US Politics: Red Whine Hangover

Fragile Bird

25 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

He got elected, didn't he?  Having survived a series of scandals that would have destroyed a normal candidate who reacted in a normal, predicable way.  Call it whatever you want.

It sure as fuck doesn't fit with the party that pretends its the moral majority, this approach isn't just amoral but utterly immoral. But its pretty clear the decades of noise about morality was just another tactic, and sadly there are still a great many dupes still falling for it.

34 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

He got elected, didn't he?  Having survived a series of scandals that would have destroyed a normal candidate who reacted in a normal, predicable way.  Call it whatever you want.

Lol he got elected because of an archiac and racist system. 

The system helped, but let's not discount the psychotic and evil base of the GOP, that was enabled by FOX, which btw, should be one of the first things firebombed on the civil war, for all the evil they helped build with their filthy lies and nazi dogwhistling.

They want to murder journalists and activists and black people? Well, what goes around comes around as Brett the rapist says.

56 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Trump is reacting like a reality TV star.  I'd put money that the people who love him also love reality TV dramas.  He keeps playing to that demographic.  Whether it will work if to hold the Congress remains to be seen.  I seriously doubt it will work for him to win re-election to a Democratic candidate with a pulse.

Trump's days are numbered

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Trump is reacting like a reality TV star.  I'd put money that the people who love him also love reality TV dramas.  He keeps playing to that demographic.  Whether it will work if to hold the Congress remains to be seen.  I seriously doubt it will work for him to win re-election to a Democratic candidate with a pulse.

Trump's days are numbered

It seems delusional to expect there to be elections held in 2020

Oh i don't know. Things like this:

https://www.aclu.org/blog/free-speech/rights-protesters/trump-administration-seeks-stifle-protests-near-white-house-and

That come out near daily? Maybe you prefer the electoral purges? Or the detentions for being brown? Or maybe the ICE brownshirts on polling places right now? Maybe the slow moving corruption of the FBI? The treason with russia? The war they're  nakedly engineering right now? Gezzz I wonder what will happen.

16 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What indication do you have that the Constitution of the United States will be abrogated by the failure to hold elections in 2020?

well just today the supreme court said it is okay to change election rules a month before an election inclusive of the active and immediate removal of  voting rights from 20% of a state's voters (if they are an ethnic minority).

so big things are clearly coming.

2 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Wasn't all that alpha male nonsense debunked like...20 years ago at least?

Yeah, but let's not let the fact that that "alpha wolf" behaviour is only seen in socially maladjusted animals living in packs completely different from what they would form in nature stop people from hyping up that idea. After all for the type of people that talk about being alpha's it's entirely appropriate.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

Cult leader fits best.

51 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

It seems delusional to expect there to be elections held in 2020

There will be elections in 2020, no doubt. Robert Mugabe (and other dictators in all but name) held regular elections. It's just the result was already set before the first vote was counted. The question is whether the election will be an accurate reflection of the will of all those who should be eligible to vote and want to vote. Or if the outcome will be more influenced by various disenfranchisement and possibly outright fraudulent activities.

11 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I just want to get through the fucking upcoming midterms first.

They’re pretty important.  Sometimes it seems like the most immediate thing is always the most important thing ever but in this case it really is pretty important.  Republicans have been inexorably sucked into Trump’s orbit since 2016 but we’ve only had hot air from either side and no concrete verdict on the actual mood of the country.  These midterms are where the chickens will finally come home to roost - at least among voters.  

If the Dems do well we might see some Republican dingleberries detach from Trump’s giant old ass.  These people are all spineless.  If the electoral wind looks to be anti-Trump so too shall they be.  

4 minutes ago, Triskjavikson said:

I'm still dying to know how many people didn't vote in 2016 because they thought there was no chance that Trump could win.  Not sure there's any stat wizard way to ever figure that out.  

Not really, no.

6 minutes ago, S John said:

They’re pretty important.  Sometimes it seems like the most immediate thing is always the most important thing ever but in this case it really is pretty important.  Republicans have been inexorably sucked into Trump’s orbit since 2016 but we’ve only had hot air from either side and no concrete verdict on the actual mood of the country.  These midterms are where the chickens will finally come home to roost - at least among voters.  

If the Dems do well we might see some Republican dingleberries detach from Trump’s giant old ass.  These people are all spineless.  If the electoral wind looks to be anti-Trump so too shall they be.  

Well I was thinking more of I hope they actually take place and we don;t all get nuked and have to join roving mutant biker gangs.

18 minutes ago, S John said:

I can see some exceptions, but closed primaries make this challenging in the current environment.

They can’t get through a closed primary without their increasingly extreme base and the base is staying Trump. Independents can’t help them here and they’ve alienated other groups like moderates, minorities, women, etc to the point that it’s very questionable whether they’ll ever come back in significant numbers which in turn makes them even more dependent on their base.  Jeff Flake said he’d have been a complete Trumpbot if he was still running because he would have needed to get through that closed primary.

It’s no coincidence that the only Republican to vote no had already beat the closed primary/base problem.

7 minutes ago, Triskjavikson said:

Some random thoughts on the Senate:

There's been increasing talk on the left about how undemocratic the Senate is as an institution, and it sure is.  There's that stat circulating right now that if you add up all of the Senator's states populations and divide by half the 48 dems represent something like 38 million more people than the 50 GOP'ers.

The thing about system exploits is that they work until they don’t. And if you get past the Let Them Vote Cake point, it won’t matter anymore that the exploiters think they’re the real victims. 

1 hour ago, Triskjavikson said:

Does this not have a chance to get much worse?  If people were to continue moving to the coasts and away from the more rural states (even if there are also some states like Texas that people move to).  The smaller the rural state populations get relative to the overall US population the more outsized their voter's votes become in the Senate.

This isn't how geographic sorting works.  First of all,  if you just look at the movement in the electoral college changes over the past few census', population growth is predominately in the south - southwest, bible belt, and of course Florida - not moving to the coasts.  Utah gained an electoral vote/congressional seat during the last census.  Second of all, it's best to think of everything as a rural/urban divide.  Outside of the plains states* (which, yeah, wtf), every state has an urban area "people" can move to.  And by people I think we both mean the disengaged and increasingly disenfranchised.  So on top of urban areas being particularly targeted for gerrymandering among dominant red states, this type of migration will enhance the disproportionality.  But it will do so within states.  A mass rush to the coasts is, as of now, unanticipated - and rather unrealistic on behalf of the people you're thinking of.  Although I suppose I shouldn't rule anything out these days.

ETA:  *To specify and not offend people (or at least to only offend those in the following states), so by "plains states" I only meant the huge swath of land that constitutes Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, and TWO Dakotas.  They have 10 Senators.  They should have, like, 3 tops.  Make them one state.  The "state that's primarily owned by the feds and really, really rich people" state.  I don't know, you guys are creative, clean that up.

Archived