NFL 2018 III - Gronk is Better at Life Than You

unJon

13 minutes ago, briantw said:

Manning somehow underthrew a five yard pass.

Apparently he's been pressured all night. His oline is horrible. Ereck Flowers is another good candidate for the Chris Conte rule, I think. 

8 hours ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

Has he? What's he averaging, like 60 rushing yards a game?  Last week, I think he was like 2 carries for 50 yards and 13 for -2. 

Giants' O-line is just terrible, garbage, OBJ wants to call out Eli, he should be calling out the O line, if they make holes for Barkley then that opens up the deep stuff for OBJ

If you watch actual football and don’t just look at box scores, Barkley is an absurdly talented running back. Not just athletically talented, but talented at actually utilizing that athleticism in a way that is special in the NFL. The first defender almost never hits him. Just tonight, he evaded something like three tackles while powering through another two just to gain nine yards. He’s an unreal talent just in his rushing ability, let alone his receiving chops.

Anyway, my only observation on this game is that Eli is truly horrific. He was under pressure a lot, sure, but some of those check downs came on plays where he actually got blocking. Fact is, as of right now, he has terrible vision, absolutely no mobility to extend plays when their shit o-line inevitably breaks down, and no deep throw anymore. All he does is hand off and check down to Barkley 85% of the time. Dude is completely washed in basically every way and I don’t even blame Odell’s (overly histrionic) display of frustration. Fuck the Giants, their ownership is clearly terrible.

Giant season is over. Eli should retire after this year. Im still happy with Barkley because we are gonna have another top 3 pick this year. I dont blame the GM for trying to give Eli one more chance at a run, as we know what he has done with a good O line and a defense that gets after the QB. Love you Eli, but its over.

10 hours ago, IamMe90 said:

If you watch actual football and don’t just look at box scores, Barkley is an absurdly talented running back. Not just athletically talented, but talented at actually utilizing that athleticism in a way that is special in the NFL. The first defender almost never hits him. Just tonight, he evaded something like three tackles while powering through another two just to gain nine yards. He’s an unreal talent just in his rushing ability, let alone his receiving chops.

Anyway, my only observation on this game is that Eli is truly horrific. He was under pressure a lot, sure, but some of those check downs came on plays where he actually got blocking. Fact is, as of right now, he has terrible vision, absolutely no mobility to extend plays when their shit o-line inevitably breaks down, and no deep throw anymore. All he does is hand off and check down to Barkley 85% of the time. Dude is completely washed in basically every way and I don’t even blame Odell’s (overly histrionic) display of frustration. Fuck the Giants, their ownership is clearly terrible.

I do watch "actual" football and know Barkley is a beast. I watched most of his PSU games and knew what the Giants were drafting.  But, up until last night, as I said, he mostly has been a one or two homerun runner and then been shutdown.  His total yards from scrimmage is great, but the Giants need a solid 100yrd per game rusher, who can get 50-60yrds receiving.  It's obvious, the GM and ownership screwed up.  Idk how you can decide to go all in on Eli and not build him a line, he's had the worst line the past 3-4 years and now has happyfeet and his internal clock has been sped up, causing the quick releases and check downs.  As for OBJ, I was on board with signing him but at this point I'm all for getting rid of him.  If I was Eli I wouldn't throw to him at all and see how much he likes that.  OBJ is only about OBJ stats, not being a leader 

3 minutes ago, The Lasr Storm said:

Odell atleast didnt hold out. hes expressed his feelings about the team, which is horrible. i feel like he has been a good soldier compared to guys like Bell.

The situations aren't comparable.  OBJ was a first round pick and then was rewarded with a big money, long term deal well before there was any serious discussion of franchise tagging. 

In comparison, Bell was a second round pick, so he was looking at a much less lucrative rookie deal ($4 million over three years), and since then the Steelers have been using the franchise tag multiple years to keep him on one year deals rather than pay him a long term contract.  No surprise Bell hates that, because running backs careers are so short they really only get one contract to make money, and if he gets hurt this year, he might not even get that, (despite being the best running back in the league).

I mean, you can argue that Bell should have accepted the lowball long term offer the Steelers made, but I can hardly blame him for wanting to get paid. He, like Beckham, is one of the elite playmakers in the league, and he can't even get Sammy Watkins money. 

18 minutes ago, The Lasr Storm said:

the franchise tag aint no 2nd round rookie deal salary.

It's not, but it's still less than he's worth if he were on the open market.  And the Steelers are not using the tag to successfully negotiate a long term deal with him, but to get as much out of him as they can before they let him walk.  At which point he will either be older and less valuable (because running backs age in dog years) or injured and dramatically less valuable. 

I mean, you're welcome to scoff at any professional athlete who turns away millions of dollars.  If Aaron Rodgers were to get $5 million a year, that would still be more money than I will earn in my lifetime, just for playing a game.  But it's nonetheless far, far less than Aaron Rodgers is worth.  Bell's example isn't quite that extreme, but nonetheless the Steelers are doing all they can to avoid paying Bell a long term deal, and Bell is understandably pissed.  He doesn't have a lot of options to improve his negotiating position, and holding out is one of them. 

This whole thing started because you said that Beckham has been a "good soldier", unlike Bell.  I would disagree that Beckham going off to the media just after being given a long term deal is being a good teammate.  I certainly can't imagine Larry Fitzgerald or Julio Jones doing that. 

And Bell's grievances against the Steelers (refusing to pay him a long term market rate deal) is far more legitimate than Beckham's (the Giants are bad, why aren't they good, like I would prefer?)

Lol, "good soldier" is a funny way to describe a guy who trashes his team to the media and beats up inanimate objects on the sideline when he's feeling pouty.

There's no comparison between the circumstances of Beckham and Bell. Beckham is a spoiled brat who's been given everything he wants by his franchise (except a competent quarterback) and Bell is a guy who was smart enough to see that the Steelers planned to ride him into the dirt and send him to the glue factory.

By the way, the Giants did try to fix the line. It turns out that drafting a guard high and overpaying Nate Solder weren't enough. But even with a quality line, Eli would suck. He was 3 of 15 on passes where he had more than 2.5 seconds to throw.

2 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Lol, "good soldier" is a funny way to describe a guy who trashes his team to the media and beats up inanimate objects on the sideline when he's feeling pouty.

Beckham losing a fight with the kicking net was the funniest thing that happened all year.  Who would want an NFL without things like that?  Do you hate fun? 

14 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Apparently he's been pressured all night. His oline is horrible. Ereck Flowers is another good candidate for the Chris Conte rule, I think. 

They cut Flowers earlier this week. I think maybe Eli Manning is a good candidate for the Chris Conte rule.

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

Beckham losing a fight with the kicking net was the funniest thing that happened all year.  Who would want an NFL without things like that?  Do you hate fun? 

Oh I don't want him gone. Watching him act out while suffering Eli Manning's incompetence on highlight shows and seeing him throw his franchise under the bus at every opportunity is chicken soup for a Giants hater's soul.

To be fair, I believe the incident with the sideline fan came immediately after OBJ through the key block that sprung Barkley’s 50 yard TD reception. The dude just has a weird way of expressing himself. Honestly I don’t think it would be a big deal if he played in a smaller market.

And let’s be honest, if you were an elite WR, you’d be mad too if that awful, no good, never was good, washed QB was throwing you the ball.

20 years from now we’ll all look back and be baffled that the Giants stayed with him for this long. Eli at his best was slightly above average, but he was rarely at his best. Usually he was in the bottom third of the league.

Archived