Would a family therapist help the Greyjoys out?

honorable men

3 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

I would leave out the Freys.  They are actually a normally functioning bunch.  Much better than their noble peers.  The old man supports his bastards and teaches them to value family.  He even kept the retarded Jinglebells around when another father might have drowned the boy.  He's a better man than Hoster.  He gave Walda a very generous dowry.  He tries to set up the best foster families for his grandkids.  He's one of the best patriarchs in Westeros. 

That's for Walder Frey. His successive generations are murdering each other and keeping score of where they are in the succession. Even without pissing off the rest of Westeros, his house is about to disintegrate.

On 10/7/2018 at 3:27 PM, Aline de Gavrillac said:

Here is one such therapy session for a Stark:

Maester Sigmund, Ph.D., M.D., DDS, DVM, & ED.S :  How are you feeling today?

Arya Stark snaps back:  Tired.

Maester Sigmund:  Did you sleep well, child?

Arya Stark:  I got up and howled at the moon.  Padded over to the Heart Tree, squatted, and peed.  Then got back to howling at the moon.

Maester Sigmund:  And pray tell me, child.  Why made you do such a thing?

Arya Stark:  I needed to pee, dumbass.  

Maester Sigmund:  I meant howl at the moon.  Why did you howl at the moon?

Arya Stark:  It was full.  Why else.

Maester Sigmund:  Did you feel better after, er, taking a leak?

Arya Stark:  No.  I still get the urge to murder people.  

Maester Sigmund:  You have anger issues.  How did it all start?  What could bring a child to feel such terrible things?

Arya Stark:  It all started when the other girls started calling me Horseface.  Last christmas, I got hay nuts from my sister.

Maester Sigmund:  And the bastard.  What about him?  You two are close.  You even look alike.  Tell me about him.

Arya Stark:  The weirwoods talk to me.   They tell me we're going to die and become a wolf pack some day.

Set Arya up for shock therapy.  Not the surprise kind but the electrical kind.

21 hours ago, Jaehaerys Tyrell said:

Euron and Victarion both need to be locked up, but Theon and Aeron could certainly benefit from some therapy, although not necessarily family therapy.

The Baratheons, Martells, Starks and Tullys are good examples of families that could benefit from some family therapy, given their “reasonable” issues 

That would depend on which family member.  Renly can be helped.  Robb, Ned, and Catelyn can be helped.  Arya is too far gone.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2018 at 8:06 PM, The First Bloodrider said:

Yup

4.  Tully.  Hoster forced his daughter to abort.  That's fucked up.

5.  Manderly.  Eating the dead and enjoying it.  That's also fucked up.

Yeah that is f*cked up.  Manderly in particular.  

On 10/7/2018 at 3:27 PM, Aline de Gavrillac said:

Here is one such therapy session for a Stark:

Maester Sigmund, Ph.D., M.D., DDS, DVM, & ED.S :  How are you feeling today?

Arya Stark snaps back:  Tired.

Maester Sigmund:  Did you sleep well, child?

Arya Stark:  I got up and howled at the moon.  Padded over to the Heart Tree, squatted, and peed.  Then got back to howling at the moon.

Maester Sigmund:  And pray tell me, child.  Why made you do such a thing?

Arya Stark:  I needed to pee, dumbass.  

Maester Sigmund:  I meant howl at the moon.  Why did you howl at the moon?

Arya Stark:  It was full.  Why else.

Maester Sigmund:  Did you feel better after, er, taking a leak?

Arya Stark:  No.  I still get the urge to murder people.  

Maester Sigmund:  You have anger issues.  How did it all start?  What could bring a child to feel such terrible things?

Arya Stark:  It all started when the other girls started calling me Horseface.  Last christmas, I got hay nuts from my sister.

Maester Sigmund:  And the bastard.  What about him?  You two are close.  You even look alike.  Tell me about him.

Arya Stark:  The weirwoods talk to me.   They tell me we're going to die and become a wolf pack some day.

:D  great!

On 11/9/2018 at 10:37 PM, Jaehaerys Tyrell said:

Euron and Victarion both need to be locked up, but Theon and Aeron could certainly benefit from some therapy, although not necessarily family therapy.

The Baratheons, Martells, Starks and Tullys are good examples of families that could benefit from some family therapy, given their “reasonable” issues 

Victarion isn't that bad. By modern standards, he's screwed up, but as somebody hailing from the Iron Islands, he's only slightly more psychotic than the average warrior.

Euron? No question. He'd pretend to have some sort of social disease until he got bored and cut the therapist's throat.

The Martells don't really have any problems. Unless you count the Sand Snakes, but they're beyond help.

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2018 at 8:52 AM, Brazenburn said:

Victarion isn't that bad. By modern standards, he's screwed up, but as somebody hailing from the Iron Islands, he's only slightly more psychotic than the average warrior.

Euron? No question. He'd pretend to have some sort of social disease until he got bored and cut the therapist's throat.

The Martells don't really have any problems. Unless you count the Sand Snakes, but they're beyond help.

The Martells come in many flavors.  The Sand Snakes are spicy chili pepper kind.  Doran is bitter like lime.  SSs are hot headed and impulsive.  They lack the temperament to wait for the opportune moments to strike.  Doran is too far on the other end of the line.  He's too cautious.  Playing the game of thrones require risk taking.  I will quote a great man from one of my favorite groups

"The things that come to those that wait may be the things left behind by those that got there first."

Steven Tyler

Doran Martell at the most favorable circumstances will get the left overs.  

On 12/4/2018 at 8:52 AM, Brazenburn said:

He beat his wife to death.  For getting raped.  That's Friday 13th bad.  

1.LANNISTERS

Well, yeah. Jaimes's obsession with Cersei (which doesn't even make sense since he was apart from her for a great deal of his childhood) needs fixing. He also needs to be given recognition for the great public service of killing Aerys (why didn't Jaime just say he had wildfire???). He plainly has trauma related to that, as he mentions dissassociating. 

I'm not sure how much Cersei can be helped (I think she's a born psychopath/narcissist) but most of her issues did stem from Tywin's toxic mode of parenting and being abused throughout her marriage. Someone should also give her lessons in politics and administration, because damn does she suck at it. 

Tyrion needs.... He needs society to be upturned basically. Being a dwarf really WAS the source of all his problems. 

Family therapy for all of them, but especially Cersei and Jaime. 

2.BARATHEONS 

This is the great tragedy of ASOIAF, IMO. If the Baratheons had stuck together and not been so dysfunctional all disaster could be averted. Instead, this. 

First of all, Robert. Needs healthier coping mechanisms. Needs not to fuck 14 yo girls. Needs to let go of the past. Needs a better diet. 

Stannis has a clear inferiority/victim complex and some form of aspergers. Also trauma from watching his parents die and the Siege of Storm's End. 

Renly obviously has unresolved childhood trauma on many levels from the Siege of Storm's End which led to his love of luxury and comfort and insouciant approach to life. Also abandonment issues and a pathological need for attention/validation. 

Family therapy needed for all of them. 

3. GREYJOYS

Put them last because I don't think therapy would get to the root of any of their (individual) problems, with the exception of Aeron, who needs a healthier way of dealing with his sexual trauma than drowning himself in the ocean. Balon's core problem is that he's an idiot. Euron is a hopeless case, as is Victarion (though he probably could be given some help with his anger issues and narrow worldview). Family therapy needed for all of them.

EDITED because I forgot about Theon and Asha 

Theon.. well obviously. Dude is like a walking Psych textbook. From PTSD to OCD to Stockholm Syndrome to 527272 different defense mechanisms. Needs huge amounts of therapy. 

Asha actually seems pretty mentally stable, so I'm not sure if she really needs therapy. 

Archived