own interests and obligations that override such concerns.

Fostering the child of a low ranking lord could much more likely have the effect of making that lord, and his child, feel obligated to you for life. If things had happened differently, Hoster could have ended up with an extremely talented and loyal servant in Littlefinger, whom he raised from a tiny sheepshit speckled spit of land into the household of one of the most powerful lords in the 7K.

Archived