Video Games: Shadow of the Rise of the Live Madden War III- HD Remaster

Fez

7 hours ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

Respectfully, you are wrong here, Wert. This was the narrative that became retroactively imposed on Pathfinder's history by fans of Pathfinder and detractors of 4e - perhaps likely including yourself here - rather than one that reflects what actually was transpiring at Paizo. I had already mentioned the latter paragraph as well, so that does not rebuff anything that I said in that regard. 

So, your assertion is that if D&E 4th Edition had been a great game which got everyone excited and had a great early reception, then Paizo would have poured tens of thousands of dollars (at least) into developing a redundant rival product and hundreds of thousands more dollars bringing it to market? Paizo would have probably gone bust if they had done that.

The direct path to Pathfinder's publication began in December 2007 with the 4E preview release (on races and classes) when the overwhelmingly negative fan reaction led to fans petitioning Paizo not to support 4E because it was clearly going to be bullshit or, at least (being very charitable here) massively different to 3E and fundamentally incompatible. That was a primary creative motivation for making PF. Paizo wanted to keep making money, so of course the OGL was a problem (and that was why they launched the Pathfinder periodical and adventure line earlier when WotC pulled the magazine licence), but fundamentally, a 3.5E-derived RPG was a complete non-starter if they believed that 4E was going to be a huge success and bring most of the D&D fanbase over to it.

49 minutes ago, Werthead said:

So, your assertion is that if D&E 4th Edition had been a great game which got everyone excited and had a great early reception, then Paizo would have poured tens of thousands of dollars (at least) into developing a redundant rival product and hundreds of thousands more dollars bringing it to market? Paizo would have probably gone bust if they had done that.

The direct path to Pathfinder's publication began in December 2007 with the 4E preview release (on races and classes) when the overwhelmingly negative fan reaction led to fans petitioning Paizo not to support 4E because it was clearly going to be bullshit or, at least (being very charitable here) massively different to 3E and fundamentally incompatible. That was a primary creative motivation for making PF. Paizo wanted to keep making money, so of course the OGL was a problem (and that was why they launched the Pathfinder periodical and adventure line earlier when WotC pulled the magazine licence), but fundamentally, a 3.5E-derived RPG was a complete non-starter if they believed that 4E was going to be a huge success and bring most of the D&D fanbase over to it.

This is off topic, but I also remember it the way Matrim is stating.  Pazio has been pretty public about why they started Pathfinder.  They needed to do something when their revenue stream dried up from the conversion to 4e. (They lost the license to publish 3rd party products for 4e.) Jasom Bulhman and Lisa Stevens, CEO of Pazio, ocalled it a hale mary and have been pretty public about the their thoughts at the time.  But they really had little choice, it was embraced the OGL of 3.0 or go out of business. 

It was serendipity that a large audience disliked 4.0.  Pazio hugely benefited from that, but it wasn't their driving force. 

On 12/8/2018 at 12:27 PM, Simon Steele said:

What do you guys think of Lords of the Fallen? I'm playing it (bought it last year I think), and I have to say it's not nearly so bad as I remember hearing. It's pretty, it's a Dark Souls clone, but it's different because of the sustained narrative. I like it but it's very short, and seems underdeveloped. I guess it was super glitchy upon release?

Some of the fighting mechanics are bad at times, but it's still much easier than Dark Souls. I played for a couple of hours before dying, which is actually quite long considering I'm about to beat the game at 12 hours. It's a much smaller game, but I think it serves the game well. It's very interconnected much like the first Dark Souls.

I liked it, but I had two playthroughs that both glitched out on me so I shelved it.  My first playthrough I somehow went through a wall and was stuck in an area that was WAY over where I should have been and I couldn't get out.  The next one I got to this one area and played it like 6 times, each time the game would just die and I'd be forced to restart the area from the beginning.  Huge PITA.

If the bugs are fixed and it's as short as you say, I should pick it up again soon.

8 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

So, I got into the Anthem closed Alpha that went on this weekend, so that was pretty interesting. Don't know I can really say much about it, as you had to sign an NDA to get in, and apparently a streamer got his Origin library blocked/deleted for breaking it. 

Hmmm... how can I ask these things without you getting in trouble?

Give me a :crying: emoji if its not worth that it killed Mass Effect; give me a :blushing: emoji if it looks like it will be a good time!  :lol: 

2 hours ago, aceluby said:

I liked it, but I had two playthroughs that both glitched out on me so I shelved it.  My first playthrough I somehow went through a wall and was stuck in an area that was WAY over where I should have been and I couldn't get out.  The next one I got to this one area and played it like 6 times, each time the game would just die and I'd be forced to restart the area from the beginning.  Huge PITA.

If the bugs are fixed and it's as short as you say, I should pick it up again soon.

That'd be super frustrating to me too. I haven't experienced any bugs, and from what I can tell, people report this game is vastly improved since release. I'm just running around trying to unlock doors before I fight the last boss, and even with all this movement throughout the maps, I haven't had any issues.

I think the fighting is kind of buggy at times (like, I know I hit things sometimes but they take no damage). But otherwise, no complaints. It seems like it could be a pretty cool series if the developers had more experience.

On 12/9/2018 at 8:29 AM, Guy Kilmore said:

This is off topic, but I also remember it the way Matrim is stating.  Pazio has been pretty public about why they started Pathfinder.  They needed to do something when their revenue stream dried up from the conversion to 4e. (They lost the license to publish 3rd party products for 4e.) Jasom Bulhman and Lisa Stevens, CEO of Pazio, ocalled it a hale mary and have been pretty public about the their thoughts at the time.  But they really had little choice, it was embraced the OGL of 3.0 or go out of business. 

It was serendipity that a large audience disliked 4.0.  Pazio hugely benefited from that, but it wasn't their driving force. 

Isn't it really a combination of the two? I.e both "versions" of the story can be true at the same time. And it's different people emphasising one aspect of the whole truth for their own reasons that creates divergent narratives? Piazo was having an existential crisis because of what they were hamstrung by with 4Es' 3rd party restriction, so had to find something to stay alive. 4E was a poorly received update of D&D, which gave Pazio a pathway to survival if they were creative enough to make use of the very well liked 3.5E as a blueprint for their own product; which they were.

5 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Yes, yes it is.

How long does it stay set in the winter? I've completed a few missions now, I think the last one was robbing a train, but man does the snow slow you down and these missions are taking a long time.

I feel like the game is a healthy balance between the fun of GTA and the realness of the Mafia series. 

Took a pretty long break, but I'm fully back into AC: Odyssey. The game's still really good, I just wish it was a bit shorter, there's too much bloat in it. I could, and do, ignore a lot of the mechanics, but I want to complete all three of the main plot threads, not just the one that gets you to the end credits. And the other two are pretty damn involved.

24 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

How long does it stay set in the winter? I've completed a few missions now, I think the last one was robbing a train, but man does the snow slow you down and these missions are taking a long time.

I feel like the game is a healthy balance between the fun of GTA and the realness of the Mafia series. 

Ha not long.  And if you think that's the case from chapter one well.... wait until chapter 2 :)

11 hours ago, Rhom said:

Hmmm... how can I ask these things without you getting in trouble?

Give me a :crying: emoji if its not worth that it killed Mass Effect; give me a :blushing: emoji if it looks like it will be a good time!  :lol: 

How about a :dunno:? The most I feel like I can really say, is that it was an alpha. Some stuff I thought was pretty neat, some stuff concerns me. If you're at all interested in the game, and they do an open beta, I'd say download it and check a bit out for yourself. It made me more interested in the game than I was before, so there is that.

23 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Ha not long.  And if you think that's the case from chapter one well.... wait until chapter 2 :)

I've reached it and did most of one mission. However I decided to take advantage of the open world aspect and got arrested. Now I don't have my guns nor any money. Can I just start stabbing people to get some more supplies? 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've reached it and did most of one mission. However I decided to take advantage of the open world aspect and got arrested. Now I don't have my guns nor any money. Can I just start stabbing people to get some more supplies? 

To be honest I've never been arrested.  But yes just wander around and barge into any houses you see around (not in town.  You do it in town you will get a bounty) and take shit.

21 hours ago, Slurktan said:

To be honest I've never been arrested.  But yes just wander around and barge into any houses you see around (not in town.  You do it in town you will get a bounty) and take shit.

You're not living then! And as it turns out, I had a lot of guns. They were just at the camp. 

34 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You're not living then! And as it turns out, I had a lot of guns. They were just at the camp. 

I make my cash treasure hunting and stealing stagecoaches/wagons.  Play a little more into Chapter 2 to get access  to the fence.  (Hosea's missions specfically, it lets you sell those hot goods)

Archived