NFL 2018 III - Gronk is Better at Life Than You

unJon

@BLU-RAY we’re definitely seeing the effect of changes in rules and officiating to facilitate the passing game.  QB stats will be distorted compared to history.  The league will be happy with a more attacking game and more points on the board to keep fans excited (ratings were declining). 

Bill Barnwell wrote a good piece on ESPN recently about how NFL offenses are looking more like college offenses, and the route to success now is to draft a good, cheap, young QB to sling the ball to a receiving corps that’s now much better protected.  Even the stodgy defense-led football of the Bears now includes an Andy Reid-type offense from Nagy. 

@Iskaral Pust Oh, no question - that's been going on since, what, 2006 or so. I was just surprised at the extent of the jump, this would be a pretty crazy outlier if it holds up (I also kind of imagine that points per game declines a little bit as the season progresses due to cold and injury, so maybe it'll come back to earth?)

Like, the new roughing the passer guidelines excepted, most of the passing-offense-friendly rules have been in place for a little while - and the offensive numbers have been trending this way alongside them. But two sigmas out!? I think you're correct that, as Barnwell and Kevin Clark (and probably a bunch of other folks) have written, the integration of more attacking, Air Raid-style offenses has hit sort of an inflection point this year - you have the Colts running some of that stuff thanks to Frank Reich, the Bears and Chiefs as you've pointed out; a new season of the Rams; etc. It's exciting.

19 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Backwards pass. Counts as a rushing TD.

It was an outside screen pass at the hash. In what world is that a rush while jet sweeps count as a pass when the QB “throws” the ball less than a foot?

5 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

It was an outside screen pass at the hash. In what world is that a rush while jet sweeps count as a pass when the QB “throws” the ball less than a foot?

I hear you man. But that's the way it's scored. If it goes backwards, it's not a pass, if it goes forward, it is a pass. 

22 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I hear you man. But that's the way it's scored. If it goes backwards, it's not a pass, if it goes forward, it is a pass. 

Arg!!!!

On a more serious note, what the hell was that awful dance that Cousins and other guys around the league were doing? You have to be maximum confident to do that crud in public.

13 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Rodgers dragged them to another victory, but they barely squeaked a home victory against a weak 49ers (Garopplo injured) just like they squeaked past Chicago at home in the opening game, when Trubiskey couldn’t throw for nuts.  And they lost to a poor Lions and an indifferent Redskins.

Perhaps they’ll get better but I doubt GB are scaring many opponents so far. 

This is how the Packers have played during the last two seasons they’ve made the playoffs. The defense is so bad that and the last minute offense is so good that no victory or loss is guaranteed, regardless of match up. The last time we made the playoffs playing like this, we made it to the NFC Championship game. We lost horrifically, but still, that’s a pretty successful playoff run.

Of course teams are scared of the Packers. Rodgers can manufacture late game comebacks with less time on the clock than any other QB in the league. And despite the defense playing shit, they somehow manage to get stops at these key moments pretty consistently, all things considered.

3 hours ago, Triskjavikson said:

That's the dead arm dance.  And since Thielen is on the best receptions pace in history he's allowed to introduce stuff like that.  

Speaking of Thielen, I read an article on The Ringer where they actually wrote that he wasn't as physically impressive or athletic as guys like Antonio Brown and DeAndre Hopkins.  It took me about ten seconds to look up the numbers and confirm what I already knew...that Thielen is in fact more physically impressive and more athletic than either of those guys.  He's taller, but ran a faster forty time than either.  He's also generally got better workout metrics across the board.

Just ridiculous that professional writers can't look this shit up.

Adam Theilen is not as physically impressive of athletic as DeAndre Hopkins or Antonio Brown. Forget numbers, use your eyeballs. Pick literally any play of any of them, and you should notice the differences before the ball is snapped.

4 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Adam Theilen is not as physically impressive of athletic as DeAndre Hopkins or Antonio Brown. Forget numbers, use your eyeballs. Pick literally any play of any of them, and you should notice the differences before the ball is snapped.

Eh...I consider both of those guys more technicians than athletic specimens.  Not that they're not athletic, but they're nowhere near Julio Jones or Odell Beckham as athletes.  Plus, Hopkins basically pushes off on every catch to create separation.  :lol:

33 minutes ago, briantw said:

Eh...I consider both of those guys more technicians than athletic specimens.  Not that they're not athletic, but they're nowhere near Julio Jones or Odell Beckham as athletes.  Plus, Hopkins basically pushes off on every catch to create separation.  :lol:

Dude. Speed isn't the be all end all of athleticism. And while Julio and ODBj are on another plane of existence, Theilen is not. He's got good traits, that's good. I have never seen Adam Theilen break the laws of physics on the sideline so often it's routine.

C'mon, man! A guy can be the best WR in the league a given season without making shit up about his abilities. Reggie Wayne was a tier-1 elite WR for a long time. Nobody felt the urge to pretend he was on the level with Randy Moss or T.O.

6 minutes ago, Triskjavikson said:

Plus I believe Buffalo is bringing Derek Anderson in because of their Peterman problems.  But no Kaepernick.  

I'd give Derek Anderson the slightest of passes, because he's a good backup. But yeah, the fact that they even went into the season with Peterman is a dead giveaway.

28 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

C'mon, man! A guy can be the best WR in the league a given season without making shit up about his abilities. Reggie Wayne was a tier-1 elite WR for a long time. Nobody felt the urge to pretend he was on the level with Randy Moss or T.O.

I'm not pretending he's on their level.  Hell, I even said he's nowhere near Beckham or Julio as an athlete.

I'm also not making anything up about his abilities.  I'm looking at metrics and comparing them between athletes.  I never said he was a better WR than Brown (who is one of the best ever) or Hopkins (who has a chance to be one of the best ever), just that he is at the very least comparable as an athlete.  Thielen basically has no chance to ever be as good a player as either of those two, because he got started so late, but that's not what we're talking about here.

Archived