Did Moat Cailin Have a Full-Time Garrison Pre-Conquest?

Brandon Ice-Eyes

1 minute ago, Stormking902 said:

How can you build on Marshland with the level of technology available? The answer is you cannot build on Marshland, even today its a very hard task which involves a lot of high tech pumps and digging.

I was under the impression it was on firmer land on the edge of the marsh.

I'll have to take your word for it about the difficulties of building on marshland, though in Somerset they were building on firm land inside marshes in the early Middle Ages.

Still, there isn't any textual evidence that it was built after the marshes were formed then?

1 hour ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

I was under the impression it was on firmer land on the edge of the marsh.

I'll have to take your word for it about the difficulties of building on marshland, though in Somerset they were building on firm land inside marshes in the early Middle Ages.

Still, there isn't any textual evidence that it was built after the marshes were formed then?

Bran heard talk of Moat Cailin, the ancient stronghold the First Men had built at the top of the Neck

This quote from Bran suggests it was but is contradicted by the quote that the greenseers gatered there and made the Neck with magic

Legend says that the great floods that broke the land bridge that is now the Broken Arm and made the Neck a swamp were the work of the greenseers, who gathered at Moat Cailin to work dark magic. 

As for the ground it is built on it is they edge of the swamp, which might have in the past been firmer and the swamp over the century's just crept up on it. But that is a possibility not a fact and should therefore be something viewed with caution.

1 hour ago, Stormking902 said:

How can you build on Marshland with the level of technology available? The answer is you cannot build on Marshland, even today its a very hard task which involves a lot of high tech pumps and digging. 

Not entirely true, it is difficult but could be done even in medieval times. There are examples of medieval buildings in swamps in England in the region known as The Fens. And also in my own country of the Netherlands which for a large part was coastal swampland in the Middle Ages, specifically the County's of Holland and Zeeland.

2 hours ago, direpupy said:

Bran heard talk of Moat Cailin, the ancient stronghold the First Men had built at the top of the Neck

This quote from Bran suggests it was but is contradicted by the quote that the greenseers gatered there and made the Neck with magic

Legend says that the great floods that broke the land bridge that is now the Broken Arm and made the Neck a swamp were the work of the greenseers, who gathered at Moat Cailin to work dark magic. 

As for the ground it is built on it is they edge of the swamp, which might have in the past been firmer and the swamp over the century's just crept up on it. But that is a possibility not a fact and should therefore be something viewed with caution.

Yup. All legend and supposition. I was just questioning something being stated as fact when there is no textual evidence for it. A small bugbear of mine on here.

2 hours ago, direpupy said:

Not entirely true, it is difficult but could be done even in medieval times. There are examples of medieval buildings in swamps in England in the region known as The Fens. And also in my own country of the Netherlands which for a large part was coastal swampland in the Middle Ages, specifically the County's of Holland and Zeeland.

I'm from a town called Nailsea in Somerset, England. It's been occupied since the Middle Ages, when it was an island surrounded by tidal marshes. Large parts of Somerset were drained and farmed by the Glastonbury monks and their peasants since the early medieval period. Glastonbury Tor is a prime example of a prominatory surrounded by marshes where stone structures have been built, but there are plenty of others locally. 

On 10/11/2018 at 4:20 PM, Bullrout said:

MC was not garrisoned but Torrhen had something almost as good.  He had the bog people defending the pass.  Cheap because they live off the land.  Fried frog, stewed frog, frog casserole, stuffed frog, marinated frog, frog jerky, frog with noodles.  They were an easy keep and costed the Starks nothing.  The north doesn't have anything valuable enough to motivate a powerful house like the Lannisters to invade.  The bog people were enough to discourage the Freys and other river families from trespassing.  

7 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I don't think so. I think the Crannogmen/ House Reed had that on lockdown.

The Crannogmen were a deterrent.  An inconvenience that nobody wanted to hassle with.  Who wants to get hit in the ass with an arrow dipped in human feces and all manner of nasty poisons!  

On 10/12/2018 at 5:20 PM, The Pink Letter said:

The Crannogmen were a deterrent.  An inconvenience that nobody wanted to hassle with.  Who wants to get hit in the ass with an arrow dipped in human feces and all manner of nasty poisons!  

Who wants to get gigged? Men who fight with giant frog giggers are not to be trifled with.

Archived