Would a family therapist help the Greyjoys out?

honorable men

Theon and Asha had daddy issues.  Euron is a sadists.  Victarion has anger management issues.  Aeron has delusions of grandeur and prone to hallucinations.  But there is hope.  It's never too late.   Help is just a raven's day away.  The first step is admitting they have a problem.  This is a family crying out for help.  They are culturally and economically disadvantaged.   They need our sympathy.  We should refrain from judging them. NOT!  

12 minutes ago, Damsel in Distress said:

Stark

Really? you think the Starky bunch needs therapy more than the Lannister?

Sure once Ned gets chopped everyone gets more than a reasonable chunk of trauma but wouldn't say the Targs deserve this slot a whole lot more?

Cat's treatment of Jon and his resulting issues are a problem sure but not really that big a deal compared to some of the mentalists in Westeros. 

11 minutes ago, Damsel in Distress said:

Theon and Asha had daddy issues.  Euron is a sadists.  Victarion has anger management issues.  Aeron has delusions of grandeur and prone to hallucinations.  But there is hope.  It's never too late.   Help is just a raven's day away.  The first step is admitting they have a problem.  This is a family crying out for help.  They are culturally and economically disadvantaged.   They need our sympathy.  We should refrain from judging them. NOT!  

Asha wanted/left Theon dead so she would be the natural heir and now wants him back so he can nullify the kings moot, I still feel we still havent scratched the surface. yikes

Just now, Ylath's Snout said:

Really? you think the Starky bunch needs therapy more than the Lannister?

Sure once Ned gets chopped everyone gets more than a reasonable chunk of trauma but wouldn't say the Targs deserve this slot a whole lot more?

Cat's treatment of Jon and his resulting issues are a problem sure but not really that big a deal compared to some of the mentalists in Westeros. 

I disagree.  So dad arranges a suitable marriage by their standards.  Lyanna disobeys and runs off with a married man.  Big brother rides to King's Landing and threatens the king.  How smart is that.  Robb breaks a sworn promise to his most important ally.  This is oathbreaking.  He kills a kin and a bannerman over prisoners.  Catelyn disobeys and releases their bargaining chip.  Sansa betrays her dad over a boy.  Arya is a tiny little murderer.  Jon is an oathbreaker.  Absolutely this family is screwed in the head.  They talk up honor and yet their behaviors are anything but.  Their self-perception is so far away from reality.  They don't  have a solid grip on reality.  

Just now, Damsel in Distress said:

Lyanna disobeys and runs off with a married man.

That's assuming she went willingly with the understanding that Rhaegar wanted a child with her 

But let's assume she did go willingly and knowingly. That was a legit family problem. Clearly her trust in her father to make good match for her was very low and the only way out was to run away. I could deffenetly see a family therapist improving the situation there.

The fact that Robert might have been the only lord outside of Dorne to allow her to do the things her enjoyed is just an extra bit of sadness.

1 minute ago, Damsel in Distress said:

How smart is that.  Robb breaks a sworn promise to his most important ally.  This is oathbreaking.  He kills a kin and a bannerman over prisoners.  Catelyn disobeys and releases their bargaining chip.  

Ehh, all of this is more lacking political smarts and impulse control in very bad situations. Not really something a family therapist can help with. 

4 minutes ago, Damsel in Distress said:

Sansa betrays her dad over a boy.

I don't think Sansa understood that was going on in King's Landing or how dire the consequences would be. It isn't like she ran to Cersei and begged her to kill Ned. I hardly think that is a psychological problem just naivete.

Arya is a tiny little murderer.

Arya being a killer in and of itself isn't all that problematic considering what a violent and dangerous world. Her father performed on his own excursions on the regular. That said her father's death and all the other shit she has had dealt has obviously traumatized her.

Jon is an oathbreaker.

Not a family dynamic or psychological problem. Just making a decision you disagree with.

17 minutes ago, Damsel in Distress said:

Absolutely this family is screwed in the head.

The one thing the Starks got screwed by was fate and the consequences of their actions.

Fumbling the ball in high stress situations isn't anywhere near the sort of toxic family dynamics and mental health problems that say the Lannisters and Targs have.

I dont think a therapist would help Greyjoy much. I mean Victarion need someone to talk to, but hes got the dusky woman. And I think she does help, Victarion gets to talk about his self esteem, his envy of his brothers, his marriage problems. Itd be great if she could talk back, but for what its worth Vics getting on fine. His brothers are kinda nuts and Im not sure how much help the Dusky Woman, or someone who can speak, would help. His niece needs someone to talk to also, but I think her reuniting with her brother will be great for her mental health. This brother, thats a therapists dream.

3. Robert Arryn needs help. I mean, his stepdad killed his mom. Hes in love with his stepdads daughter, and if that wasnt bad enough its actually his first cousin. Not that hes ever been mentally healthy, but I think the right therapist might help him with his breast milk problem, at least his family problems if he shares a session with Petyr Sansa and Harry. (Maybe some Tyrion too)

2. Crasters family could have a talk. I mean, before most of them died. Or anytime really. Gilly seems sound enough, she has issues with her abandonment of her child but thats perfectly understandable. But she doesn't share much trauma from her sister wives or Craster, shes probably repressing some stuff, either that or she has a vast understanding of her brothers fate, which also merits a therapist.

1. Is there any doubt? That twincest, shits big. And what do the kids think about all that? Hearing Ned say Joffreys no king, sounds traumatizing. For the twins though, Im worried about their break up. It seems unhealthy to be in a lifelong relationship and them split after 30 or so years but still work together. Then theres the whole Tyrion issue, who "killed their mother" is the valnquor and finds Shae in his fathers bed, as if Tysha wasnt traumatic enough, well the crossbow will be. Lord Robert may need to be patient if he expects Tyrion to join Arryns family session

1 minute ago, Hugorfonics said:

Sure it does. A rapist and murderer could heal their mind and rehabilitate

Nope.
First, a family therapist does not possess the training to deal with their psychosis. At best therapy would only help them understand why.  And barring a westerosi sex offender registry, there would be no long term incentive for them to keep it up . 

7 hours ago, Damsel in Distress said:

I disagree.  So dad arranges a suitable marriage by their standards.  Lyanna disobeys and runs off with a married man.  Big brother rides to King's Landing and threatens the king.  How smart is that.  Robb breaks a sworn promise to his most important ally.  This is oathbreaking.  He kills a kin and a bannerman over prisoners.  Catelyn disobeys and releases their bargaining chip.  Sansa betrays her dad over a boy.  Arya is a tiny little murderer.  Jon is an oathbreaker.  Absolutely this family is screwed in the head.  They talk up honor and yet their behaviors are anything but.  Their self-perception is so far away from reality.  They don't  have a solid grip on reality.  

The Starks at least have normal family problems. Sister disobeys father and runs off with harp-playing hippy who talks about how they need to fulfil the prophecy by banging; leather jacket wearing brother shoots his mouth off and gets the whole family into trouble with the law; teenage son marries first girl he sleeps with because he's in wuv; wife arrests dwarf (ok, that's never happened in my family, but I hear it's quite common), and hates her step son; daughter has a crush, and thinks it's the most important thing in the world, so betrays family...

Compare that to the families that are burning each others' faces off, tying each other to the prows of ships, shooting each other in the groin, incest, molestation, forced participation in gang rape...and that's all pretty standard stuff.

In fairness though, it's for that reason that the Starks could benefit from a bit of family therapy. Cat and Ned's problems could probably be solved by a bit of mediated frank conversation. Jon just needs a hug from cat. Sansa and Robb just need some upfront conversations about how their new tingly feelings are perfectly natural, and not the most important things in the world. Arya just needs to hit a doll with "SANSA" written on its forehead.

The Boltons, Greyjoys, Cleganes and Lannisters are a bit beyond a nice lady called Sandra asking them to express their feelings to each other.

1 hour ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

There are Maesters in the Citadel that question her holistic approach.

Considering the Maseters' are the primary caregivers to all the families mention and their pretty godawful results maybe they need to let other people have a try?

Archived