US Politics: Red, Red Whine

Fragile Bird

14 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Look man, a yes vote for Kavanaugh essentially means you don’t believe Dr. Ford.

I believe that for most of those voting yes, it doesn't even mean that. They believe her. They just don't care. 

5 hours ago, illrede said:

Well as previously stated it wasn't for everybody.

I feel like it was really just for you. 

5 hours ago, mormont said:

I believe that for most of those voting yes, it doesn't even mean that. They believe her. They just don't care. 

I doubt it. Most of them don’t believe her, but yes, the few that do simply don’t care. And the proof is in the pudding. People who care wouldn’t approve of an investigation that intentionally didn’t interview anyone who could have corroborated the claims, then produce a single 45 page document and give people an hour to read it.

It’s interesting to see that a lot of Republican Senators still don’t know if they have the votes. The thing I keep seeing be reported is that nobody wants to be the 50th vote, but that all the toss ups sans Murkowski are fine being the 51st vote.

Two important tweets:

The vote this morning may not be indicative of how the final vote will go. With Collins planning a 3pm announcement speech, that means she assumes the vote this morning passes (and it will likely require her vote to do so). But if she was planning on supporting Kavanaugh all the way, why wouldn't she just say so before the first vote? 

I could see arguments either way, but the point is, absent statements from the key senators, we don't know for sure what votes this morning mean. Or rather, we don't know for sure what 'aye' votes mean (sometimes senators are sticklers for chamber procedures), we do know that 'no' votes mean they don't want Kavanaugh seated (at least at this time).

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Not sure why Collins is doing what she is doing. If she was going to vote no, she could just tank it now. Unless she plans on voting no and then announce why later. I don't know. This is pretty strange.

I think if she was going to vote yes, she wouldnt be making big announcement about it. I think that she would only want to make a big announcement on the Senate floor if she was a no vote. 

2 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

I think if she was going to vote yes, she wouldnt be making big announcement about it. I think that she would only want to make a big announcement on the Senate floor if she was a no vote. 

You might be right. I really have no idea. Sasse did something similar the other night where he tried to divorce the #metoo movement from Kavanaugh which was basically his justification for voting yes so I can see her doing something similar.

I just don't know why she'd vote yes to move forward with the vote then announce she's voting no. Makes little sense to me.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I just don't know why she'd vote yes to move forward with the vote then announce she's voting no. Makes little sense to me.

Yesterday I felt like his confirmation was a done deal. Now, I feel like its 50/50 at best. Collins will have everyone watching her speech today at 3. 

Manchin is 'undecided' because he doesnt want to be the deciding vote, and he would vote yes if he knew the votes were there. So I am guessing no one knows as of now whether the votes are there for confirmation.

Its like those game theory/riddle questions where you have to figure out where each person is leaning based on incomplete information from other sources.

16 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Not sure why Collins is doing what she is doing. If she was going to vote no, she could just tank it now. Unless she plans on voting no and then announce why later. I don't know. This is pretty strange.

Well, she's a US senator, which means she likes attention and is a stickler for rules so long as they benefit her. And with the filibuster gone, technically a cloture vote means very little. So I guess that's enough. 

But I think there are four options:

1) She votes yes on cloture and will vote yes on final vote. In this case, the floor speech only makes sense if she's been feeling attacked by left and wants to vent about it/defend her decision.

2) She votes yes on cloture and will vote no on final vote (i.e. pulling a McCain). In this case, she's just being a stickler for rules.

3) She votes no on cloture and would vote no if there was a final vote. In this case, it could be a) She wants the attention to explain why she's opposed or b) Explain what needs to happen to get her to yes in the future.

4) She votes no on cloture and would vote yes if there was a final vote. This is the one that would truly make no sense for her. Manchin could potentially do this, since the party caucuses do truly sometimes see the procedural votes as the true test of party loyalty. Back in the day, before he was a national figure (or maybe it is still the case), the agreement Bernie Sanders had with the Democratic caucus was that he would always vote with them on all procedural votes. 

ETA: And we're down to options 1 or 2:

I've also now been reminded that Collins voted in favor of advancing Betsy DeVos out of committee, but then voted against her on the floor vote. So there is a precedent for this even for her.

Though I wouldn't be surprised either if she's also a yes on the final vote.

18 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Again, see my comment above. 50 Senators want to vote for Kavanaugh, but none of the “undecided” Senators want to be the 50th vote.

Cowards.

A fun wrinkle though would be if Murkowski and Flake voted no on the procedural vote and undercut Collins' here. Though maybe she'd actually like that, so that way she never needs to explain herself.

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

A fun wrinkle though would be if Murkowski and Flake voted no on the procedural vote and undercut Collins' here. Though maybe she'd actually like that, so that way she never needs to explain herself.

Flake voted yes.

5 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Flake voted yes.

Ah well. Surprised he didn't make a statement either.

Maybe he'll also be pulling a Collins, though who knows what either will say in the end.

Murkowski voted no though. So all eyes on Collins floor speech I guess.

Manchin also voted for cloture, though I assume he'll be with whatever the majority is on the final vote.

Archived