Video Games: Shadow of the Rise of the Live Madden War III- HD Remaster

Fez

8 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Enjoying the new Tactical missions for XCOM2. They're huge: 4 campaigns, 7 missions per campaign, for a 28-mission, narrative-based campaign, including maps repurposed from Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within. Quite a lot of content for free.

Nope. Slingshot was the storyline about destroying an alien mid-range command ship over China. It crashed and was destroyed. In retrospect XCOM hiding it and it turning out to be the Avenger would have been cool though.

And then you can start the War of the Chosen campaign, and get all the goodies you receive from completing these missions. Though I think it's funny how you advance through these missions and get advanced gear, but then you start your main campaign with the basic. Like, what did Bradfort and Shen do with all that stuff?

2 hours ago, Week said:

Playing through the Witcher 3 -- goddamn this game is huge ... too many hours spent galloping/yachting towards "?"s -- when should I buy/install Expansion packs? After completing the game or prior to leaving Skellige? I should say that I'm in the midst of questing in Skellige at level 24 or so.

I mean, you can buy it whenever, but I wouldn't recommend actually playing either of the expansions until you finish the base game.  This is less important for Hearts of Stone, though, as it's more or less just a standalone story.  However, Blood & Wine is basically the end of the entire Geralt Witcher trilogy, so definitely save that for last.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

I mean, you can buy it whenever, but I wouldn't recommend actually playing either of the expansions until you finish the base game.  This is less important for Hearts of Stone, though, as it's more or less just a standalone story.  However, Blood & Wine is basically the end of the entire Geralt Witcher trilogy, so definitely save that for last.

Perfect -- thanks @briantw!!

1 hour ago, Week said:

Perfect -- thanks @briantw!!

Worth noting that Hearts of Stone adds some new armor and related features, so you may want to go ahead and install that so you can get a jump on crafting some of it.  Blood & Wine adds some new stuff too, but since it's all on the new map you go to you won't see it until you go there anyway, whereas most of the Hearts of Stone stuff takes place on unused areas of the Novigrad map.

Hearts of Stone is also only like 6-7 hours long and is quite funny. I played it when I was about two-thirds of the way through the main quest (I think just before I went to Skellige) and it worked really well there. You do want to be around Level 25 at least before tackling it though.

Blood and Wine is massive, more like 20-25 hours with a very impressively sized new map. I did it after wrapping up the main story in Witcher 3 and agree it works better as a coda to the whole series. Playing it halfway through playing the main quest would be really weird.

16 hours ago, Week said:

Playing through the Witcher 3 -- goddamn this game is huge ... too many hours spent galloping/yachting towards "?"s -- when should I buy/install Expansion packs? After completing the game or prior to leaving Skellige? I should say that I'm in the midst of questing in Skellige at level 24 or so.

If you want my advice, skip any sea-based question marks. There's too many of them, the loot is not that good, and sailing quickly becomes very tedious, with sirens attacking you every two minutes. Land-based question marks can be a good excuse for galloping through a beautiful scenery, so you can do them if you want, but sailing is the weakest part of the game.

6 hours ago, Gorn said:

If you want my advice, skip any sea-based question marks. There's too many of them, the loot is not that good, and sailing quickly becomes very tedious, with sirens attacking you every two minutes. Land-based question marks can be a good excuse for galloping through a beautiful scenery, so you can do them if you want, but sailing is the weakest part of the game.

Thank god -- I did quite a few at first in the Kaer Trolde and north of there and, as you said, it gets tedious REAL fast. I already have all Superior Oils -- so I typically find fewer and fewer useful treasures at unknown locations.

Last night I came across the Capcom Beat Em Up Bundle for the Switch.  Final Fight.  Knights of the Round.  King of Dragons.  Three other games I don't recall off the top of my head.

I'm pumped.  Later today, I'm going to get the Joy Cons going and my son and I will beat up some drug dealing scum and rescue Mayor Haggar's daughter!

I beat Spider-Man the other day. It was pretty good but got very repetitive and grindy at times. It also had some really annoying sneak missions to push the story along(I guess).

I’m onto the newest God of War and hope to finish before Red Dead comes out and dominates my time. It’s good but I feel like I spend most of my time looking up and around making sure I don’t miss anything. I kinda wish there was more fighting. It’s still early though.

Also gonna be the first time in a while that I don’t play the newest Battlefield the day of release. 

Excerpt of Federation President Lore's speech to announce the formation of the Delta Expedition, 5th August, 2339:

"It was not long ago that I was found by a Federation ship. An abandoned child, cast away and left to die. But unlike this father who turned his back on me, the people who found me gave me a home. They gave me choices. And ultimately a desire to lead this illustrious organization that I had joined. Soon even me, an outsider as unique as it can be, was entrusted with the handling of a colony. And before long, even the Federation itself. Just as I now have the trust of all of you to guide you, the Federation is trusted to be a bulwark of freedom and individuality. Values that are violently opposed by the enemy we are facing today. An enemy who will not relent before it has assimilated the entire galaxy and all life within it. Be it organic... or positronic like myself.

We have watched with horror as they overran the Delta Quadrant, unable to oppose them. Similarly we watched in horror as they pushed our Lydian associates to the brink of destruction. But not anymore! Today is the day we bring the fight to them! Today is the day the Federation will take back what they have robbed the galaxy off! Today is the day of the Delta Expedition!"

So I did it... I actually declared war on the Borg: http://fs1.directupload.net/images/181021/xgat8m5m.jpg

With the purification wargoal. It's do or die!

This is the state of the galaxy by the time of my invasion, with the Federation coalition being blue: http://fs1.directupload.net/images/181021/qjms6lbr.jpg

This is the Delta Expedition: http://fs1.directupload.net/images/181021/7ouegs5g.jpg

As you can see, I was throwing everything and the kitchen sink at the Borg. All the ships I could scrounge together with only about three more fleets guarding my other frontiers. And still... because I was too scared of spreading out my fleets, even taking back the Lydian territory took ages. Also much to my frustration, the Lydians cut off all ties and joined a different coalition after I took a couple of systems, simply because they now get claims on me that make their relationship with me take a nosedive. That's... actually a fairly frustrating mechanic.

In any case, since the Borg fleets were last seen at the opposite end of their territory, beating up the Kazon, I had some time. At least until they finally came to engage me: http://fs1.directupload.net/images/181021/kqtxzxad.jpg

Luckily not all at once. So my doomstack made short work of these scouts: http://fs1.directupload.net/images/181021/ta66my5b.jpg

Unfortunately, others were not as fortunate. I had a couple more ships following my main expedition with the intention of replenishing losses. And then got the brilliant idea to let these ships bomb the assimilated planet of Sosta III while the main expedition continued liberating other systems. Of course a Borg fleet jumped immediately on top them and by the time the expedition came back, they could only watch the destruction of the USS Columbus: http://fs1.directupload.net/images/181021/hbieygwa.jpg

Interestingly, so far this is my only loss. Not because the Borg are weak (even their ordinary stations have cutting beams that ignore shields and cause a ton of damage on the hull armor, forcing me to regularly take stops for repairs), but because I actually exploited the Sosta III situation. I noticed that in order to engage with my back-up fleet, the Borg had to pass a system directly in front of it that I had already liberated... so I continued the bombarding while parking the Delta Expedition in that very system. And indeed, the Borg came! One fleet at a time, so that they could get hammered by my doomstack without taking any losses! Not even my remaining NX-classes or the fragile Defiants!

19 years later I finally reached the Delta quadrant. God damn it! Took me long enough: http://fs1.directupload.net/images/181021/xw23orkt.jpg

Though there is one thing that bugs me. As you can see above, the Lurians also managed to arrive and take some systems. Which is not an issue, they are my vassals and I will take these systems sooner or later by integrating them. But there is also a single Deltan cruiser that somehow managed to take a couple of Borg systems... for the Dhei sector! For the still technically independant Deltan homeworld. That can't do anything anymore. This is slightly frustrating, because it means that these sectors are practically lost forever. I just hope that the Borg can regain them... and the chances are high, given that I have seen a Borg fleet approach the Delta Expediation only to go "Nope" and hurry back for easier targets. Among them the Deltans.

And as you can see, I'm now slowly approaching the Borg 'homeworld' of unicomplex 01, which is a giant fortified space station: http://fs1.directupload.net/images/181021/npmdx7dx.jpg

This will be a tough nut to crack.

In any case... Yes, the Federation is overpowered as hell. But I'm also seeing that the Borg get a lot of boni granted that the normal factions don't get. So it seems that the entire game is built around the premise that it will end in a big 'war in heaven'-like brawl between these factions.

At least until somehow the real endgame crisis popped up and started to wreak havoc: http://fs1.directupload.net/images/181021/gx5ylbbg.jpg

Shit! I really hadn't expected a mirror universe invasion! Now?!? While I'm in the middle of fighting the Borg?!? The hell?!? At least for now they focus on the poor Klingons that had such a good run so far. But given that they are equivalent to the Federation in terms of firepower... it seems that I'm the only one able to stop them. Again.

Well, I will attack Unicomplex 01 and see what happens. If the Klingon-Cardassian Alliances dares to challenge me, I might have to white peace out my Borg invasion. If that is possible, that is.

14 hours ago, Toth said:

Excerpt of Federation President Lore's speech to announce the formation of the Delta Expedition, 5th August, 2339:

"It was not long ago that I was found by a Federation ship. An abandoned child, cast away and left to die. But unlike this father who turned his back on me, the people who found me gave me a home. They gave me choices. And ultimately a desire to lead this illustrious organization that I had joined. Soon even me, an outsider as unique as it can be, was entrusted with the handling of a colony. And before long, even the Federation itself. Just as I now have the trust of all of you to guide you, the Federation is trusted to be a bulwark of freedom and individuality. Values that are violently opposed by the enemy we are facing today. An enemy who will not relent before it has assimilated the entire galaxy and all life within it. Be it organic... or positronic like myself.

We have watched with horror as they overran the Delta Quadrant, unable to oppose them. Similarly we watched in horror as they pushed our Lydian associates to the brink of destruction. But not anymore! Today is the day we bring the fight to them! Today is the day the Federation will take back what they have robbed the galaxy off! Today is the day of the Delta Expedition!"

So I did it... I actually declared war on the Borg: http://fs1.directupload.net/images/181021/xgat8m5m.jpg

With the purification wargoal. It's do or die!

:lmao:What a sense of humour, xd

And...genocidal assimilators?:mellow:

Btw, the names on the right are really interesting and basically confirm that a certain surname of Basque origin will still be in use in the future. Wow.:rofl:

Rimworld officially came out this week. It's been in early access for years, one of my favorite games of all time. @Toth you'd probably like it if you have time to try it. It's kinda like a less intimidating Dwarf Fortress.  You crash on a planet and have to build up a colony. It has the same kinda emergent stories like you tell about Stellaris. Like one time everything was going great until two wild cats joined my colony and started breeding. I didn't pay attention to their population and months later realized they had gotten into my freezer and eaten just about all my food. I had over 20 colonists and it was the dead of winter so no crops. They all died :(

Played a bit of Dark Souls on the Switch and the port is..... ok.  Some of the hitboxes have been like WTF, and the netcode is not great.  Sticking to co-op for now until I can finish by SL120 forest gank destroyer build.  Going with a Dex build, uchi character with maxed out pyro, then change over to Int/Fth for some dark magic and Wrath of God.  They've probably patched a lot since I last played, but I used to love this build back in the day.

Playing XCOM 2: War of the Chosen with the 2018 cover version of the 1993 original game's soundtrack is...a bit weird, but also hilarious. It changes the mood of the game completely, but it fits in with WotC's most mustache-twirling, colourful aesthetic. Well worth a go (although I haven't checked if you can change the soundtrack mid-game, because it is a bit more repetitive than the original).

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Playing XCOM 2: War of the Chosen with the 2018 cover version of the 1993 original game's soundtrack is...a bit weird, but also hilarious. It changes the mood of the game completely, but it fits in with WotC's most mustache-twirling, colourful aesthetic. Well worth a go (although I haven't checked if you can change the soundtrack mid-game, because it is a bit more repetitive than the original).

Yes, you can change the soundtrack. I'm playing with the Enemy Unknown soundtrack.

I'm now 40 hours in to Assassin's Creed Odyssey and have seen maybe a quarter of the map, this game is exhaustingly massive. I've had a lot of fun with the game, but if Ubisoft wants the next AC to be a truly classic open world RPG, the writing needs to step up another notch. What's here is often fun, and there are individual really good moments, but the sum is a fairly basic, very drawn out storyline (so far at least). 

Also, the game desperately needs some more ways to interact with it beyond combat and stealth (and dialog choices). Not survival game-style crafting, please not that. But some minigames would really add some more variety to things.

Archived