US Politics: Red Whine Hangover

Fragile Bird

4 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

Did BK not even pausing for a breath before diving off the deep end immediately after confirmation spook the other conservative justices? 

7 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

The US military has a long standing tradition of killing US civilians protesting unjust actions by the US government, or unjust actions the US gov lets happen. 

We still haven't forgotten Kent State.

46 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I can't imagine that one could write a law requiring states - existing or not - have their statehood depend on joining a non-Federal organization. That would be a clear and obvious violation of Federal rights, and would easily be dismissed as such from a whole lot of precedent.

Well, Congress would have to approve both the breaking up of California and any compact anyway, so I don't really see how it would violate Federal rights.  But you may be right that a requirement would be rejected.  I suppose California could submit both proposals to Congress simultaneously, and only have them take effect if both are approved.

10 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

In the latest polling (after stabbing his voters in the back) manchins lead has completely vanished. Looks like his spinelessness and lack of principles may have consequences.

I'm glad lol. I hope he fucking loses. There really is no difference between him and a republican. None. 

39 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

I'm glad lol. I hope he fucking loses. There really is no difference between him and a republican. None. 

I hope he wins, he isn’t useless and his vote from such a red state is incredibly valuable.

but I hope he has learned his lesson that if voters wanted someone to vote like a republican they’d elect a republican, and likewise democrats expect him to vote like a democrat otherwise they might as well just not vote.

really political experts, what is the calculation of the republican voter voting for Manchin? Because if they want a republican on every issue Manchin is not what they should vote for and him patronizing them with one vote here or there would just piss me off rather than persuade me to vote for him over someone I’d prefer in every instance.

12 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

I hope he wins, he isn’t useless and his vote from such a red state is incredibly valuable.

but I hope he has learned his lesson that if voters wanted someone to vote like a republican they’d elect a republican, and likewise democrats expect him to vote like a democrat otherwise they might as well just not vote.

really political experts, what is the calculation of the republican voter voting for Manchin? Because if they want a republican on every issue Manchin is not what they should vote for and him patronizing them with one vote here or there would just piss me off rather than persuade me to vote for him over someone I’d prefer in every instance.

Manchin is too arrogant to learn a lesson. He also deserves to lose after going hard right with a Kavanaugh vote. Fuck him, even more so because he is a gaslighting rape apologist piece of shit. He very much is useless. 

Please tell me what votes of his are valuable? A supreme court vote? Lol. He showed that to be bullshit. That was one of the most important things to happen and he spat in every ones face and went on gaslighting the victim.

Who he helped get in will help to undo everything he could possibly vote with Dems on. He's useless scum. 

4 hours ago, Bonnot OG said:

Oh they love violent right wingers. The National Review backed Franco back in the 30s too lol. 

But hey! Fascism can't happen in the US because of checks and balances! We only have large media corporations that support it that totally wouldn't white wash fascism here.

Forbes wrote glowing articles about both Mussolini and Hitler.  And Franco.  I actually read them, even, in the huge magazine format that Forbes was at the time -- closed covers the magazine was as large as a newspaper folded in quarters -- a newspaper from those days, of course, when they were very large, nothing like what those left today are.  In color illustrations, photographs (not yet in color). 

Stalin, not so much found in Forbes. :read::read::read: 

Read them in the basement of the Tulane University's Howard - Tilton Library, the year before Katrina.  The flooding took out all those incredible archives down there.

2 hours ago, Bonnot OG said:

The US military has a long standing tradition of killing US civilians protesting unjust actions by the US government, or unjust actions the US gov lets happen. 

Woo!  See me in -- shock.  Especially after the news reported how nicely, how happily, how laughingly, Kagan was playing with BK when he arrived.

1 hour ago, Bonnot OG said:

Manchin is too arrogant to learn a lesson. He also deserves to lose after going hard right with a Kavanaugh vote. Fuck him, even more so because he is a gaslighting rape apologist piece of shit. He very much is useless. 

Please tell me what votes of his are valuable? A supreme court vote? Lol. He showed that to be bullshit. That was one of the most important things to happen and he spat in every ones face and went on gaslighting the victim.

Who he helped get in will help to undo everything he could possibly vote with Dems on. He's useless scum. 

You just really sound like an idiot sometimes. What votes of his have been valuable? How about his no vote on the AHCA? You put a Republican in his place and wave bye-bye to Obamacare.

Meanwhile, his vote for Kavanaugh WAS meaningless. Kavanaugh already had the votes to get in and I'm sure if Collins had gone the other way, Manchin would have too.

But sure, go ahead and put a Republican in Manchin's spot. I imagine you'll be much more pleased with the results. :rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Read them in the basement of the Tulane University's Howard - Tilton Library, the year before Katrina.  The flooding took out all those incredible archives down there.

We had one of our unis lose a ton of books in flooding last year as well :( Libraries need to be moving their archives well above levels that can flood /tangent

3 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Meanwhile, his vote for Kavanaugh WAS meaningless. Kavanaugh already had rhe votes to get in and I'm sure if Collins had gone the other way, Manchin would have too.

I mean, if he loses the seat because that cynical political calculus was completely wrong and pisses off his base its not precisely meaningless. I'm not going to hope he loses his seat but I hope Senators take note of what happened here and stop assuming that appeasing "moderate" conservative voters is somehow going to translate into more votes for a Democrat. Chasing the centre right has just made the centre right further right.

2 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I mean, if he loses the seat because that cynical political calculus was completely wrong and pisses off his base its not precisely meaningless. I'm not going to hope he loses his seat but I hope Senators take note of what happened here and stop assuming that appeasing "moderate" conservative voters is somehow going to translate into more votes for a Democrat. Chasing the centre right has just made the centre right further right.

Now this I agree with. I think his vote was a stupid vote from the perspective of gaming out how it affects his chances in the midterms. He's had a fairly decent lead in every poll I've seen, so I'm not sure what value he saw in voting for Kavanaugh. I'd much rather have that unnecessary vote go to Donnelly or Heitkamp, who are falling behind in the polls.

But hoping he loses and a Republican wins? That's just dumb.

10 hours ago, Rippounet said:

@Errant Bard should be able to say if I'm full of shit on this one (i.e. if my philosophy teacher was weird)

I was in a scientific curriculum, several decades ago, and my philosophy teachers took leaves because of depression, so this might explain that, but we never broached that subject. Heck, we were more about Bergson, what is happiness and stuff...

This being said, we did have history classes on ancient Greece, were there also was a democracy in Athens. Not the same as ours. The word's meaning is mutable.

And yeah, coming from a country were we had five constitutions, strong secularism and roman law makes us less prone to worship words some guys from another culture wrote centuries ago in other circumstances.

This is the first election that I will actually have to go to the polls.

Damn I'm going to miss mail in voting. That's at least one thing Washington State has right.

Mail in Voting: It was just nice, you know? You get the ballot in the mail, then you take your sweet time going over every candidate/issue that is on it. Then when you're finished you just sign, drop it in a mailbox, and you're done.

18 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That would have been hard to do when Karl Marx hadn't been born yet.  ;)

Yeah, but just imagine knucklehead Rick Santorum reading that passage from Madison.

"Class! What's this about class? That's Marxist talk!"

"Hee Haw. Hee Haw. Hee Haw."

Anyway, I'm not sure how much classical political economy Madison had read, but the classical political economist were much more up front in using the concept of class to do analysis. Marx didn't just start from scratch.

The orange buffoon clown tries his hand at opinion writing.
Not surprisingly he writes something that is ignorant, dishonest, and dumb.

https://www.vox.com/2018/10/10/17959968/trump-usa-today-op-ed-medicare-health-care

USA Today published an op-ed bylined by President Donald Trump Wednesday morning that’s so dishonest it could almost have been Trump speaking extemporaneously at a rally.

In fact, it’s so dishonest that some clever editor appears to have subversively snuck links into the text that debunk some of its key claims — it’s hard to believe that Trump or his communications staff would have done so:

Archived