GRRM regrets killing a character? WHO IS IT???

Legitimate_Bastard

There is already an established thread discussing this topic here:

but I will reiterate my answer - Arys Oakheart. I always thought there was more of his POVs planned, if not written, that were dropped after the five year gap was abandoned. This would explain why he only has one chapter that could have been written from Arrianne's POV.

On 10/2/2018 at 8:48 AM, Trefayne said:

There is already an established thread discussing this topic here:

but I will reiterate my answer - Arys Oakheart. I always thought there was more of his POVs planned, if not written, that were dropped after the five year gap was abandoned. This would explain why he only has one chapter that could have been written from Arrianne's POV.

Good answer.  When I read the question, I immediately thought it might be a POV character that George needed to be 'seeing' a situation that has evolved further than expected, and Arys makes a lot of sense, especially for the reasons you suggest.

5 hours ago, Lady Barbrey said:

Good answer.  When I read the question, I immediately thought it might be a POV character that George needed to be 'seeing' a situation that has evolved further than expected, and Arys makes a lot of sense, especially for the reasons you suggest.

Thanks. This subject has come up a few times recently. I explained it better here:

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:07 AM, House Rootbreaker said:

Hotah getting his own POV chapter is a bit of a head scratcher, I mean his long axe has more personality than he does.  I suppose GRRM just needed a warm body to witness the events in Dorne and transcribe it in a chapter, as opposed to someone who could bring life to the events.

To which I replied:

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:25 AM, Trefayne said:

It's my belief that those chapters were originally planned for Arys Oakheart, but somewhere in the rewrite they were dropped in favor of Areo. Once Arys is killed and Arianne is locked up, GRRM had no perspective for the Dornish court, which I believe was originally planned for Arianne. Arys was supposed to be our window into the Myrcella plot, but GRRM decided to keep that more under wraps and use Arianne to flesh out the consequences.

This would explain why Arys only has one chapter that could have easily been written from Arianne's POV instead. Based on the copy and paste job GRRM did on the first Samwell chapter in AFfC to get it out the door, I would suspect that he either didn't have the time or he didn't have the energy to rewrite that Arys chapter from Arianne's POV. It worked as is and he left it.

Archived