NFL 2018 III - Gronk is Better at Life Than You

unJon

Gruden was terrible at drafting in Tampa, he's going to blow that stockpile of picks in a very Brownsian way. He's going to trade away Carr, who's been good in the past, but what quarterback has Offensive Guru John Gruden ever developed?

A first round pick for Amari Cooper seems like they overpaid but from the Cowboys POV, it’s not about a last ditch attempt to make the play-offs, it’s to decide if Dak is worth a big contract next year.  He has declined badly since his rookie season but arguably has poor targets this year.  So was last year just a blip for him?  They need a good enough WR option this season to make a good judgment before giving him $25m+ for several years.  Raiders knew the Cowboys had a need. 

OTOH, if Dak is poor again then they don’t have a first round pick next year to replace him or Cooper.  But Dallas have plenty of cap space to try other things if they avoid over-paying a poor QB. 

53 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I had it on good authority that Eli was gonna throw for 5000 yards this season too.

Oh child, please tell me what QB would succeed behind that O Line? Eli has thrown for 5000 yards almost, 4900 and change once and who knew Nate Soldier would be as bad as Flowers almost?  Eli hasnt been good, but hes not the reason they are 1-6 solely.

That the Giants have so many problems outside of Eli is just further evidence it is time to move on.  I don't think anyone watching him play thinks he's going to be physically good enough to lead a team by the time the Giants can fix all of their holes.

We all agree that Eli isn't the only problem in New York.  So... what is he?

Could you trade him to Jacksonville and resurrect his career?  What level team does he need to still be serviceable for a few more years?

Just now, Rhom said:

Could you trade him to Jacksonville and resurrect his career?  What level team does he need to still be serviceable for a few more years?

I think 2019 sees Eli making insurance commercials as part of Peyton's "Band".  He could make a run this year with JAX given the chance though - mostly handing off and setting up punts and letting the defense win without defending short fields because of loads of Bortleovers.

3 minutes ago, The Lasr Storm said:

what qbs are there in this years draft? they will play Eli. 

Locke out of Mizzou is the "top" QB in the draft.  He plays Kentucky this weekend which is one of the top defenses in the SEC (believe it or not...).  

12 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Locke out of Mizzou is the "top" QB in the draft.  He plays Kentucky this weekend which is one of the top defenses in the SEC (believe it or not...).  

I havent seen anyone labeling him a franchise QB. hes had a nice college career though. Tua is the one everyone will be all in on.

24 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Do the Giants want to see him reunite with Coughlin? I doubt that, they want Eli to go out a Giant.

2 minutes ago, The Lasr Storm said:

I havent seen anyone labeling him a franchise QB. hes had a nice college career though. Tua is the one everyone will be all in on.

Yes... but Tua is a true sophomore and therefore ineligible for the draft.

Some team will be stuck drafting Locke and wasting away while another team is terrible next year and gets Tua.

8 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Yes... but Tua is a true sophomore and therefore ineligible for the draft.

Some team will be stuck drafting Locke and wasting away while another team is terrible next year and gets Tua.

exactly, there is no reason Tua should be made to stay in college. he can only hurt his value.

4 minutes ago, The Lasr Storm said:

Do the Giants want to see him reunite with Coughlin? I doubt that, they want Eli to go out a Giant.

Eli's got a no trade clause so doesn't really matter what the Giants want, ultimately it's up to Eli if he wants to be traded...... to do this right the Giants need to draft anyone but a QB after this season(cause if Herbert doesn't come out then there's really no QB to go after), force Eli to retire or accept trade, play Lauletta next year and suck but at least see what he's got and if he's bad get Tua in 2020 draft

19 minutes ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

Eli's got a no trade clause so doesn't really matter what the Giants want, ultimately it's up to Eli if he wants to be traded...... to do this right the Giants need to draft anyone but a QB after this season(cause if Herbert doesn't come out then there's really no QB to go after), force Eli to retire or accept trade, play Lauletta next year and suck but at least see what he's got and if he's bad get Tua in 2020 draft

If I were the Giants and Eli refused a trade, I'd waive him.  It's not like he's going to get much back in a trade anyway.

I really think he's that far gone.

As a lifelong Ole Miss fan I've been following Eli Manning since he was a sophomore in high school.

I have no illusions or homerism in this regard - it is time for him to retire. In fact, he's at least a year late. And I think he knows it. He's got a house in suburban Jersey, a wife and young kids. He's not interested in playing for another team, and the Giants have no incentive to keep him around after this season. He was never the best or even top 5 in the league (maybe fringe top 10). He's nowhere close today. The only thing that makes sense is for him to retire after this year.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Haha. Never miss an opportunity. I’ve seen Herbert as the top prospect mostly though.

Unfortunately Giants really are tanking the wrong year in regards to Tua. I was thinking they may draft a OT and make us suffer through another Eli season next year(or whatever they decided), but it looks to be a weak tackle class. Completely wasting another season with OBJ and Barkley isn’t really plausible so I’m hoping they get Herbert in the draft.

12 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Haha. Never miss an opportunity. I’ve seen Herbert as the top prospect mostly though.

Unfortunately Giants really are tanking the wrong year in regards to Tua. I was thinking they may draft a OT and make us suffer through another Eli season next year(or whatever they decided), but it looks to be a weak tackle class. Completely wasting another season with OBJ and Barkley isn’t really plausible so I’m hoping they get Herbert in the draft.

If Greg Little is the top tackle in the class (as I've seen some experts report) then yeah, it's a damn weak tackle class.

31 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

If Greg Little is the top tackle in the class (as I've seen some experts report) then yeah, it's a damn weak tackle class.

I haven’t seen Miss. much but I read he’s been pretty shaky this year. 

Also, just to keep shitting on the Giants- Solder has been downright awful this year. He gets beat off the edge consistently. They just can’t seem to get it right with the O-line. Weird

13 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I haven’t seen Miss. much but I read he’s been pretty shaky this year. 

Also, just to keep shitting on the Giants- Solder has been downright awful this year. He gets beat off the edge consistently. They just can’t seem to get it right with the O-line. Weird

Little hasn't shaky per se, but "just" an above average LT. He will probably be a solid starter in the NFL, but I can't see him being a game changer. 

Solder is getting paid what, $15 million this year to be one of the bottom 5 LTs in the league. That was an awful signing in retrospect. 

13 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Little hasn't shaky per se, but "just" an above average LT. He will probably be a solid starter in the NFL, but I can't see him being a game changer. 

Solder is getting paid what, $15 million this year to be one of the bottom 5 LTs in the league. That was an awful signing in retrospect. 

I am amazed how badly Solder declined. He was slipping towards the end in New England, after many years of reliable competence, but I thought it was just lingering injuries.

I'm glad he got a big free agent contract and signing bonus from someone, because he seems like a nice guy and he has a sick kid. But to see him stinking it up on Eli Manning's behalf is more satisfying than the contract the Yankees gave Jacoby Ellsbury.

Archived