Video Games: Shadow of the Rise of the Live Madden War III- HD Remaster

Fez

7 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Loving RDR2. Probably has the most in-game distractions I've ever seen. I get sidetracked every time I'm en route to a quest. Lot of random, funny shit happens in the wilderness, too. Some funny vids on reddit.

Yeah, usually I make frequent use of fast-travel in open world games but I've actually enjoyed wandering the RDR2 map. Best open world made so far, imo.

That swamp region near Saint Denis is rife with random events.

Had several stagecoach robbery missions, was ambushed by a woman claiming to be injured, helped a man save his wife from home-invaders, helped a guy get back to town after being poisoned, chased some corpse-looters who led me into a clearing filled with their gang members, and later saw a hanged corpse which, when I stopped to investigate, resulted in three knife-wielding guys in masks running out of the bushes and stabbing me to death.

Incidentally I recently finished chapter 3, and boy...

... the gang really doesn't fuck around. That Braithwaite manor mission was wild.

I played quite a bit of Fallout 76 yesterday. I had lots of fun like killing a  boss monster at level 5 with one molotov after some randoms monsters softened it up. I noticed a few people running around but we ignored each other most of the time. I joined one event shooting some robots because I was in the area but that was it.

The first quest I tried was bugged in good old Bethesda style and I was unable to finish it though. 

One of my favorite things is still part of the game as I'm finding lots of stuffed animals in funny situations. 

My ini edits which I copied from the Fallout 4 ini worked and I was able play on my ultrawide screen without problems(the FOV edits worked too). The power armor HUD did not work perfectly though but that was a problem in Fallout 4 too. 

It is a shitty console port with an ancient engine but I'm not hating it. ;) 

The only things I dislike so far are the item level restrictions and the low stash size which I maxed out after like 4 hours of play. 

29 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Got in on WoW classic for blizzcon, I had forgotten just how many little things had changed.

A lot of people who think they want WoW classic really don’t...

20 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Yep. Me too.

I'm starting to believe Fallout 76's success may depend on 1 person buying the game and being just good enough to convince 2-3 friends to get it to play with them.

Completely agree. I'm a fallout fan but can't justify buying an online game and playing by myself. When I was younger, sure, but I don't have as much time to play games like I used to so when I'm ready to hit the sticks, or smack the mouse, better believe I'm calling the banners.

Having said that, it's Friday night, wife went to bed already, got a bottle of whiskey looking at me, time to strap on the boots, whistle for my horse and hit the open road!! Yee Fucking Hawww!!!!!!

WarCraft 3 Remaster on the horizon. This looks pretty decent. I guess with a 3D engine they can do a lot more to remaster the game then they did with StarCraft Remastered (which was a bit disappointing).

On 11/4/2018 at 8:10 AM, Werthead said:

WarCraft 3 Remaster on the horizon. This looks pretty decent. I guess with a 3D engine they can do a lot more to remaster the game then they did with StarCraft Remastered (which was a bit disappointing).

I wasn't excited about this at all, until I heard the news that Blizzard is aiming to ensure that all the original mods are supported by the remaster. I could really go for playing some Wintermaul again.

I finished Life is Strange and the end kicked my ass.  Great game.  It's different, has a good story and a good soundtrack.   After that brutal ending I needed a change of pace from my change of pace.  So I spent all night playing Elder Scrolls Online and it was pretty fun.

Microsoft has bought both Obsidian and inXile. These two were the main studios making old-style RPGs in the vein of the Infinity Engine games and their turn-based counterparts, usually crowdfunded via Kickstarter or Fig. I've played most of the latter (Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2, Wasteland 2, Tides of Numenera) and I thought they were decent, but not great. I wonder what they'll do now.

9 hours ago, Altherion said:

Microsoft has bought both Obsidian and inXile. These two were the main studios making old-style RPGs in the vein of the Infinity Engine games and their turn-based counterparts, usually crowdfunded via Kickstarter or Fig. I've played most of the latter (Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2, Wasteland 2, Tides of Numenera) and I thought they were decent, but not great. I wonder what they'll do now.

I think this is a consequence of a massive act of self-hubris: they dropped using Kickstarter and instead went to Fig, which people don't like for various ethical reasons. Although they did managed to fund their latter games using Fig, certainly their PR and marketing profile was utterly non-existent compared to Kickstarter. The result was that PoE 2 and Bard's Tale IV both utterly bombed on released (Torment also did badly, but only after an initially successful launch on Kickstarter that meant it still made money). Wasteland 3 may do better, although Wasteland 2 being the best game to emerge from this crowd of titles may have helped.

I also suspect they ran into a problem that these two old-school studios were supposed to be making old Infinity Engine-style games, but without the strong writing that made those games stand up. In fact, Obisidian sidelined and pushed away Chris Avellone, their best writer, who promptly went to Larian Studios and helped make Divinity: Original Sin II a massive smash hit success.

Another issue was that if you're making a Baldur's Gate-style game, it helps if your game is actually better from at least a UI and gameplay perspective than Baldur's Gate (a 20-year-old game!). Instead these games were fiddly, less intuitive and less reactive. Since you had Beamdog coming along and simply remastering and releasing the BGIcewind Dale and Planescape games, and those games are still simply vastly superior to Pillars of EternityWasteland and Tides of Numenera, it did leave the whole exercise feel pointless, if well-intentioned.

I'm much more interested in Tim Cain's super-RPG project he's been working on at Obsidian for the last 3-4 years in top secret conditions, and whether this will now see the light of day.

Tyranny is the modern Obsidian game with the story I liked the best but the combat was not my cup of tea.

The combat in the original infinity engine games was great because you could pre-buff your party and stuff would last for a few minor fights or one big boss fight. Mixing rest based spellcasting with cooldowns, short duration spells, no proper pre-buffing and no proper healing spells was a horrible decision imo. 

Wasteland 2 was a good game in a way but I'm a Jagged Alliance 2 fanboy and no squad based rpg tactic games has ever been as much fun. Although I'm kinda fond of Fallout Tactics.

3 hours ago, Wolfgang I said:

Tyranny is the modern Obsidian game with the story I liked the best but the combat was not my cup of tea.

Tyranny was definitely the most unique game they've made.  I thought it was a little light on content for an RPG (wasn't a lot of side stuff in the game at launch, although I think they did add some stuff later), and it kind of felt like the game was cut in half and ended right as it was picking up. but it was still a pretty great game.

Archived