Video Games: Shadow of the Rise of the Live Madden War III- HD Remaster

Fez

20 minutes ago, briantw said:

Finished up Shadow of the Tomb Raider last night.

Such a weird game.  You have this vast upgrade tree with so many skills you can unlock, but the bulk of them have to do with combat or stealth, and there's just so little of that in the game that it makes the whole endeavor feel a little pointless.  Whereas in the past two games, Lara would go on regular killing sprees, decimating foreigners at a rate that only Nathan Drake would scoff at, in Shadow, there are only a handful of combat sequences in the entire game.  

And while I found this to generally be an improvement, as by far the best part of these games has been the puzzles, platforming, exploration, and occasional ridiculous set-pieces, the problem is that I found myself staring at the upgrade screen wondering what the hell the point of it all was.  

Similarly, the lack of combat makes the sheer amount of guns you gain access to a bit ridiculous as well.  I only ended up using two assault rifles the entire game, starting out with a silenced one before realizing there wasn't enough stealth in the game to bother when you always have a bow and arrow anyway and then switching to a louder, more powerful option for the end-game.  I think I used a pistol like once in the entire damn game.  The shotgun was more useful, although really only when you fight a certain group of enemies that largely just rush mindlessly at you.  Against enemy soldiers a rifle is just far more efficient.

The puzzles were a lot of fun, though, as I believe I mentioned here previously.  I was disappointed by the end-game segment primarily because I was hoping it would involve another of the game's fun tombs, which were a blast to work my way through.  Instead, it was a pretty generic linear action set-piece, of which the game has several better earlier on, including an awesome one to cap off the prologue followed by similarly generic combat and a lame "boss" fight that mostly just involves shooting a guy a shitload of times.

The story was dumb as hell.  It begins with Lara doing her thing, desecrating a tomb and taking a knife from an altar, which inadvertently begins the Mayan apocalypse or something.  Naturally, the knife is stolen from her minutes later, as once again she does exactly what the bad guys want by finding something for them and then getting caught (which I think happens around five times in each of these three games).  The only way Lara can save the world is to travel into the Amazon to track down the knife and the box it can be inserted into, which can restore the sun or, in the wrong hands, give the holder a godlike power to remake the world.  

You can pretty much figure out how things go from there.  None of it is even remotely surprising or unpredictable.  The writing isn't great, the acting is pretty poor across the board, and the character models don't emote particularly well.  

Overall, I'd give it a 7.  It's a fun action/adventure/platformer that seems to have finally figured out the proper balance among those three things.  The puzzles were creative and occasionally a bit difficult despite there only being a handful of game mechanics involved, and the platforming is mostly fun as well outside of occasionally dying because Lara decides she'd rather not grab that ledge right now, thank you very much.  Also, it can sometimes be confusing as to where you're supposed to go next, which is an example of occasional poor design.  If you liked the first two but thought they could have used more puzzles and platforming and less shooting dudes in the face, this one's gonna be for you. 

This is good to know. I've tried to get through the Rise of the Tomb Raider several times but though I loved the first one that spark just isn't there for me. Sounds like this isn't the way to go either.

13 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

The mask helps, you can buy specialized ones at the fence. Like I have a silver skull mask. 

Good lord does it. I robbed so many people last night, and the mask let me get away with so much. I've got like six guns now.

Also, the bow is so underrated. I use it on horseback a lot and sneak up behind people. You don't make any noise so you can take your time to loot people. 

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, the bow is so underrated. I use it on horseback a lot and sneak up behind people. You don't make any noise so you can take your time to loot people. 

Bloody hell. Ninja horses :ninja:. I haven't been this worried about humanity's future since those horses climbed the walls at Alexandria during the battle with Negan.

10 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Bloody hell. Ninja horses :ninja:. I haven't been this worried about humanity's future since those horses climbed the walls at Alexandria during the battle with Negan.

I found a woman trapped under a horse. She begged for my help. So I put on my mask and put her out of her misery with my sawed-off.  

Because I’m a gentleman.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I found a woman trapped under a horse. She begged for my help. So I put on my mask and put her out of her misery with my sawed-off.  

Because I’m a gentleman.

Also, @Guy Kilmore, I found the fence. I haven’t had a chance to start robbing coaches yet, but that will come soon.  

I was more thinking you need an iconic mask from the fence considering your activities. 

My personal goal is to get my facial hair long enough to have a handlebar mustache. 

34 minutes ago, Guy Kilmore said:

I was more thinking you need an iconic mask from the fence considering your activities. 

My personal goal is to get my facial hair long enough to have a handlebar mustache. 

I am currently rocking a thick goatee, and I hope the game lets you grow your hair out. I haven’t crafted anything as far as clothing goes, but my goal is to go full Man in Black. I’ve probably logged 10 hours of game play by now and I’d be shocked if even half of that is mission related.

Also, I found a neat loophole. You can ram people with your horse, whether they’re walking or on a horse, and kill them. This method doesn’t call witnesses over.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I am currently rocking a thick goatee, and I hope the game lets you grow your hair out. I haven’t crafted anything as far as clothing goes, but my goal is to go full Man in Black. I’ve probably logged 10 hours of game play by now and I’d be shocked if even half of that is mission related.

Also, I found a neat loophole. You can ram people with your horse, whether they’re walking or on a horse, and kill them. This method doesn’t call witnesses over.

Becareful, I've done that accidentally and got witnesses called.

And your hair does grow out. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Your hair grows as you sleep (I think) and you can chug hair tonic to help your hair growth.

Unfortunately there does not seem to be that many black coats or jackets around, or at least I havn't found that many.

1 hour ago, Guy Kilmore said:

Becareful, I've done that accidentally and got witnesses called.

And your hair does grow out. 

Interesting. I’ve only done it in the woods. I’m sure it would flag you in town.

45 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

Your hair grows as you sleep (I think) and you can chug hair tonic to help your hair growth.

Unfortunately there does not seem to be that many black coats or jackets around, or at least I havn't found that many.

Wait you’re supposed to sleep? I know I have some kind of tent thing, but I’ve never used it.

Can you also start a fire to cook food? I’ve got a ton of stuff I’ve killed and looted, Oregon Trial style.

All this talk of RDR2 makes me want to get it....

I picked up Smash over the weekend and I am terrible at it.  Though now that I've started the adventure I'm starting to get decent with Jigglypuff, so I might go back to regular smash with him and see how I fare.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Interesting. I’ve only done it in the woods. I’m sure it would flag you in town.

Wait you’re supposed to sleep? I know I have some kind of tent thing, but I’ve never used it.

Can you also start a fire to cook food? I’ve got a ton of stuff I’ve killed and looted, Oregon Trial style.

I'm not sure you have to, but you can, it helps regenerated the stamina core.

Yes, you can make camp and start a fire, where you can cook food  or craft items. Or you can just find a camp in the wild to do it in.

49 minutes ago, aceluby said:

All this talk of RDR2 makes me want to get it....

Do it! Do it! Do it!  

I bought my PS4 Pro simply to play the game. It’s like a GTA set in the old West while being more realistic. It’s dope!  

I picked up Smash over the weekend and I am terrible at it.  Though now that I've started the adventure I'm starting to get decent with Jigglypuff, so I might go back to regular smash with him and see how I fare.

I was worried I was going to be awful at Madden, given it’s been years since I last played. Nope. Through three All-Pro games I have yet to give up a point, and Diggs has like 10 TDs. Not so much for Thielen though.

41 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

I'm not sure you have to, but you can, it helps regenerated the stamina core.

Yes, you can make camp and start a fire, where you can cook food  or craft items. Or you can just find a camp in the wild to do it in.

Is the equipment I need on me or the horse? I really haven’t played with a lot of aspects of the game yet. Just a lot of killing.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

On the West side of the "West Elizabeth" area in big valley there is a spot where you can pick up a Pagan goat mask.  There also is a spot in butchers creek that has a Pentagram show up in fire in one of the houses between like 3-5 am.  You could potentially hogtie people and ritually sacrifice them there with the mask on.  Or not :P  You can also find a Viking Helmet and axe to use.

As for Man in black I think the Gambler outfit is a good start or as best as the game will let you as there's not a lot of black clothing.

The equipment for making a camp is always with you, hold L1 then switch to items instead of weapons and it is the bottom middle one.

EDIT:  Just to add, there still is the option that was there in RDR 1 of hogtying a person and leaving them on the railroad tracks.  Also in case you need to get rid of bodies. just like in the movie Snatch find a pigyard.  They will make short work of bodies.

15 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

EDIT:  Just to add, there still is the option that was there in RDR 1 of hogtying a person and leaving them on the railroad tracks.  Also in case you need to get rid of bodies. just like in the movie Snatch find a pigyard.  They will make short work of bodies.

Gooooooooooooooo on. What's this hogtying business you speak of? I know one of the selling points to the game was how graphic it is, and the example I saw was dragging someone with a chain and throwing them down a well.

37 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Gooooooooooooooo on. What's this hogtying business you speak of? I know one of the selling points to the game was how graphic it is, and the example I saw was dragging someone with a chain and throwing them down a well.

You can use a lasso on someone to catch them, then, while continung to hold the lasso button you can walk up and hog tie them.

ETA: Setting up a camp is an option on one of the horse menus, you might need to do a certain quest to unlock it. 

2 minutes ago, Guy Kilmore said:

You can use a lasso on someone to catch them, then, while continung to hold the lasso button you can walk up and hog tie them.

ETA: Setting up a camp is an option on one of the horse menus, you might need to do a certain quest to unlock it. 

Nice. I'm going to enjoy playing this game for like 10 hours tomorrow. First time in a long time where I have literally nothing to do, so it's day drinking and mastering the game! 

Nice. I'm going to enjoy playing this game for like 10 hours tomorrow. First time in a long time where I have literally nothing to do, so it's day drinking and mastering the game! 

Guy Kilmore basically explained how to hogtie but there's lots of cruel things you can do. I believe the tutorial mission for how to hogtie is the first bounty mission in Valentine.  After lassoing you can choose not to hogtie and just drag the person along while you are riding comfortably, there's even a challenge requiring that.  But if you do hogtie you then get the advantage of then bringing them where you want.  Want to drown them in mud or feed them to alligators?  Bring them the the swamp.  Want to toss them off a bridge to drown in a river?  What about throwing them off a mountain?  What about feeding them to a bear or a pack of wolves?  Possibilities abound.

Archived