NFL 2018 III - Gronk is Better at Life Than You

unJon

6 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Lolz. Philip Rivers is statistically better in every way despite playing two fewer years than Manning. We would be talking about Rivers this year as the potential MVP if not for Goff and Mahomes. Here's all you need to ask yourself to settle this debate: What are they thought of when they were at their best and at their worst? Felipe, at his best, is just outside of the top 5 and at his worst just outside of the top 10. He's spent much of his career in that 6-12 zone. OTOH, Eli, at his best is maybe top tenish for a single season and at his worst is bottom five starting QB. Eli has two rings, and Rivers should have won at least one when the Chargers were loaded back in the day, but Eli has never been as good as Rios. 

whos thrown for more yardage or tds in a single season? whos won playoff games where they took an absolute beating ,against Harbaughs 49ers maybe? who has had the worst oline in the league for several years? 

Thats right, Eli. 

12 hours ago, unJon said:

Texans seem to have righted the ship. Watson finally looked good for most of a game. D is doing what it needs to do (they got robbed out of the defensive TD before halftime). 

Then down goes Fuller.  A tough break for the team.

And the rule is and long has been that if the QB is moving his arm forward in a throwing motion, it is a pass.  This is nothing new.

13 hours ago, Triskjavikson said:

Pretty weird to declare that Rivers will never have hardware at this point.  Sure, he's up there in years and the window is closing.  But they are a bona fide contender this year and seem pretty stacked at a few spots for the next few years.  And with how protected QB's are these days maybe Philip has 3 more good years.  What Brady and Brees are doing aging-wise is historically remarkable, but it seems like there's reason to wonder if it's not a new normal too.  

theres a chance, but you see them getting past the Pats anytime soon?

4 minutes ago, The Lasr Storm said:

theres a chance, but you see them getting past the Pats anytime soon?

The Pats gave up 31 points to Trubisky and the Bears. 

The Pats lost to Blake Bortles and the Jaguars - badly. 

3 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

Then down goes Fuller.  A tough break for the team.

And the rule is and long has been that if the QB is moving his arm forward in a throwing motion, it is a pass.  This is nothing new.

Is that the rule when the pass goes backwards? Cause he threw the ball backwarss which is a lateral and is a fumble.

3 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Is that the rule when the pass goes backwards? Cause he threw the ball backwarss which is a lateral and is a fumble.

The example they've given over the years is the pass in a strong windstorm is a forward pass even if the wind blows it backwards.

5 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

The example they've given over the years is the pass in a strong windstorm is a forward pass even if the wind blows it backwards.

Gotcha. I was watching the game on mute so didn't see the explanations for why it was called back. Not sure this is the same situation since it looked more like he was tucking and threw the ball backwards when hit but I get it.

41 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Gotcha. I was watching the game on mute so didn't see the explanations for why it was called back. Not sure this is the same situation since it looked more like he was tucking and threw the ball backwards when hit but I get it.

I didn't see the game at all last night and only watched clips of it today.  But 'intent' matters more than results in this sort of call.

Another way to look at it is not where the ball went, but where it was targeted. If  the target was behind the thrower, it's a lateral (even if it ends up not being a backwards pass). If it's not behind the thrower, it's a forward pass (even if the ball ends up going backwards).

20 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Another way to look at it is not where the ball went, but where it was targeted. If  the target was behind the thrower, it's a lateral (even if it ends up not being a backwards pass). If it's not behind the thrower, it's a forward pass (even if the ball ends up going backwards).

Sort of but I think this breaks down in the reverse? I mean if the target is slightly backwards but the QB throws a bad throw that goes slightly forwards, and ball hits the ground, that would be an incomplete pass not a fumble. I think?

On 10/25/2018 at 9:33 AM, the Greenleif Stark said:

If anyone of those QBs had the Giants O-line they'd have just as many issues as Eli.  Yes, Eli has weapons but he's been sacked 20 times so far, he's on pace to be sacked 55 times this season.  Would love to see Brady or Rodgers survive that and still be good.

Rodgers wouldn't be sacked this many times because he's actually mobile, can extend plays with his mobility, and make throws into tight windows on the move. Qualities that Eli obviously does not have at this point (if he ever did).

Or maybe he would have already broken his collarbone at this point... Lols.

Archived