US Politics: Red, Red Whine

Fragile Bird

13 minutes ago, Fez said:

Saw a tweet from one of the Capitol Hill reporters that staffers in Cornyn's whip office haven't heard yet from *four* Republican senators about Kavanaugh. Three are obvious, but I've no idea who the fourth might be. I'm sure whoever it is will vote 'aye,' but I wonder who's dragging their heels?

I might've guessed Sasse, but he was as gung-ho as the rest of the Judiciary members (other than Flake) when that vote had happened.

Heller. Saw some polling that indicates voting to confirm will hurt him electorally. 

(this is just a guess, no hard info). 

Trump: Great to be here in Rochester! Great to be back. crowd cheers

Trump: So Kavanaugh. cheers from crowd Yeah, Kavanaugh. There's been some developments.

Trump: I nominated him. Great judge. Outstanding judge. In fact he was so good the Democrats couldn't even find a reason to block him. So you know what they did? The Democrats - and I say this - and I've dealt with it - the Democrats are very dishonest people. So you know what they did? They found a woman to say he'd done something 36 years ago. 36 years. boos from crowd

Trump: Yeah. I don't know where they found her. This woman. A lunatic asylum maybe. laughter A mental hospital. So she tells a story, but she can't keep her story straight. 'Nope, it was one beer.' 'Oh, good. How did you get home?' 'I don't remember.' 'How did you get there?' 'I don't remember.' 'Where is the place?' 'I don't remember.' 'How many years ago was it?' Trump makes confushed face 'I don't know. I don't know. I don't know.'" roars of laughter from crowd

Trump: So you know what I said? I said lets do an FBI investigation. Find out who is telling the truth. And I told the FBI - great people by the way - I told them 'Take all the time you need'. I told them to talk to whoever they wanted. Just get it done right. I told them to take as long as they wanted, but you know what? You know what? They didn't even need a week. They were done in five days. And you know what they found? You know what the FBI found...? leaning close into mic

Trump: She made it up. roars from crowd

Trump: She made it up! She lied! She made the whole thing up. That's what the FBI found. Not a shred of truth to any of it. That's what the FBI said.

Trump: A very dishonest woman. scattered chanting from crowd

Trump: What's that...? See. See they know what we do to dishonest women.

crowd chanting: "Lock her up. Lock her up."

Trump: Lets hear it!

crowd chanting: LOCK HER UP! LOCK HER UP! LOCK HER UP!

The rapist in-chief people

42 minutes ago, Fez said:

Saw a tweet from one of the Capitol Hill reporters that staffers in Cornyn's whip office haven't heard yet from *four* Republican senators about Kavanaugh. Three are obvious, but I've no idea who the fourth might be. I'm sure whoever it is will vote 'aye,' but I wonder who's dragging their heels?

I might've guessed Sasse, but he was as gung-ho as the rest of the Judiciary members (other than Flake) when that vote had happened.

Word is this weekend is Steve Daines' daughter's wedding. Can he vote if he's not there?

Kavanaugh has written an op-ed that appears in the WSJ, in which he says his testimony reflected his frustrations and he may have become too emotional. And that he's an independent, impartial judge, not a partisan.

Doesn't this last minute appeal to consider him an upright kinda judge speak to the vote being a helluva a lot closer than what the Republicans have been saying? The Republicans have been doing a victory dance all day.

I guess having a retired Supreme Court justice come out and say don't appoint him may have more impact than you think.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/i-am-an-independent-impartial-judge-1538695822

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Kavanaugh has written an op-ed that appears in the WSJ, in which he says his testimony reflected his frustrations and he may have become too emotional. And that he's an independent, impartial judge, not a partisan.

Doesn't this last minute appeal to consider him an upright kinda judge speak to the vote being a helluva a lot closer than what the Republicans have been saying? The Republicans have been doing a victory dance all day.

I guess having a retired Supreme Court justice come out and say don't appoint him may have more impact than you think.

Writing this editorial should be enough to not confirm him.  What's next, is he going take out TV ads saying to call tour senator and urge her to vote Yes?

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Word is this weekend is Steve Daines' daughter's wedding. Can he vote if he's not there?

No, the Senate requires senators to be present in the chamber to vote, but Daines isn't a problem unless he actually is a 'no' vote (which I highly, highly doubt). If Republicans are one vote short without him (e.g. if Murkowski is the only no vote) they can delay the Saturday vote or hold it open for hours and hours until Daines comes back to DC (which a thing there's actually precedent for doing). And if every other Republican is a yes vote, they can just have the Saturday vote with Pence breaking the tie.

Gardner is interesting, if that report is true (he could just be trying to appease the people in the room and didn't mean it). I don't think of him as any sort of moderate (except on marijuana), and, even though he may be nervous about the Colorado general electorate being too blue, he's not up for re-election this year (and in 2020 everything will overshadowed by Trump vs. whoever anyway). So I don't know why he'd decide to be different from the other Republican senators in similar situations. It's true that he has mostly kept his mouth shut through this whole process though.

23 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

He's such a sniveling little shit. Hopefully he is an alcoholic so he can drink himself to an early grave.

Their health care is so good that he'll be well taken care and not die early.  And shoot, we the tax payers will pay for his periodic detoxes.

I am so sick, sick from this.  Not surprised, not shocked, not in the least.  This is what the nazi, fascist, sexist, racist, bigoted, corrupt, criminal, lying, greedy, treasonous, plundering, souless rethugs have taught us to expect from them.  But I am spewing my guts sick -- and no beerbeerbeerilovebeer, no alcohol, nothing else involved.  Just their lying, has me spewing, so sick making it is. In fact, after this week, I may never drink another beer, so sick making that beer lover has made it.

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

Writing this editorial should be enough to not confirm him.  What's next, is he going take out TV ads saying to call tour senator and urge her to vote Yes?

The WSJ is an even bigger fucking piss stain than it already was for letting that bag of shit write that article. No one should be giving him a fucking platform right now.

3 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

It absolutely does in political statements. Trust me, I used to write them, and while I understood the point you were making, it was not done efficiently.

I was trying to walk a line of thought through a thread populated with posters I'm convinced would rage-out the moment they encountered the wrong proper noun. I think I pulled it off which makes it worth having done, but I'll take the criticism.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Well, they always act confident, as we saw with Obamacare repeal. It has sounded pretty bad though today, so who the hell knows what is going on.

Bernie Sanders demands McDonald's pay workers $15 an hour

https://www.axios.com/bernie-sanders-demands-mcdonalds-increase-minimum-wage-a37ef4a4-2e1b-4600-b597-d2245fdc4649.html

McDonald's has become the minimum wage target for Senator Bernie Sanders, who is demanding the fast food chain to pay its workers $15 an hour companywide. In a letter to CEO Steve Easterbrook, Sanders wrote that such move by McDonald's "would set an example for the entire fast food industry to follow."

Washington Post editorial board calls for 'no' vote on Supreme Court nominee for first time in over 30 years

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/410025-washington-post-editorial-board-calls-for-no-vote-on-supreme-court-nominee-for

The Washington Post editorial board called for the U.S. Senate to vote against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, a move it has not made since 1987. 

"Enough has been learned about his partisan instincts that we believe senators must vote 'no,'" The Post editorial board wrote in a new piece published Thursday night. 

"We do not say so lightly. We have not opposed a Supreme Court nominee, liberal or conservative, since Robert H. Bork in 1987."

The editorial board went on to state its issues with Kavanaugh as a nominee, adding that one element of the saga over his potential confirmation has been forgotten among the sexual misconduct allegations he faces. 

"Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee refused to ask for all the potentially relevant documents from his time serving in the George W. Bush White House," the board writes. "The reason was not principled but political: Though they had kept a Supreme Court seat vacant for most of 2016, they wanted to ram through Mr. Kavanaugh before this year’s midterm elections."

The board also noted Kavanaugh's indulged in "hyperpartisan rhetoric" against the left in his testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee last week. 

It noted how Kavanaugh said Democratic opposition against his confirmation was “revenge on behalf of the Clintons."

"He provided neither evidence nor even a plausible explanation for this red-meat partisanship, but he poisoned any sense that he could serve as an impartial judge," the board writes, adding that the doubts give concern to his independence from President Trump. 

Among other things, the board said it wishes the "FBI had been allowed to probe Kavanaugh’s credibility more fully." It also supported Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who accusing him of sexually assaulting her at a high school party in the 1980's, as a "credible witness with no motivation to lie."

"The reason not to vote for Mr. Kavanaugh is that senators have not been given sufficient information to consider him — and that he has given them ample evidence to believe he is unsuited for the job," the board concludes. "The country deserves better."

27 minutes ago, illrede said:

I was trying to walk a line of thought through a thread populated with posters I'm convinced would rage-out the moment they encountered the wrong proper noun. I think I pulled it off which makes it worth having done, but I'll take the criticism.

You are deluded.

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

That’s so fucking gross. Just...so disgustingly gross. Anyone who supported him for any reason, this is what you did. 

Rehashing the 2016 election at this stage of the game is juvenile and does no good. I don't give a shit who supported who in 2016, I care who is going to be supporting who in November, and in 2020.

Archived