Great lord wards

Stormking902

Depends on who I am. But assuming I get to put great house children with the wards of my choice, I’d want to get Shireen away from Selyse ans Stannis and have her fostered with House Stark. Arya and Shireen would bond over being outsiders and she’d be happier in Winterfell than Dragonstone.

Robin Arryn with the Stark's from a very early age. Anything to get him away from Lysa. Shireen to Storm's End. She seems to get on well with Edric in canon so fostering that relationship would be good. Bran wants to be a knight, send him to Jon Arryn, the Blackfish or the Tyrell's.

Not a great house and couldn't possibly happen, but I'd have Randyll Tarly take Joffrey and beat some sense into him. )

In reality though it's not like there's that many options for exchange between great houses only. There's the Stark-Tully-Arryn-Stannis-Robert alliance. But Arryn-Stannis(not Shireen though?)-Robert are all in King's Landing anyway and Edmure isn't wed and doesn't have any children. So it's either Starks who send some of their children to KL, or Arryn/Stannis/Robert send their children to Starks.
Tyrell children are too old and nobody trusts Martells anyway and they claim to hate each other, so nothing there either in terms of mutual exchange. Though if we're talking of taking their children as hostages since they fought on the wrong side, it could've been done, but it wasn't Robert's policy.
As for one-sided exchange, then, I guess Shireen and Sweetrobin could've benefited from being warded with Starks, but Lysa would flip and Stannis didn't seem to have much interest in the environment his daughter is being raised in.

I think the main offenders are the Stark family. In the previous generation, Brandon was fostered at Barrowton and Eddard to the Eyrie. But none of the Starks kids were. Perhaps that could be explained due to Jon Snow's presence. Eddard didn't dare to propose Catelyn that any of her kids had to go away, when Jon was allowed to stay.

I'm not really seeing other big problems among the other great houses:

• After losing Theon, it's obvious that Greyjoy wouldn't send Asha away.
  • Edmure could have easily been fostered after Cat and Lysa left. When the series start, he would be old enough to have returned home.
  • Cersei went to the royal court, and Jaime was fostered by Sumner Crakehall.
  • Loras Tyrell was sent to Storm's End to Renly's "care". Surely the older brothers had been fostered somewhere else too.
  • Robert Arryn was six when the books start. Normally. it's probably a little too young to be sent away for fostering (Eddard went to the Eyrie at eight). It's worth reminding, though, that Jon Arryn planned to send him to Stannis. It was for this reason that Lysa decided to go ahead and murder him with tears of Lys.
  • Quentyn had been sent away, and Doran explains what Mellario thought of that.
  • And I don't see Stannis sending Shireen away as a ward. He seems to be ashamed of her, and wouldn't want to her face to be seen publicly.

2 hours ago, wia said:

Not a great house and couldn't possibly happen, but I'd have Randyll Tarly take Joffrey and beat some sense into him.

Even Randyll couldnt save Joffrey unless he was taken at age 8 lol. I dont think Randyll could lay a hand on him being the problem unfortunatly.

My picks would be 

North: Eddard fosters Small Jon, the Hornwood heir, Manderlys grand daugher as a cup bearer to lady Stark, and perhaps an heir of one of the mountain clans.

Riverlands: Hoster is so old he could have fostered numerous bannermans children but I have to ideas here because we dont know much about Hoster besides hes an asshole pretty much.

Vale: Jon Arryn was in kingslanding and it would have been a perfect time to bring one of Yohns sons with him to see the capital and its inner workings, also a couple more heirs to secure loyalty.

Reach: Mace could have fostered a Florent to perhaps mold Brightwater keeps heir to there fancy, a Rowan heir, they already have Hightower, Redwyn through blood.

Westerlands: Tywin really doesnt need wards his bannerman all fear him enough to be loyal. 

Stormlands: Renly already had Ser Loras as a ward of sorts, but a few more young heirs of his bannerman would be nice, also he should have his cousins (Estermonts) around more. 

Dorne: Doran should have exchanged Quentyn for an Yronwood, and a few more young heirs as well. 

17 minutes ago, Stormking902 said:

Even Randyll couldnt save Joffrey unless he was taken at age 8 lol. I dont think Randyll could lay a hand on him being the problem unfortunatly.

Yes, but how satisfying would it be to see Joffrey get the full Tarly upbringing experience. )))

3 hours ago, wia said:

Yes, but how satisfying would it be to see Joffrey get the full Tarly upbringing experience. )))

Love your thinking here. Now I can't stop thinking of Joff with different wildly unlikely but morally satisfying foster parents.

Joff with khal Drogo going down faster than Viserys.

Joff with Mance being all bitchy right up until Varamyrs polar bear gives him five across the eyes.

Joff in Dorne learning about Vipers the hard way.

Joff with Balon Greyjoy, getting called out for being "dressed up like a whore".

If we recall at the beginning bran was going to kings landing with Ned and was planning to begin squiring for someone because he dreamed of being in the kings guard. 

Mean while its definitely an opportunity that grrm missed out on to add intrigue but considering all the thought that went into making the story/novel I can see how he missed such a small thing.

12 hours ago, wia said:

8 hours ago, Sigella said:

Love your thinking here. Now I can't stop thinking of Joff with different wildly unlikely but morally satisfying foster parents.

Joff with khal Drogo going down faster than Viserys.

Joff with Mance being all bitchy right up until Varamyrs polar bear gives him five across the eyes.

Joff in Dorne learning about Vipers the hard way.

Joff with Balon Greyjoy, getting called out for being "dressed up like a whore".

Joff with Greatjon would be bloody amazing. See what happens when you try to cut open one of his cats. Joff'd be last seen sailing over the wall.

House Stark, where the gap seems to be with the great lords and fostering, I would prob imagine the following:

Robb - prob best to keep Robb at Winterfell under Ned, and close to Jon to keep them as close as brothers. 

Sansa - to Kings Landing with the royal family (without knowing how f'd up they all are)

Arya - keep in Winterfell

Bran - to the Manderly's

Rickon - eventually to Glover's, Umber's or Karstark's.

And bring a Mormont to Winterfell, Lyanna perhaps. 

So if I were Robert (or more likely Jon Arryn as he gave half a dang) I'd try to get some wards from Dorne and the Reach to help maintain the peace and put the past behind the kingdom.

I would assume that no one would be willing to send away their heir. More so to old enemies. That said I think that that Doran would send his children directly to Robert in a hundred years so I'd hope that Honorable Ned might have the credibility for a swap.

In short the deal I'd push for is a swap between Dorne and the North, maybe Quentyn for Sansa?

Archived