Why did Joffrey like the Hound so much?

Brandon Ice-Eyes

Sandor gave him a taste of power, no one dare deny his requests while the hound was present. It earned him the instant respect of the rest of the nobility around him besides Tyrion obviously and this is only because Tyrions knows the hound dare not touch him. Also the hound followed Joffrey orders. 

1 hour ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

So I’ve never understood why Joffrey was so fond of the hound, Sandor Clegane. Can somebody explain please?

Because the Hound was a good dog who did what was asked of him.  He killed the butcher's son for the Lannisters.  He was a Lannister hound who did their bidding without much thought.  

1 hour ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

So I’ve never understood why Joffrey was so fond of the hound, Sandor Clegane. Can somebody explain please?

The hound is one of the most feared warriors in all the realm and utterly loyal ,he allows jofferys dark  bullying side to be nurtured ,he has a similar outlook  to joff in many things such as killing and  mocking and bullying  the weak and his jokes (esp at tyrions expense) match his cruel sense of humour 

If I recall properly, the only person who stated that Joffrey was "fond" of the Hound was Cersei, and she's a bad judge of character, and doesn't even seem to know anything about her own children. She thought that Tommen would have been terrified of the Hound (were he the Master at Arms), but Tommen never showed any such reaction.

I think we can discount any idea of Joffrey's "fondness." The Hound made Joffrey feel like a big man, and reinforced the idea that Joff could be a total "C U next Tuesday" without penalty.

6 hours ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

This is one of those give a personal opinion threads.

IMHO Joff was not fond of the Hound. The Hound was a dog his mother assigned to protect him --- as in body guard.  Sandor for some reason answered to Cersei. Sandor for whatever reason was loyal to House Lannister and did his job.

5 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Sandor for some reason answered to Cersei. Sandor for whatever reason was loyal to House Lannister and did his job.

We know from Ned's thoughts at the Tourney of the Hand that after Gregor and his father went hunting, and the father somehow died, Sandor packed up and left that very day. He would have been 12. I theorize that Sandor assumed Gregor would be looking to kill him, too, to eliminate any competition to claim the Clegane towerhouse. If that was the case, 12yo Sandor would probably have gone straight to the only person he knew who had the power to protect him - house Clegane's Liege Lord, Tywin Lannister. Sandor would have pledged his sword and claimed protection; thereafter, he would have been Tywin's dog.

Some time after Cersei ascended to King's Landing, Robert, and the queenship, and I presume after young Sandor had proved himself in battle, Tywin assigned Sandor to protect his daughter (in part from the crude and violent Robert, I'll bet). Sandor would have thus been Cersei's and would have been hers to command to protect her eldest, most precious son, the Crown Prince.

Well, that's my interpretation.

21 hours ago, zandru said:

We know from Ned's thoughts at the Tourney of the Hand that after Gregor and his father went hunting, and the father somehow died, Sandor packed up and left that very day. He would have been 12. I theorize that Sandor assumed Gregor would be looking to kill him, too, to eliminate any competition to claim the Clegane towerhouse. If that was the case, 12yo Sandor would probably have gone straight to the only person he knew who had the power to protect him - house Clegane's Liege Lord, Tywin Lannister. Sandor would have pledged his sword and claimed protection; thereafter, he would have been Tywin's dog.

Some time after Cersei ascended to King's Landing, Robert, and the queenship, and I presume after young Sandor had proved himself in battle, Tywin assigned Sandor to protect his daughter (in part from the crude and violent Robert, I'll bet). Sandor would have thus been Cersei's and would have been hers to command to protect her eldest, most precious son, the Crown Prince.

Well, that's my interpretation.

Thanks. Appreciate your thoughts especially since the thoughts are story based.

Of course Joff liked Sandor, he sang his praise constantly. He even elevated him to the KG. 

Id even venture to say that Sandor liked Joff.

Why not? Theyre both funny and they look out for each other. Sandors a very impressive warrior, a good role model for a medieval boy

Archived