NFL 2018 III - Gronk is Better at Life Than You

unJon

8 minutes ago, The Lasr Storm said:

I meant good soldier because Beckhan was getting paid a lot less than he was worth. He could have held out, thats why i referenced Bell. sometimes 2+2=4. 

He got a top-of-the-market extension before his rookie deal ran out. He had a pretty decent rookie deal because he was drafted 12th overall. What amazing sacrifices OBJ has made.

I'm just hoping this Beckham/Giants situation deteriorates to the point where they end up trading him to the Browns.  Baker Mayfield throwing darts to Odell Beckham?  I think we all deserve to see that.

Plus, Landry was trying to recruit him to Cleveland all summer, and he loves Mayfield as well.  Perfect match.

19 minutes ago, The Lasr Storm said:

my prowess on these boards is unquestioned. the peasants must all band together to lay siege to my comments.

Two guys arguing with you is a siege?

It's hard to tell who's suffered more for the Giants: you or OBJ.

14 minutes ago, briantw said:

I'm just hoping this Beckham/Giants situation deteriorates to the point where they end up trading him to the Browns.  Baker Mayfield throwing darts to Odell Beckham?  I think we all deserve to see that.

Plus, Landry was trying to recruit him to Cleveland all summer, and he loves Mayfield as well.  Perfect match.

I would just like to memorialize this first-ever occasion in the Westeros NFL threads: a credible poster ventured the reasonable opinion that a talented player is being wasted on the Giants and might find prosperity in Cleveland.

18 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I would just like to memorialize this first-ever occasion in the Westeros NFL threads: a credible poster ventured the reasonable opinion that a talented player is being wasted on the Giants and might find prosperity in Cleveland.

Cleveland has had many, many (MANY) false starts, but this doesn't look like fools gold.  The defense has loads of talent and by all accounts Mayfield is the real deal.  Things could always go wrong, but it no longer seems reasonable to simply assume things will fall apart. 

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Cleveland has had many, many (MANY) false starts, but this doesn't look like fools gold.  The defense has loads of talent and by all accounts Mayfield is the real deal.  Things could always go wrong, but it no longer seems reasonable to simply assume things will fall apart. 

Just need to shitcan Hue Jackson's dumb ass when this season is over.  We've got our Jeff Fisher right now.  Now we need to find our Sean McVay.

20 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Montana had 2 rings before Jerry Rice was even drafted. Aside from Dwight Clark, famous for the Catch, can you name any offensive player from the ‘81 team?

I just want to make sure I follow your logic. The last thing I’d ever want to do is misrepresent your argument.

Montana wad great before Rice

Therefore, Montana made Rice

Which means Rice isn’t as good as we think.

Moss is the GOAT?

Just now, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

I just want to make sure I follow your logic. The last thing I’d ever want to do is misrepresent your argument.

Moss is the GOAT?

I don’t think it’s an either/or. Especially because both performed at that level without each other.

25 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Montana had 2 rings before Jerry Rice was even drafted. Aside from Dwight Clark, famous for the Catch, can you name any offensive player from the ‘81 team?

Why would you expect non-49ers fans to know more than two offensive players from a Super Bowl Team from 37 years ago?  Can you name any players besides Jim Plunkett from the Oakland team that won the Super Bowl the year before that?

EDIT: maybe you can if you follow both Oakland and SF.  I know I can't.

Just now, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Moss is the GOAT?

I think he was responding to the previous arguments that Montana benefitted from top tier receiving talent for his championships. Which is why he asked people to name an offensive player from 81 besides Dwight Clark. 

(Freddie Solomon was the bigger star at WR that year and the primary target on The Catch but I am a Niners fan who's read a lot about that episode in history)

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Why would you expect non-49ers fans to know more than two offensive players from a Super Bowl Team from 37 years ago?  Can you name more than any players besides Jim Plunkett from the Oakland team that won the Super Bowl the year before that?

Sure, stickum and Lester Hayes and Cliff Branch and Jack Tatum and...eh, name escapes me but the guy always mentioned with Hayes, names kinda similar. I can name more, and to be fair both of these teams are before my time, I only know from watching lots of NFL stuff, like Top Tens...and it’s possible some of my Raiders mentioned are different era. But my point is more that I’d expect to know some if I was proffering definitive opinions about how Plunkett et al compared with others and was specifically citing their teammates as a decisive factor.

Edit: Stickum is Belitnikov? Not sure on spelling, always just remember he was famous for being soaked in the stuff and tough for a little guy. Oh, and obviously Marcus Allen, thought i’d said his name first.

14 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I think he was responding to the previous arguments that Montana benefitted from top tier receiving talent for his championships. Which is why he asked people to name an offensive player from 81 besides Dwight Clark. 

(Freddie Solomon was the bigger star at WR that year and the primary target on The Catch but I am a Niners fan who's read a lot about that episode in history)

Yeah, exactly. ‘He had Rice’ is often said as THE argument which is surprising when half his career/rings went by before Rice graduated. Montana is ‘81 was about as close as you’ll get to a 1 man NFL championship, at least from what I can see in the numbers/on film. Even by ‘84 they’d only really added Roger Craig in terms of anyone worth noting on offense, and he was a rookie playing FB. (They were stacked on D, though).

12 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

When obvious joke was apparently not obvious enough.  

:P

Thanks for that clarification, because "Montana was good before Rice therefore Montana made Rice" was a terrible argument. ;)

34 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I was all geared up to get bucked about my A-Bomb comments in the Nam thread, so take that into account. :(

I'll just picture you like Martin Sheen in the opening scene of Apocalypse Now.

(we all got a peek)

23 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Thanks for that clarification, because "Montana was good before Rice therefore Montana made Rice" was a terrible argument. ;)

It was meant to be terrible lol

Archived