Do people actually believe Bolt-on?

Brandon Ice-Eyes

So if you haven’t seen the Bolt-on theory, then I’d suggest you’d go give it a read as it’s quite intriguing, yet I can’t help but feel that it’s just frankly absurd. Yes Roose Bolton looks ageless with eyes, grey chips of ice but I really don’t believe that he’s not a human. I feel that the theory is really scraping an empty barrel, so I’m curious - does anyone actually believe it or do people just humour the theory to pass the time whilst we wait for WoW?

No, it's rubbish. Although there must be some readers who do believe it. After all, there are far more outrageous ideas out there, and many have supoorters. 

Also, I may be misremembering... but didn't Martin already debunked it?

1 hour ago, EloImFizzy said:

Its a fun theory, but I don't believe it. I think the Boltons will be wiped out pretty quickly in TWoW.

As far as I can tell Ramsay is definitely meeting his end at Winterfell early in Winds. The only question is whether Roose goes down with him or whether he escapes for a while.

2 hours ago, EloImFizzy said:

I think the Boltons will be wiped out pretty quickly in TWoW.

I agree. After all, as far as we know, there's only two of 'em left. Moreover, living around Ramsey (at Winterfell, at the moment), Fat Walda is truly in grave danger.

The one thing the theory explains is why Roose never remarried after the death of his son. He needed Ramsey as an heir to scoop out an live in once Roose needed to pass on and for whatever reason his trueborn son wouldn't do.

Surely remarrying and hoping for another son is better for House Bolton than leaving Ramsey the head-case incharge after himself.

I think it's fair to say that there's at least something going on with Roose, potentially supernatural, and it seems like he's at least inspired by Count Dracula. With this in mind I don't think it's such an absurd theory, but the fact that it hasn't really been setup at all, and would pretty much come out of left field, makes it hard for me to get on board with.

Roose being some kind of long living face changer is not likely to be true.  The Boltons flayed their enemies.  Yes they did this.  The practice must have begun during their war with the Starks.  The Starks were flayed because they warged animals.  The hunter guts and skins his game.  

1 hour ago, By Odin's Beard said:

The Bolt-on hypothesis is straight out of Lovecraft,

So that proves it! George RR was a big Lovecraft fan, and this is yet another tribute!

(No, I don't actually believe that Roose Bolton is an undead vampire. I couldn't resist the Lovecraft connection, though.)

9 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

The one thing the theory explains is why Roose never remarried after the death of his son.

Domeric Bolton died at 297 AC. Robb summons his banners to march South at 298 AC. Of course Roose had the intention to remarry, and that's the first thing he did when he had the opportunity with Fat Walda.

1 minute ago, The hairy bear said:

that's the first thing he did when he had the opportunity with Fat Walda.

Seems to me like it would be prudent to get hitched before going to war and considering the long distances in the North and the whole "last of the true borne line" Roose sending his troops first then joining the fighting later seems like the safer option.

@Ylath's Snout

You don't improvise a wedding with one of the most prominent lords of the North. It should take long rounds of negotiations, specially for someone such as Roose who is cautious and thoughtful.

It's not as if Roose Bolton intended to put himself at risk at any point of the war. He knew that he would also command from the rear, that he would not engage in any kind of heroics, and that he would flee or surrender at the first sign of numerical inferiority. He was not going to sacrifices anything for Robb.

Also, Roose may have also thought that after the war itself was a good opportunity for a better match. Either because he could broke one with a Southorn family (as it happened), or because some other less prudent lord got killed in battle (Lady Hornwood could have been an interesting bride for Roose, if Ramsay had not murdered her before)

1 minute ago, The hairy bear said:

You don't improvise a wedding with one of the most prominent lords of the North. It should take long rounds of negotiations, specially for someone such as Roose who is cautious and thoughtful.

Normally I'd agree but war is never risk free. Can't hide from or surrender to all the real killers of medieval warfare. disease and starvation. Also as a lord Roose might not have to worry about starvation as early as his men.

Like I said, asking for time to arrange a marriage while sending troops south seems like the a safer option for Roose and pretty reasonable to Roob.

14 hours ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

So if you haven’t seen the Bolt-on theory, then I’d suggest you’d go give it a read as it’s quite intriguing, yet I can’t help but feel that it’s just frankly absurd. Yes Roose Bolton looks ageless with eyes, grey chips of ice but I really don’t believe that he’s not a human. I feel that the theory is really scraping an empty barrel, so I’m curious - does anyone actually believe it or do people just humour the theory to pass the time whilst we wait for WoW?

I had to do some research to understand what are you talking about. So, Roose Bolton is an ageless vampire who has always been there, etc.   Maybe you could do a better summary than me.  Of course there is something alien in Roose Bolton. It is part of his characterization as villain, someone who has successfully got rid of all of his humanity.

I think, it's a funny theory and I quite like it, which is not the same to say  that I think it's true. I don't think it is, there is no evidence to support it.

Now, there is a catch. If you ever want to write a terror story involving vampires and such, there is no better setting in Westeros than the hills, mountain and forests around the Dreadfort. If fact, I think it is possible to do it without altering anything we know about the main series. Hell, we even have direwolves (the Starks) to fight the vampires.

19 hours ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

Roose's eyes are not grey. They are white, alternately described as the color of milk, like two chips of ice, two pale moons, pale as morning mist -- basically, his irises are about the same color as the whites of his eyes. The thing is, nobody can have eyes like this and still be able to see. Even albinos have pink or even red eyes. So that's point one in favor of Roose not being entirely human.

Then we add all the other oddities about Roose: he is virtually hairless, never sweats, is able to silence big boisterous louts like the Greatjon with barely a whisper, and he is the only character who leeches himself on a regular basis; what better way to prevent the blood from pooling in his hands and feet?

Then we have the whole Domeric thing. Sorry, but even the most vile, evil lord on the planet still values his house, his titles and his legacy. So the idea that Roose would not only pardon his bastard son for murdering his true heir -- a man who would have done nothing but bring fame and glory to House Bolton and probably gotten an exceedingly profitable marriage -- but then arrange for his legitimacy and elevate him to become Roose's own liege lord...? That's not evil, that is exceedingly stupid; and Roose is anything but stupid.

And your own namesake tells part of this tale. Brandon Ice-Eyes was probably Roose.

I know it sounds crazy and I'm not expecting anyone to buy into it. But when Roose dies, check and see if Ramsay doesn't suddenly calm down, start speaking in whispers and leeching himself. I think you'll have your answer.

1 hour ago, John Suburbs said:

Roose's eyes are not grey. They are white, alternately described as the color of milk, like two chips of ice, two pale moons, pale as morning mist -- basically, his irises are about the same color as the whites of his eyes. The thing is, nobody can have eyes like this and still be able to see. Even albinos have pink or even red eyes. So that's point one in favor of Roose not being entirely human.

Then we add all the other oddities about Roose: he is virtually hairless, never sweats, is able to silence big boisterous louts like the Greatjon with barely a whisper, and he is the only character who leeches himself on a regular basis; what better way to prevent the blood from pooling in his hands and feet?

Then we have the whole Domeric thing. Sorry, but even the most vile, evil lord on the planet still values his house, his titles and his legacy. So the idea that Roose would not only pardon his bastard son for murdering his true heir -- a man who would have done nothing but bring fame and glory to House Bolton and probably gotten an exceedingly profitable marriage -- but then arrange for his legitimacy and elevate him to become Roose's own liege lord...? That's not evil, that is exceedingly stupid; and Roose is anything but stupid.

And your own namesake tells part of this tale. Brandon Ice-Eyes was probably Roose.

I know it sounds crazy and I'm not expecting anyone to buy into it. But when Roose dies, check and see if Ramsay doesn't suddenly calm down, start speaking in whispers and leeching himself. I think you'll have your answer.

You forgot to add that roose is ok with ramsay killing his kids with fat walda. If I am not mistaken there is a dialogue in dance about that. That makes no sense...

More than his appearance or peculiar tastes it is his actions that make him seem not human.

Archived