Video Games: Shadow of the Rise of the Live Madden War III- HD Remaster

Fez

8 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Guy Kilmore basically explained how to hogtie but there's lots of cruel things you can do. I believe the tutorial mission for how to hogtie is the first bounty mission in Valentine.  After lassoing you can choose not to hogtie and just drag the person along while you are riding comfortably, there's even a challenge requiring that.  But if you do hogtie you then get the advantage of then bringing them where you want.  Want to drown them in mud or feed them to alligators?  Bring them the the swamp.  Want to toss them off a bridge to drown in a river?  What about throwing them off a mountain?  What about feeding them to a bear or a pack of wolves?  Possibilities abound.

I pickpocketed as I left a bar, I chased the culprit down, caught him with the lasso, hogited him and dropped him in the nearest body of water. It was very satisfying. Almost as good as throwing dynamite on the KKK.

As for leaving hogtied people on the train tracks, I think there's a challenge that requires you to have left at least 3 or 5 people on the train tracks.

So I've been pouring a lot of time off work into Battlefield V (I know, don't worry. I know.)

Setting aside my idiocy and general rubeishness for the next few sentences l would like to break this one down. 

Battlefield V is Fallout 76 if Bethesda had chosen to preemptively release an unfinished game that's REALLY FUN. 

BAD JACE

But it's true!

BAD! EA!

I know! 

But really, the game is very fun. You have your typical DICE massive combat that's tense and rewarding. One big addition to this year's entry is the building of fortifications like those Jax looking things that stop tanks, digging ditches, piling sandbags, and quite a bit more. This is a really cool feature, and balanced perfectly for my money. Any class can construct fortifications, though an engineer works faster, and it takes long enough so as not to be spammy but with 2 or three guys working together you can really buff up a control point in the minute or so it takes the enemy to reach you from the one they just captured. And like I said, it's good balance. These fortifications give a huge boost to defense, but you aren't going to stone wall a rampaging squad of Panzers with your little sandbag fort and machine gun emplacemen. Get 3 or 4 guys in there with you? Maybe a few AT weapons between you? You can buy the rest of the army time to regroup.

So the gameplay is pretty great. Part of my own personal hype for this game was that I did not know until I played Battlefield One that I needed to divebomb fools. And in that game I was doing it with rickety biplanes. There's no better feeling than when I start a hard left bank and go screaming directly at a Tiger Tank trying to cross a river from a 90 degree angle and drop my bombs about 150 meters above the ground before peeling away to get more munitions.

Buuuuuuuut...

You probably shouldn't buy this game. It's got like 8 maps, 3 of which don't allow planes and always seem next in the rotation. It looks beautiful when the lighting isn't being fucking weird and making it impossible to see if I'm racking up points for hitting that bomber or I'm missing and wasting ammo. Textures are slow to load, visuals take forever to appear in the MENU. How the fuck does that even happen? It's also microtrans to the fucking N'th degree. Class and vehicle leveling is stiff but seems fair, but the amount if in game currency you get for customization is pitiful.

And it's only got 2 factions. This is the real heart of darkness here. I know I should have seen it coming, they did it with BF1 too, but this piecemeal releasing of games is getting to be too much. And this whole women characters thing could have been avoided if you had them exclusive to the Soviets who ACTUALLY PUT WOMEN IN COMBAT but that would require having the Soviets in the game at fucking launch. Which is apparently a bridge too far.

EA man. E fucking A

Battlefront 2 was a nightmare mess after the disaster of Battlefront, but I feel bad for DICE. They've made great games, and the games they still make have good gameplay and cool maps and mechanics. But it's EA.

It's EA.

ETA2: Mutant Year Zero still seems awesome, wish I could play it. 

I'm still having some lingering PC issues, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas here? I replaced my HDD, which was failing, with an SSD and a new HDD. With only the SSD connected, I installed windows 10 from a flash drive and it seems like I did that correctly. I then connected the HDD which also seemed to work. I noticed however that when I restart the PC, it does not boot windows automatically on its own. I have to go to the boot menu and select Windows Boot Manager and then it boots. If I don't do that, I get the error message about needing to insert boot media or restarting the PC. There's two questions/issues here:

First, with my previous HDD I did not have a boot option called Windows Boot Manager, I boot directly from an option with just the name of the HDD. I currently have a boot option with just the name of the SSD, but I can't boot from it, I have to boot from the Windows Boot Manager. From what I can tell, this is the modern and correct way to boot, so everything's fine. Is that right?

Second, and herein lies the rub, sometimes when I restart the PC, the Windows Boot Manager is missing from the list of boot options and I can't figure out anywhere to boot Windows. My only option seems to be to restart the computer and hope the boot manager reappears (which, in my extremely small sample size of 3, it won't reappear if I restart immediately but will reappear if I wait a while before restarting). Any thoughts on what could be causing this and how to prevent it from reoccurring? And once it is fixed, how do I fix my boot order so that Windows will boot automatically and I don't need to manually go into the boot menu each restart?

I'm really hoping the answer here isn't that it's actually my motherboard that's failing and that the old HDD was fine.

Omg, the amount of carnage was unreal. The highlight had to be the double head shot I got. At one point I think I was fighting an entire town. I believe I am mostly down with chapter 4 now. Still haven’t found the alligators yet though. It sounds like there could be a lot of fun had with them.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Omg, the amount of carnage was unreal. The highlight had to be the double head shot I got. At one point I think I was fighting an entire town. I believe I am mostly down with chapter 4 now. Still haven’t found the alligators yet though. It sounds like there could be a lot of fun had with them.

You’re doing pretty good with the story. Chapter 6 is a masterpiece imo

25 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

You’re doing pretty good with the story. Chapter 6 is a masterpiece imo

I think I need to slow down on the missions and do some of the side stuff. I’ve largely skipped a lot of it in favor of being a mass murderer.

Also, I learned the hard way that bounties just apply to areas. It took several hours to pay off a lot of old ones I ran up at the start of the game.

And good god is my reputation low. Oh well.

20 hours ago, Fez said:

I'm still having some lingering PC issues, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas here? I replaced my HDD, which was failing, with an SSD and a new HDD. With only the SSD connected, I installed windows 10 from a flash drive and it seems like I did that correctly. I then connected the HDD which also seemed to work. I noticed however that when I restart the PC, it does not boot windows automatically on its own. I have to go to the boot menu and select Windows Boot Manager and then it boots. If I don't do that, I get the error message about needing to insert boot media or restarting the PC. There's two questions/issues here:

First, with my previous HDD I did not have a boot option called Windows Boot Manager, I boot directly from an option with just the name of the HDD. I currently have a boot option with just the name of the SSD, but I can't boot from it, I have to boot from the Windows Boot Manager. From what I can tell, this is the modern and correct way to boot, so everything's fine. Is that right?

Second, and herein lies the rub, sometimes when I restart the PC, the Windows Boot Manager is missing from the list of boot options and I can't figure out anywhere to boot Windows. My only option seems to be to restart the computer and hope the boot manager reappears (which, in my extremely small sample size of 3, it won't reappear if I restart immediately but will reappear if I wait a while before restarting). Any thoughts on what could be causing this and how to prevent it from reoccurring? And once it is fixed, how do I fix my boot order so that Windows will boot automatically and I don't need to manually go into the boot menu each restart?

I'm really hoping the answer here isn't that it's actually my motherboard that's failing and that the old HDD was fine.

Probably a better idea to post this somewhere like Tom's Hardware or a PC site. That definitely doesn't sound right, but it's beyond my expertise in the area.

24 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Probably a better idea to post this somewhere like Tom's Hardware or a PC site. That definitely doesn't sound right, but it's beyond my expertise in the area.

I can never figure out which of those sites are legit and helpful and which are just a waste of time.

In the meantime, I'm just leaving my PC on and hoping it doesn't need to restart again for a long time. Not that I think it'll fix itself over time; I just don't want to deal with this anymore for a while. Especially over the holidays when I have plenty of time where I want to just relax and play some games.

I'm also wondering if the problem is with the SATA cable or power cable (or the PSU itself) connected to the SSD. One of times that the Windows Boot Manager was missing, the entire SSD wasn't being detected by the BIOS (not just in the boot priority list, but straight up in the list of SATA connections), which doesn't seem right at all. Of course, the other time, the SSD was being detected and it was just the boot manager that wasn't. There's too many damn variables involved and I don't know how to start excluding any of them.

Sega has released the original Phantasy Star on the Switch...  I played it once via emulation.  For an 8 bit game it was well ahead of its time.  

Part of me wants to drop the $8 on it just to encourage them to revive the series.  I loved 2-4 when I played them on the Genesis and even liked PSO on my Dreamcast using my dial up modem.  :lol: 

21 hours ago, Fez said:

I'm on windows 10 as well and boot manager never comes up as an option for me. It just automatically boots into windows.

Have you tried messing around with the boot order of your HDs in BIOS? It could be that your non-ssd hd is set to load before the ssd and might be causing the computer to fail in booting windows correctly.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I went pretty hard on the story and strangers missions until I hit chapter 6, then I slowed down to do some crime, some hunting and various other side activities.

Alligators can be found in the swamps around St Denis, if you're on chapter 4 you should be able to find them easily. They are everywhere in the swamps.

37 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

I went pretty hard on the story and strangers missions until I hit chapter 6, then I slowed down to do some crime, some hunting and various other side activities.

Alligators can be found in the swamps around St Denis, if you're on chapter 4 you should be able to find them easily. They are everywhere in the swamps.

Yeah, not that far yet. 

How does one properly throw/toss people? I tried dropping people off of a cliff, but I'd fall with them a lot of the time. 

22 hours ago, Fez said:

I can never figure out which of those sites are legit and helpful and which are just a waste of time.

In the meantime, I'm just leaving my PC on and hoping it doesn't need to restart again for a long time. Not that I think it'll fix itself over time; I just don't want to deal with this anymore for a while. Especially over the holidays when I have plenty of time where I want to just relax and play some games.

I'm also wondering if the problem is with the SATA cable or power cable (or the PSU itself) connected to the SSD. One of times that the Windows Boot Manager was missing, the entire SSD wasn't being detected by the BIOS (not just in the boot priority list, but straight up in the list of SATA connections), which doesn't seem right at all. Of course, the other time, the SSD was being detected and it was just the boot manager that wasn't. There's too many damn variables involved and I don't know how to start excluding any of them.

Tom's Hardware is pretty legit. I've had a few questions answered over over the years.

23 hours ago, Fez said:

How old is your motherboard? Maybe you need to do a BIOS update. A couple of years ago, I had trouble installing a SSD, the PC wouldn't even boot. It actually would boot if I removed my graphics card, which was also fairly new. Turns out I had to do a BIOS update.

@Fez

BIOS update is a good suggestion. That said, I wonder if there may be something with windows thinking it has multiple OSs installed.

If you type msconfig on the Windows search, hit enter, and then go to boot, what does it look like? Is there just a single entry for Windows 10, with it being the current and default OS?

55 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

How old is your motherboard? Maybe you need to do a BIOS update. A couple of years ago, I had trouble installing a SSD, the PC wouldn't even boot. It actually would boot if I removed my graphics card, which was also fairly new. Turns out I had to do a BIOS update.

The motherboard is four and a half years old. I hadn't thought of updating the BIOS, but that does seem like a possibility. I'd be worried about bricking the system though, so I'd prefer not to do that unless I'm certain. 

43 minutes ago, Ran said:

@Fez

BIOS update is a good suggestion. That said, I wonder if there may be something with windows thinking it has multiple OSs installed.

If you type msconfig on the Windows search, hit enter, and then go to boot, what does it look like? Is there just a single entry for Windows 10, with it being the current and default OS?

Just checked and yeah, there's just a single entry, being the current and default.

7 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

SOMA any good? It's free this month with PS Plus so I'm downloading it. I haven't played a survival horror since Until Dawn, so I hope it's fun.

I liked it a lot, although it's more walking simulator than survival horror, as you can't really fight back at all if I recall correctly.  Great atmosphere and interesting story.  I liked the ending a lot too.  Most story-based games tend to fumble the ball at the one yard line (I can count on one hand the number of great video game endings I can remember, and it's mostly just Last of Us, Spec Ops: The Line, and Metal Gear Solid 3), so it's always nice to see a game finish strong.

I seem to be stuck. I have completed all the yellow missions in chapter 3, or at least I think I have, but I can’t get to the next part of the game. What’s the last mission I need to do?

Also, please tell me I can kill Dutch at some point. I want to be the boss man!!!

Archived