Video Games: Shadow of the Rise of the Live Madden War III- HD Remaster

Fez

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

They have been milking this engine seemingly forever. Fallout 4 looked totally out of date when it arrived ( Fallout 3 wasn't ever beautiful ever) and now we have Fallout 76 which IMO looks dog ugly from what I've seen (the occasional landscape shot apart). 

There's really only so many ugly boxish interiors covered in rust I can look at without getting a headache. 

But the worst thing about these games is the lack of attention paid to PC gamers. The Pipboy system does not work with a keyboard well. Skyrim's inventory system was horrible. It seems they just do not care to do things differently for those people without a console.

The engine must have some advantages though. Most other open world games remove corpses and items incredible fast from my experience. That is for single player games though. Rust or ARK: Survival Evolved seem to handle things better at least when it comes to player built structures but those games have an incredible toxic community. 

The graphics looked good when Oblivion came out and that was more than twelve years ago and Skyrim did not look that bad either when it came out. 

7 hours ago, Wolfgang I said:

The engine must have some advantages though. Most other open world games remove corpses and items incredible fast from my experience. That is for single player games though. Rust or ARK: Survival Evolved seem to handle things better at least when it comes to player built structures but those games have an incredible toxic community. 

The graphics looked good when Oblivion came out and that was more than twelve years ago and Skyrim did not look that bad either when it came out. 

The engine is very mature, so Bethesda can push content out for it very quickly. With a new engine they'd have to learn everything from scratch and that would be very difficult to do. It'd push the game's dev time for 3-4 years probably up to 6-7 years (allegedly). Bethesda are also overly reliant on the modding community to fix their games and they know that if they switched to a new engine which didn't use open, editable files (and virtually none of the modern engines do, unless they switched to something like Unity which would not be a good idea), the modders would get pissed off.

OTOH, the guys at CDPR created a brand new engine from scratch and put out a beautiful and vastly more technologically advanced open world game on it in less than 4 years on half the budget, so Bethesda's excuses are starting to ring a little hollow.

I finally got my PS4 Pro today.  I got the Red Dead Redemption II bundle.  I also bought Horizon Zero Dawn, Last of Us, Shadow of the Colossus and God of War.  I haven't set the thing up yet so I have no idea what game I will play first.  I have to figure out to hook it up so the PS4 and the Xbox are hooked up to the same TV.  Guy at Best Buy said it's as easy as plugging it in.  We'll see what happens. 

5 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I finally got my PS4 Pro today.  I got the Red Dead Redemption II bundle.  I also bought Horizon Zero Dawn, Last of Us, Shadow of the Colossus and God of War.  I haven't set the thing up yet so I have no idea what game I will play first.  I have to figure out to hook it up so the PS4 and the Xbox are hooked up to the same TV.  Guy at Best Buy said it's as easy as plugging it in.  We'll see what happens. 

Assuming your TV has more than one HDMI input, then yes... just plug it in, hit the appropriate button on the remote and enjoy.

You have some great games in your “To be played” pile!  I don’t even know which to recommend first!!!

14 hours ago, Rhom said:

Assuming your TV has more than one HDMI input, then yes... just plug it in, hit the appropriate button on the remote and enjoy.

You have some great games in your “To be played” pile!  I don’t even know which to recommend first!!!

Yeah it was pretty much that easy.  I do need to switch my internet cable unless I want to use wireless.  I'll figure that out soon enough.

I started playing Horizon Zero Dawn and it is really good so far. 

11 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

Yeah it was pretty much that easy.  I do need to switch my internet cable unless I want to use wireless.  I'll figure that out soon enough.

I started playing Horizon Zero Dawn and it is really good so far. 

Good choice, HZD is my favorite game released in the last 10 years. Can't really go wrong with any of the ones you chose. Enjoy!

It seems to be working and it looks excellent. Not quite brand new (the "you can make the game look as good as Fallout 4" claim, which wasn't all that as FO4 was hardly a fantastic-looking game in the first place, was a bit hyperbolic) but far, far better than on release, with some terrific detail and effects. It can't do much about the clunky controls and the under-designed bits of the Capital Wasteland though.

Still, a phenomenal achievement.

Just cave and get Fallout 76! You are obviously craving some Fallout :)

The main story may be average as hell, but wandering around exploring is pretty fun. I have never actually finished a Fallout game main story line(!) because I get constantly distracted and tend to find some sidequests or exploring random areas more interesting. So I am quite satisfied with Fallout 76. Except for garbage keybindings, don't know how hard it is to just let PC players bind their own damn keys but ffs it is horrid. Heavy melee and Grenade button being the same is such a shit idea, specially when using molotov >_<

Needless to say, I have been sinking some serious hours into it. Next up is getting my base/camp defense up to scratch. A Scortchbeast just destroyed everything QQ

Fallout 76 has sold less than 19% the number of copies that Fallout 4 did on its first week of release. This marks Fallout 76 Bethesda Softworks' worst first-week sales since The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, which was only released on PC (an original X-Box port followed, but not until months later) in 2002 when Bethesda was a relatively obscure maker of niche RPGs, and the first time since 2004's Brotherhood of Steel that a Fallout game has lost sales compared to its forebear.

Bethesda in full-on damage control mode, saying that it's because its experimental, multiplayer, they weren't expecting the same level of sales yadda yadda. Bullshit. They were hoping to tap into the Overwatch/Fortnite/Call of Duty multiplayer $$$ and that's blown up in their faces. The game is also taking a critical pounding the likes of which Bethesda RPGs have never seen before.

They'd better hope they can get Starfield out next year in order to start some serious damage repair on the franchise.

Meanwhile, you can get a copy of Outcast: The Second Contact completely free via Humble today.

27 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Fallout 76 has sold less than 19% the number of copies that Fallout 4 did on its first week of release. This marks Fallout 76 Bethesda Softworks' worst first-week sales since The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, which was only released on PC (an original X-Box port followed, but not until months later) in 2002 when Bethesda was a relatively obscure maker of niche RPGs, and the first time since 2004's Brotherhood of Steel that a Fallout game has lost sales compared to its forebear.

Bethesda in full-on damage control mode, saying that it's because its experimental, multiplayer, they weren't expecting the same level of sales yadda yadda. Bullshit. They were hoping to tap into the Overwatch/Fortnite/Call of Duty multiplayer $$$ and that's blown up in their faces. The game is also taking a critical pounding the likes of which Bethesda RPGs have never seen before.

What is Fallout 76 meant to be? From a quick google, it seems that it is a multiplayer RPG shooter with no story? Are the reviews exaggerated or is it really that bad?

My interest perked a little from your comparisons, but there are no similarities to any of the games you listed. It is not a MOBA FPS (Overwatch), nor a Battle Royale (Fortnite + newest Call of Duty), nor whatever the old Call of Duty/Battlefield/Day of Defeat genre is called. It seems closer to Destiny/Warframe, except that those games have actual content?

45 minutes ago, Werthead said:

They'd better hope they can get Starfield out next year in order to start some serious damage repair on the franchise.

Meanwhile, you can get a copy of Outcast: The Second Contact completely free via Humble today.

wow, thats seriously pretty bad for them. The reviews and comments have been scathing from the very first moment the game was announced though. It just seems like the culmination of a number of very bad ideas and an attempt to make money off of an old out of date framework.

I have really mixed feelings about this game, in some ways I really want it to be good. I want there to be an amazing open world multiplayer game set in the fallout world that fills me with awe and makes me feel like I'm living in that desolate wasteland. Survival Mode in Fallout 4 almost touched that feeling at times for me.

But this just looks empty. I've watched so many videos of the game and it never gives you that sense that its a serious game. Where is the awe when you have other players running around in their pants doing the exact same quest as you. I don't see any immersion. 

Excellent work from Jason Schreier on what is going on with Diablo. Basically, Blizzard wrote off Diablo III as a relative failure after Reaper of Souls was finished and started work on a completely new version of Diablo IV that was a Dark Souls clone, since clearly no-one wanted what they were selling with Diablo III. Then the lead dev left, Reaper of Souls sold a bazillion copies and Blizzard were left completely confused over what their audience wanted. Apparently they have retooled the game as Diablo III with a darker aesthetic (more like Diablo II) and that's looking promising so far, but it's taken them about 3 years just to get to that point.

More baffling is the fact that all of the AAA companies seem to be failing to comprehend that gamers and fans, including people who've been your fans for 20+ years, mainly just want good games and they don't want to be treated like a cash cow paying for cosmetic bullshit and auction houses and other blatant cash-grabbing fuckwittery. EA, Bethesda, Microsoft and all of the developers seem to be repeatedly making the same mistakes.

35 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

What is Fallout 76 meant to be? From a quick google, it seems that it is a multiplayer RPG shooter with no story? Are the reviews exaggerated or is it really that bad?

My interest perked a little from your comparisons, but there are no similarities to any of the games you listed. It is not a MOBA FPS (Overwatch), nor a Battle Royale (Fortnite + newest Call of Duty), nor whatever the old Call of Duty/Battlefield/Day of Defeat genre is called. It seems closer to Destiny/Warframe, except that those games have actual content?

It's a multiplayer RPG with no story and no NPCs, which is...weird. If they just dropped the RPG angle and made an online-focused game in the Fallout universe (either an MMORPG or an action shooter) that would be one thing, but they haven't done that. They also haven't made a standard RPG with optional drop-in co-op, which is what everyone has been asking for since at least Oblivion. They also haven't used an engine which is suitable for multiplayer (in fact, they don't have an engine which is really suitable for single-player either, but fans have made their peace with that because of the ease of modding).

There's far too much shooting and dumb-ass moronic griefing and not enough story or characters to make the game work as an RPG but the shooting mechanics and the effective removal of VATS have made the combat too awful to work as a shooter. To quote Ron Swanson, it's half-assing two things rather than full-assing one thing.

4 minutes ago, Werthead said:

-snip-

Thanks. It is rather strange. It sounds like it's a really polished game lobby rather than a game. 

I think cosmetics are a fair way for developers to milk their franchise, especially if they are providing servers and/or updates instead of selling expansions. There aren't many games that run on subscription now, and you can usually only sell the base game once. It is far better than the pay to win/pay for lives model too.

Also, I think that these companies have a mostly good read on what their audience wants. We just aren't their audience. I mean, EA manages to sell what are essentially the same games every year or every other year. It's really amazing to see.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Excellent work from Jason Schreier on what is going on with Diablo. Basically, Blizzard wrote off Diablo III as a relative failure after Reaper of Souls was finished and started work on a completely new version of Diablo IV that was a Dark Souls clone, since clearly no-one wanted what they were selling with Diablo III.

Is it wrong that I kinda would have liked them to at least announce Diablo IV as a Dark Souls clone just to see how fucking outraged people would be by it? 

30 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Thanks. It is rather strange. It sounds like it's a really polished game lobby rather than a game. 

I think cosmetics are a fair way for developers to milk their franchise, especially if they are providing servers and/or updates instead of selling expansions. There aren't many games that run on subscription now, and you can usually only sell the base game once. It is far better than the pay to win/pay for lives model too.

Also, I think that these companies have a mostly good read on what their audience wants. We just aren't their audience. I mean, EA manages to sell what are essentially the same games every year or every other year. It's really amazing to see.

If the game is a huge success, then yes, that makes sense. People moaned about Call of Duty's horrible, underwritten, far-too-short, far-too-linear SP campaigns until the cows come home, but the games kept selling 35 million copies each and in the end they just dropped the SP campaign altogether and no-one really cared (although the series now seems to be - albeit moderately - in decline in sales).

If Fallout 76 had sold bucketloads, then the people moaning about the game being a multiplayer only affair wouldn't have much impact. They moaned about Elder Scrolls Online as well, but that game's sold reasonably well and still has a strong player base, it's just not necessarily to everyone's tastes.

40 minutes ago, Werthead said:

If the game is a huge success, then yes, that makes sense. People moaned about Call of Duty's horrible, underwritten, far-too-short, far-too-linear SP campaigns until the cows come home, but the games kept selling 35 million copies each and in the end they just dropped the SP campaign altogether and no-one really cared (although the series now seems to be - albeit moderately - in decline in sales).

If Fallout 76 had sold bucketloads, then the people moaning about the game being a multiplayer only affair wouldn't have much impact. They moaned about Elder Scrolls Online as well, but that game's sold reasonably well and still has a strong player base, it's just not necessarily to everyone's tastes.

As far as I understand the real money is now in microtransactions and mobile games. Minimal effort for a lot of money. 

That aside I must admit I'm enjoying Fallot 76 more and more. The new real time VATS is great if you focus your build on it and you can have actual builds again(because you get no more special points after level 50)unlike Fallout 4 where you could max. everything. I really disliked the old VATS and never played that much Fallout 3 because of it. NV was the first new Fallout that had ok gunplay Fallout 3 was horrible in that regard. 

The games PVP balance is completly broken though but I ignored that part of the game anyway. 

Well someone tried to kill me because I joined an event and stole all the kills. The player could one-hit all enemies with a supersledge but bullets travel faster than a player can walk even if I had to hit a few enemies twice. I fast traveled away and that was it.

Melee is fucking OP damagewise right now but enemies apart from the flying endgame enemies can be killed with a good gun build just as quickly and shooting them out of the sky is still faster than waiting for them to land(except for the endgame boss). 

The bugs are horrible of course but it is more polished than Fallout 4/Skyrim in a way. There are XP and carry weight glitches which ruin it as MP game I guess but I'm not really playing it as one apart from giftig people legendary items my build does not need. People do not realize how easy evading other people is thanks to the random server mechanic. Changing servers takes as much time as a load screen in Fallout 4.

I never played a Fallout 4/Skyrim savegame as long as I have played Fallout 76 without encountering a gamebreaking bug which required the console.

I got broken quests and shit of course but unmodded Fallout 4 and Skyrim are even worse(my gf plays them unmodded on the console...) . 

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

It's a multiplayer RPG with no story and no NPCs, which is...weird. If they just dropped the RPG angle and made an online-focused game in the Fallout universe (either an MMORPG or an action shooter) that would be one thing, but they haven't done that. They also haven't made a standard RPG with optional drop-in co-op, which is what everyone has been asking for since at least Oblivion. They also haven't used an engine which is suitable for multiplayer (in fact, they don't have an engine which is really suitable for single-player either, but fans have made their peace with that because of the ease of modding).

There's far too much shooting and dumb-ass moronic griefing and not enough story or characters to make the game work as an RPG but the shooting mechanics and the effective removal of VATS have made the combat too awful to work as a shooter. To quote Ron Swanson, it's half-assing two things rather than full-assing one thing.

I played the Fallout 76 beta (thanks, Wolfgang!) and it just did absolutely nothing for me.  It's like someone slapped a Fallout skin on Rust, but somehow made the game way worse than either Rust or Fallout.  The game also runs like a flaming pile of dog shit, or at least it did for me.  It became borderline unplayable at times despite the graphics looking pretty awful by modern standards.  

The lack of any real, compelling content is the real issue, though.  Fallout, to me, has always been about the combination of exploration, NPCs, and making choices.  It seems that 76 pretty much lacks the last two, which means all it really has going for it is the grind to keep getting new and better stuff, which can be fine if the game is fun, or if I bought it for ten bucks on Steam and don't expect much, but Fallout 76 wasn't really fun, and it's a full price release despite the fact that it looks and plays like early access.

Just a hard pass from me, and I absolutely love Fallout. 

Archived